5 weeks pregnant

Sevi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, my girl is around 5 weeks pregnant since she has mated she has kept herself on her own lying on the back of sofa, she eats and drinks and seems healthy,she just doesn't want anybody to touch her belly or walks away from me if I sit next to her. It is usual as before she always slept with me on my bed now she prefers to be alone. Is this normal? I do have another female cat maybe she's the reason she keeps to herself🤷🏼‍♀️ please no abuse.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hormones are in high gear during pregnancy, so that pretty much explains her changed behavior. Hormones can cause all sorts of unusual behavior. Most cats go back to the way they were before pregnancy once their kittens wean.

Is your other female cat spayed? Were they good friends prior to the pregnancy?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sevi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hormones are in high gear during pregnancy, so that pretty much explains her changed behavior. Hormones can cause all sorts of unusual behavior. Most cats go back to the way they were before pregnancy once their kittens wean.

Is your other female cat spayed? Were they good friends prior to the pregnancy?

Sevi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes my other cat is spayed recently, they both were booked in but Luna had escaped during moving house and got pregnant. I won't say they are good friends they always hiss at each other or swipe but never fight.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That probably explains why your pregnant cat is standoffish now - she wasn’t besties with your other cat and pregnancy hormones have her feeling protective of her unborn kittens. :)

Sevi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That probably explains why your pregnant cat is standoffish now - she wasn’t besties with your other cat and pregnancy hormones have her feeling protective of her unborn kittens. :)
Thankyou for your reply, that's what I thought it might be, I'll just have to keep the separated in the last couple of weeks, I don't want her to delay labour because of her sister.