5 Weeks Old Kitten And New Kitten Owners

Sassypants

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys so I got 2 new kittens last week one is a boy (Marley) and a girl (Sassy). They were found in a garage they are approximately 5 weeks. The mom would no longer take care of them. Since arrived, our male kitten is using his litter box by himself and is climbing around everywhere. They are both eating Blue wilderness wet food mixed with KMR 2nd step milk. Last Saturday it seemed like the girl was constipated and I was afraid she would strain herself and I made the mistake of giving her regular milk. She started having diarrhea. I took her to the vet 3 days later and they gave her fluids and put her on an antibiotic. That was 2 days ago, since then she hasn't stopped peeing on herself, she was sleeping and got her bottom half soaked! She doesn't even make the effort to use the litter box. When she does try, she sits there and poops very little and then gets up and poops under the couch. I've had to use kitty wipes on her daily. But it seems like every time I clean her she starts to poop and pee on herself again. Constantly throughout the day there's poop stuck on her tail, legs and bottom feet and staining everywhere. I've already given her 3 baths, I know I'm not supposed to bathe her so much, but the smell of the diarrhea she had mixed with the urine was unbearable! She was even thankful after each bath. Obviously I can't bathe her everyday. Her anus is also really swollen, but I figured it's irritated. She is very playful and eating well, however she never lifts her tail. Any suggestions on what might be going on and how to get her to use the litter box, or help on why she isn't using it and the other kitten is. She also won't climb on anything and is a little wobbly on her back feet. Should I take her to the vet again ? Any suggestions are welcome. Thank you

DeweytheLion

The Biggest Smallest Kitten
Adult Cat
Purraise
Definitely take her to the vet again, just to be sure it's only swelling. There's always a possibility for prolapse with straining and diarrhea
You may or may not already know, but when you "clean" her bottom, you're stimulating her to release her bladder and bowels. Is that the only time she wets and dirties herself?
If not, it could very well have something to do with her health. Is the diarrhea gone? Is she eating well?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sassypants

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The diarrhea seems to be gone but she always has poop on her bottom. She is eating very well. However she pees on herself every time she naps, just like a baby. She wakes up soaked.

DeweytheLion

The Biggest Smallest Kitten
Adult Cat
Purraise
She may grow out of it, if it doesn't have anything to do with her health. It's possible she may be thinking she's getting stimulated.
But the fact that it's both number one and two that seems she can't control is a bit concerning, so a vet would probably have the best advice for you, honestly :lol:
I wish you guys the best of luck! Someone may have better advice :p

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sassypants Sassypants

She is only 5 weeks old and so she really is still a baby. She has also been through a lot already. She will get regular with the litter box soon. Be patient. :)

Give her time to straighten out her issues. In the meantime, put a dab of A&D diaper ointment on her bottom. It will heal it. She's raw from the diarrhea.

As she grows bigger and feels more secure, she will climb and play more. :)

Oscar&Copper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My baby wasn't even eliminating without stimulation at 5 weeks. So the fact that she can't control it yet isn't too surprising to me. Give the vet a call and talk to them. My vet was on speed dial when Oscar was a baby, they were my lifeline. Have they started their deworming meds yet?

Sassypants

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sassypants Sassypants

She is only 5 weeks old and so she really is still a baby. She has also been through a lot already. She will get regular with the litter box soon. Be patient. :)

Give her time to straighten out her issues. In the meantime, put a dab of A&D diaper ointment on her bottom. It will heal it. She's raw from the diarrhea.

Sassypants Sassypants

Thank you, this morning I found her sleeping on the couch, meaning she is already climbing ! I will use the ointment, how often do you suggest I reapply ? Thanks again

Sassypants

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My baby wasn't even eliminating without stimulation at 5 weeks. So the fact that she can't control it yet isn't too surprising to me. Give the vet a call and talk to them. My vet was on speed dial when Oscar was a baby, they were my lifeline. Have they started their deworming meds yet?
They ran a parasite fecal test on both of them came back negative. Would that be the deworming test ? Sorry it's the 1st time I've had a cat, I feel so lost !

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Reapply as often as necessary!

The fecal test was for parasites and probably worms too. Good it came back negative!

All questions are welcome! :)

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Make sure you are using only non-clumping litter for them until they are 12 weeks old. Just like a human baby, everything goes in the mouth. You don't want clumping in their tummies.
You can try putting her in the box and moving her front paws to simulate burying the poop. Let her play and look around while she's in the box. She will get the idea.

I had to give mine 'butt baths' almost daily because of the Giardia. As long as you make sure they are completely dry and stay warm afterwards, you will be fine with the amount of baths you need to give her.

Sassypants

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is it normal for my 6 week old kitten to wet herself when she's sleeping ? Every time she wakes up from a nap she's soaked with pee. I keep on having to bathe her because the smell penetrates on her coat. Should I be concerned ? Please advise thank you !

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Its not that common. Try to let her go pee before she fells asleep...

supergirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,

First, see your vet and make sure your cat is not suffering from an infection of the bladder or urinary tract. If there are no health issues, and she's still wetting her bed, then it's a behavioural issue,
-It might be that the litter box is far, is your house more than one floor? you will need at least one litter box on each floor.
-or not in a safe place she needs it to be in a place where she can see the world but they can't see her, not stowed under anything, or inside a cabinet
-or maybe it's in a noisy place like beside a washing machine,
-maybe the litter you use doesn't suit her or the litter box itself, some cats don't like covered litter boxes
-do you have other cats? sharing litter boxes isn't an option for most cats, you will need one for each plus one.

Stay patient and take your time solving it, I know it's frustrating and disgusting to find the pee.

Here's an article from petmd.com for more details.

Why Your Cat is Peeing on Your Bed | petMD

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You need to put the kitten in the litter box both before and after every meal and naps so she will learn to use it. Much like a small child needs to be reminded "to go" before a nap, the kitten needs your help. :)