5 weeks old kitten acting strange help needed :(

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

johnmike29

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
First, please re-read @Mamanyt1953’s Post #52 again. She explains precisely how to introduce wet food. Once he is eating wet food, he still needs dry food available 24/7 to munch between meals.

Secondly, kittens his age should not get diarrhea from KMR. Therefore, he may have coccidia, which is an intestinal parasite that is cured with Albon or Panacur or Metronidazole, and a vet must give it. He should really see a vet for the diarrhea.

But, there is a chance he is allergic to the whey in KMR, so try full fat goats milk instead for a few days. You’ll find it in the fresh dairy section of the grocery, or powdered on the aisle where the canned and boxed milk is sold.

For wet food, I suggest Fancy Feast chicken pate. No chunks, grilled, or shreds - just smooth pate. Chicken or turkey - no fish.
Thanks a lot for a detailed reply, I really appreciate it. I'll take him to vet to get checked again as you said. Also I would try to find the wet food you recommended. Thanks again

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would just like to take a moment to tell you how happy it makes us to talk with someone who is so very determined to give his kitten the very best, healthiest life possible!

johnmike29

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would just like to take a moment to tell you how happy it makes us to talk with someone who is so very determined to give his kitten the very best, healthiest life possible!
Thanks a lot for this, it really means a lot. And yeah I have been spending quite a lot lately on leo 😅. But I don't really care, I just want to give him a life that he deserves :).

Anyways, about the wet food, I was not able to find fancy feast and some other recommended, But I was able to find this one.
Is this cool for kittens?
image.jpg

johnmike29

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello All,
Leo has been having great days, playing actively running around etc.
But I had to come out here again asking for help. There is a new problem that I think it needs some concern.

So leo started loosing hair in really small patches above his left eye I ignored it and thought he might have tore it off somehow.

But that is growing since then and theres almost no hair left around his eye.
Later after that he started losing hair from his left paw. Is this some kind of problem?
He licks that specific place of paw a lot.
Apart from these, small patches now started to come off from his chin too. I have attached the images for you guys. I'll really appreciate if anyone can tell why is this happening to him?
Is this some kind of food allergy or due to stress?
Or it is a natural process?
3F601F89-FA63-4647-A709-F7CF5956215F.jpeg
945115EF-4E8D-4E16-A60C-7C35E6E2F2E2.jpeg
78FC81CF-D9B4-4833-A5AD-A11548A8589A.jpeg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh my! This is not normal or natural. He likely has a fungal or bacterial infection or possibly even an allergy. He needs to see a vet right away. It’s probably some type of dermatitis, but it needs treatment.

johnmike29

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh my! This is not normal or natural. He likely has a fungal or bacterial infection or possibly even an allergy. He needs to see a vet right away. It’s probably some type of dermatitis, but it needs treatment.
Sorry for replying so late, I saw your message and immediately book an appointment for him with the vet.
The vet firstly told me that leo seems a whole lot better and healthy as compared to his last visit. He gained about 0.2kgs which is a good thing. Further about the skin thingie, he told me that this is probably due to allergic reaction to the food he was eating. He gave me a new wet food which is for skin improvement and hair growth and told me to feed it to him from now on.
I used the method told here by someone and changed his wet food to the new one by mixing dry and the wet food.
Lets see if his hair grows back soon :)

johnmike29

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Did the vet take a skin scraping to check for bacteria?
Yep, for earmites he took a sample from ear and checked it under the microscope. The medications worked and there were none.
Then he took his skin sample and checked it again under the microscope

johnmike29

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yep, for earmites he took a sample from ear and checked it under the microscope. The medications worked and there were none.
Then he took his skin sample and checked it again under the microscope
Sarthur2 Sarthur2 I noticed that leo's skin condition was not improving and he was losing more hair. I took him to a different vet this time and told him all about the previous case. He said that leo has some type of skin disease and it can be treated by shaving his whole hair and applying some sort of cream on his skin. The fur will grow back in 3-4 months

I want recommendation from you that should I go for this treatment or not?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It depends on what the skin disease is. What name did the vet say it is? I need to know. Sometimes baths in certain medications and applying cream to affected areas will treat without a complete shave, which in my opinion is a drastic measure.

johnmike29

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It depends on what the skin disease is. What name did the vet say it is? I need to know. Sometimes baths in certain medications and applying cream to affected areas will treat without a complete shave, which in my opinion is a drastic measure.
The vet said that its probably Alopecia Disease.
Yepp, I was thinking that too. There should be something else rather than shaving whole body. I'm scared and I don't know if his fur will even grow back the same :(

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"Alopecia" simply means "hair loss/balding" so isn't specific enough to warrant shaving off kitty's fur. Do you know what medication cream that the vet suggested?

johnmike29

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
"Alopecia" simply means "hair loss/balding" so isn't specific enough to warrant shaving off kitty's fur. Do you know what medication cream that the vet suggested?
Nope, he told me that we don't have sufficient tools to shave the kitty so you have to bring him tomorrow. He didnt tell me any medicine or cream's name

johnmike29

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would appreciate if anyone can come up here with an alternative solution. Because by health, the kitty is perfect, the vet told his temperature was normal too. And he's gaining weight too because I'm checking it day by day.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would not return to that vet. I would see a third vet and ask if they can offer a more specific diagnosis and specific treatment plan. In the meantime, do not get the kitten shaved, and I plan to do some research and get back to you this afternoon. Sit tight!

johnmike29

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would not return to that vet. I would see a third vet and ask if they can offer a more specific diagnosis and specific treatment plan. In the meantime, do not get the kitten shaved, and I plan to do some research and get back to you this afternoon. Sit tight!
So I called the vet for the name of that lotion and he told me that its called "ketoconazole lotion" and further said that should be applied in low amounts. I asked him if there is any other alternative except fully shaving and to that he answered he can only apply to specific areas where there are white colored patches

johnmike29

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
And thanks a lot for taking your time to help me out. It really means a lot to have someone through this.❤

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"Alopecia" is the term my vet wrote on a medical report on a stray with bare patches in her fur. Every time I go to the vet, it is assumed she has an allergic reaction to flea-bites, so out comes the comb and I have to pay for another flea-check :).Although food-allergy is mentioned, it is ruled out because the patches are so clean and superficial. (Leo's patches look rather more inflamed ☹) The next suggestion is that she is stressed and unhappy with me. That is something I cannot change as no-one is willing to take this cross-eyed black (unlucky) cat!
None of the vets I've visited have suggested shaving!
I have only had cats shaved when their fur was so long and tangled that there was no other way to get the twigs, leaves and dirt out of their fur. So, don't do it!
My foster has now been with me for three years. The bare patch on her side has disappeared, but she licks fur off her belly and the backs of her legs. Steroids helped a lot but I didn't want to use them as a permanent solution. So we are now living with our bare patches! But Leo's alopecia seems to be something else altogether"

Leo looks to be really suffering. Did the vet check for ringworm, lice? It doesn't look like a typical food allergy to me - but what is typical?
Good luck with your next vet!