5 weeks old kitten acting strange help needed :(

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry that you are going through all this with your baby. He is lucky to have you and all the care you have bestowed upon him so far. I hope you find a solution to the hair loss that doesn't involve a complete shave down. Maybe a cream that you put on the skin in their ear where there's no hair anyway?? I used something similar for my boy who had thyroid issues because he wouldn't take pills.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like the vet probably suspects ringworm (a fungal infection), since ketoconazole is used for ringworm.

Shaving and using a topical cream isn't the most effective treatment for ringworm. Most vets also include oral medication. Vets used to shave, but it's now thought to be ineffective and actually can have the effect of spreading the fungus all over the cat. Sometimes it's necessary to shave if a cat has long matted fur that makes it difficult to treat.

I would go to a different vet. If they suspect ringworm, ask to have a culture done at the same time as you begin treatment. Even though you won't get immediate results from a fungal culture and you will have to begin treatment without definite results, it will be helpful to know for sure what it is.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ketoconazole is an anti-fungal cream that is used to treat ringworm, athlete’s foot, and dandruff, among other things. The vet you saw has not said your kitten has ringworm, has he? Ringworm will show up under an ultraviolet “black” light. The alopecia diagnosis is, as already stated, a rather generic term for hair loss. The question is: what is causing the sudden hair loss?

On the off chance your kitten has a fungal infection, go ahead and apply the cream to the affected areas as directed. It won’t hurt. The pictures you posted do not look like typical ringworm though.

You are already switching his food in case it’s an allergy, so that is two options that will either begin to work or not.

Another concern I have is whether it is genetic. Purebred pets tend to have issues such as this at times that can be exacerbated by stress or anxiety. This is harder to treat because it requires anti-anxiety meds and possibly other environmental changes like getting him a buddy his own age or cat trees to climb and scratching posts.

I advise that you NOT shave him, and that you do try the ketoconazole cream and the diet change for a couple of weeks to see if he improves, and if he does not improve, he may need a cortisone shot for starters. In fact, it would not hurt for him to get a cortisone shot now.

Here are articles about hair loss in cats:

What to Do If Your Cat Is Losing Its Hair

Why is My Cat Losing Hair? Hair Loss in Cats | PetMD

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another concern I have is whether it is genetic. Purebred pets tend to have issues such as this at times that can be exacerbated by stress or anxiety. This is harder to treat because it requires anti-anxiety meds and possibly other environmental changes like getting him a buddy his own age or cat trees to climb and scratching posts.
Persians can be specifically more susceptible to ringworm infection than other cats. Cats naturally have some resistance to ringworm, but Persians and related breeds can be more susceptible (not just because they have more hair). Some breeds can also be more susceptible to allergies or hot spots. Kittens bought in a pet shop, or from a breeder that lets their kittens go to homes at a very young age, are also more likely to have issues due to irresponsible breeding practices (breeding unhealthy cats, and/or inbreeding). So in this case I agree that the kitten might have special challenges to overcome.

However, hair loss issues aren't typical for most breeds, so I would disagree with the blanket statement about purebred pets. Responsibly bred cats of most breeds shouldn't be any more likely to experience hair loss than random-bred cats.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

johnmike29

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank all of you for your replies and help, I saw not single person recommending me to get the shaving treatment so that is out of option.
The thing is when I was buying this kitty, I noticed a really really small bald patch on his left eye, but ignored it. And that bald patch started to increase and increase. Its reaching his right eye now and the nose is also naked.

I did some research online for ringworm, and it says that there will be reddish circular marks on his naked skin, but there are none. I don't really know if thats the case. The new food is about quarter done and still there aren't any problems. So, the food allergy thing isn't the case here as well.
I don't know what to do😭.

I guess I will buy the cream and apply it myself on the infected areas and see if it works

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ringworm doesn't always look like reddish circular marks, especially in cats. It can look like your kitten's hair loss. However, you really need a culture to know for sure.

If I were you, I would
  • start using the cream
  • also use an anti fungal shampoo (carefully making sure the kitten gets totally dry afterwards so it doesn't get a chill)
  • clean the house as though I were dealing with ringworm
  • and at the same time I would look for another vet and have the kitten properly examined with a UV lamp, and have a ringworm culture done.

johnmike29

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I took some new photos of the kitty for you guys, and his bald patches were kind of glowing in UV
;eft paw.jpg left ear.jpg Face 1.jpg tummy.jpg Face 2.jpg

johnmike29

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ringworm doesn't always look like reddish circular marks, especially in cats. It can look like your kitten's hair loss. However, you really need a culture to know for sure.

If I were you, I would
  • start using the cream
  • also use an anti fungal shampoo (carefully making sure the kitten gets totally dry afterwards so it doesn't get a chill)
  • clean the house as though I were dealing with ringworm
  • and at the same time I would look for another vet and have the kitten properly examined with a UV lamp, and have a ringworm culture done.
Thanks a lot, I will surely start following all these

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Until you get the cream, you can apply a thin layer of coconut oil to soothe the irritated patches. Ketoconazole cream can sting or burn irritated skin so the less inflamed, the easier it will be on your adorable kitten.

johnmike29

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Until you get the cream, you can apply a thin layer of coconut oil to soothe the irritated patches. Ketoconazole cream can sting or burn irritated skin so the less inflamed, the easier it will be on your adorable kitten.
I really appreciate you all for giving me such tips. I will surely do this beforehand

johnmike29

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I forgot to ask this before, should I buy the lotion, cream or shampoo? Because I went to buy it today and Ketoconazole comes in three forms. Also should I apply it around his eyes? Will it have any effect on his eyes?
And how can I prevent leo to lick the cream?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The cream is thicker and will probably be best. Be very careful not to get it in the eyes or too close to the eyes. You can even avoid the eye area now and try it on other areas. Rub it in well so that it soaks in and there is nothing to lick. If it begins to work, you can add the shampoo because it’s an overall application and not used daily. Also inquire about an oral anti-fungal medication.

johnmike29

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The cream is thicker and will probably be best. Be very careful not to get it in the eyes or too close to the eyes. You can even avoid the eye area now and try it on other areas. Rub it in well so that it soaks in and there is nothing to lick. If it begins to work, you can add the shampoo because it’s an overall application and not used daily. Also inquire about an oral anti-fungal medication.
I took him to a different vet this time and he was really great and experienced one. He said that the other vet told you right about Alopecia but such drastic treatment was really effective and unnecessary. He applied some different fungal cream all over the patches and gave him an injection of future diseases prevention. He also suspected that this kitten has not been dewormed. And buyer never told me about that so he did deworming as well.
I have to apply the cream for 7 days all over the patches and the vet recommended another visit in 4 days

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So glad to hear you decided to see a third vet. I really hope the treatment begins to work, and do keep the follow-up appointment. How is Leo today?

johnmike29

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So glad to hear you decided to see a third vet. I really hope the treatment begins to work, and do keep the follow-up appointment. How is Leo today?
Leo is healthy, running around a lot but the skin patches are still falling. The good news is that I think it stopped spreading because in the past days I was seeing many new patches on his paws and his tummy, but since the application of the cream there are no new patches to be seen.
I hope this fungus stops and his hair grows back soon.
About the ring worm being contagious, I knew that before and I do wash my hands and use a sanitizer after petting or touching him.