5 wk kitten skin problem

SavannahFaye

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a five week old kitten I have been caring for and he has developed a skin irritation on his cheeks, between his eyes and under his chin. It’s a little discolored, starting to bald and flaking. I rescued him, he was left behind by a feral mother and I took him to the vet who prescribed him antibiotics for a respiratory infection and some ointment for an eye infection. He has recovered and is doing well. I have a check up appointment in 2 weeks but I am worried he may have ring worm or something that needs more immediate attention. He is a very messy eater so I give him a bath once a day and try to clean up after meals. The skin irritation only showed up two days ago and I have had him for 2 weeks. If anyone know what this looks like please let me know.
Thank you!
923C2DBD-9470-4464-965C-CE771BDCA6CF.jpeg
65E97476-10CF-4493-A1B4-AA9151529F25.jpeg
6C9BB9F6-93A5-4E81-9579-47582DE85CCC.jpeg
5E5B84EA-E793-4F8B-9871-55557829BBEF.jpeg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh my! I’m not sure what it is, but it may be fungal. I would get him seen right away so that you can get treatment started once it’s diagnosed.

He really should not have a daily bath. It removes all the natural oils from his body that protect his skin and fur. Try just wiping him down after meals with a damp cloth for now.

Please let us know what the vet says.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SavannahFaye

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh my! I’m not sure what it is, but it may be fungal. I would get him seen right away so that you can get treatment started once it’s diagnosed.

He really should not have a daily bath. It removes all the natural oils from his body that protect his skin and fur. Try just wiping him down after meals with a damp cloth for now.

Please let us know what the vet says.
Thank you for replying. I was able to get an appointment at the vet for Monday instead of two weeks. I’ll let you know what they say. Thank you for the bathing advice. I have had kittens before but never this young. Glad I can skip the daily baths : D

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:welcomesign: Welcome to TCS!! Thank you for rescuing this kitten - he is gorgeous. Just to be on the safe side, be extra careful with hand washing after handling him. You could consider using unprocessed coconut oil as well but the vet will probably have other treatment to prescribe. Please keep us updated!
Ringworm in Cats