5 weeks old kitten acting strange help needed :(

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

johnmike29

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Please don’t wait to bring this kitten int a better vet. Those eyes, it looks like he is fighting a virus. Which wouldn’t be uncommon in the same conditions as getting ear mites. He needs lots of good nutrition and extra attention. At five weeks he is an absolute BABY. He is going to be relying on you for next few weeks...
Do you really think that?
I am already scared of the ear mites, I can't even know if the medications given by the vet are fighting against the ear mites.
They fixed diarrhea tho but I can't tell the difference in his activeness.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree. He does look like he is fighting a virus. And they are not unusual in kittens. You are NOT alone (or at fault!) with that.

As far as his activity goes, he's going to be very quiet until he feels better. I would consult with another vet about the possibility of a virus, and the proper medication goes.

The second thing I noticed in him is that whenever he comes near to me, he meows a lot and I don't know what to do. I try to give him food or water at that moment but he ignores it and keeps meowing until I pick him up and put him in my lap. Then he sleeps and purrs there. Is this behavior weird?
That is absolutely normal. It means he wants attention and a bit of loving from his new Daddy. He already knows that you are his family, and is coming to you for snuggles and love, which is a wonderful thing! He has bonded with you, and you are handling him right!

T.O.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do you really think that?
I am already scared of the ear mites, I can't even know if the medications given by the vet are fighting against the ear mites.
They fixed diarrhea tho but I can't tell the difference in his activeness.
Ear mites are common. And the treatment is easy. Sometimes it takes more than one course of treatment. They won’t bother you. But left untreated can lead to worse infections. I’m going through this right now. I picked up a kitten and took him home because he wasn’t well. Treated for ear mites. And I’m going to do a second course because it was recommended and I think they are still lingering. He also developed a cat cold in the first week. Which was troubling because he wasn’t at all vaccinated but we did have him tested for FIV and FELV because of the shape he was in. Super lethargic, skinny, poor appetite. The only thing here is my kitten was much older. We guessed about 16 weeks.
Yes off the photo I believe there’s some kind of either viral or bacterial infection in your kitten’s eyes. Other things to look for: persistent sneezing and/or coughing. There’s many colds that go around high cat populations. With TLC you can help your baby get over this bump in the road to health.

T.O.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update as of today:
My kitten got rid of diarrhea and his poop is also brownish and solid type & his bum is not smelling either. I guess this is a good thing, but still, he isn't really active and playful. As someone said before that the cycle of kittens is Run & Sleep, Run & Sleep but this dude here wants to sleep in my lap all day or in his home. He does wake up though to use the litter, drink water and eat food.
About the KMR, I checked several shops in my area and it wasn't available and the vet didn't have it either. Currently, I am giving him the Royal Canin Mother & Babycat dry food (Mother & Babycat Dry Cat Food - Royal Canin ) You guys can check it here. I will try to get the KMR soon too!

But please tell me if his sleepiness pattern is normal? He eats twice a day, drinks water about 5-6 times, and uses litter 3-4 times.
I tried waking up him manually but he just wants to run for his bed and sleep!
Let him sleep if that’s what he needs. As he feels better with better and more food he’ll perk up just a little more every day. Just make sure he continues to eat, drink and eliminate waste every day.

johnmike29

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree. He does look like he is fighting a virus. And they are not unusual in kittens. You are NOT alone (or at fault!) with that.

As far as his activity goes, he's going to be very quiet until he feels better. I would consult with another vet about the possibility of a virus, and the proper medication goes.
Ear mites are common. And the treatment is easy. Sometimes it takes more than one course of treatment. They won’t bother you. But left untreated can lead to worse infections. I’m going through this right now. I picked up a kitten and took him home because he wasn’t well. Treated for ear mites. And I’m going to do a second course because it was recommended and I think they are still lingering. He also developed a cat cold in the first week. Which was troubling because he wasn’t at all vaccinated but we did have him tested for FIV and FELV because of the shape he was in. Super lethargic, skinny, poor appetite. The only thing here is my kitten was much older. We guessed about 16 weeks.
Yes off the photo I believe there’s some kind of either viral or bacterial infection in your kitten’s eyes. Other things to look for: persistent sneezing and/or coughing. There’s many colds that go around high cat populations. With TLC you can help your baby get over this bump in the road to health.
Actually, I read somewhere on the forum that somehow cleaning the cat's ears can make them active. Because they might have ear mites and which are sucking their blood, so they are in pain but they can't really tell us. That's why I am worried that his activeness might be related to ear mites. Is this true guys? And about the eyes thingie, I'll take him to a different vet asap but that is really far.
I hope he get's better soon :)

johnmike29

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Let him sleep if that’s what he needs. As he feels better with better and more food he’ll perk up just a little more every day. Just make sure he continues to eat, drink and eliminate waste every day.
Yes, ofcourse. I stay with him 24/7 and keep counts of how many times he ate food, drank water and used the litter. All these activities are normal, besides the laziness. I read somewhere that fatness can cause laziness in cats. But he's not really fat so thats not the case, its just something else and I don't know. He never sneezed, coughed either but snores sometimes during sleep.

johnmike29

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Get a second opinion, as he still does not sound 100%. He may need a diferent medication.

Is he getting wet food, or just dry? Kittens need wet food too.
Yeah, I'll soon take him to a different vet. Currently, the vet told me to give him dry food only

T.O.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, ofcourse. I stay with him 24/7 and keep counts of how many times he ate food, drank water and used the litter. All these activities are normal, besides the laziness. I read somewhere that fatness can cause laziness in cats. But he's not really fat so thats not the case, its just something else and I don't know. He never sneezed, coughed either but snores sometimes during sleep.
You don’t have to worry about him being fat as a kitten lol.

johnmike29

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
At that young age? Sigh. At least soften it with water.
Its already really soft. I mean if I press it with my fingers it cracks to small pieces.
You don’t have to worry about him being fat as a kitten lol.
Hahaha, as I said earlier, I am a first timer. Anyways, I got KMR today can anyone tel me the right proportions for this kitten, and how many times should I give the KMR to him?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If it’s powdered, use the directions on the can. It’s one part powder to 2 parts water. If you have a measuring cup, mix 1/4 cup of powder to 1/2 cup of water. Stir well. Pour about a quarter cup into a dish. Cover the remainder with plastic wrap and refrigerate. He can have it a couple times a day. It’s good for him!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
And you can use the KMR to moisten his dry food. That won't hurt a thing! OH...and at his age, you canNOT overfeed him. Once he's feeling well, he'll be a little perpetural motion machine when he's awake, and will burn off every single calorie he take in. Feed him, right now, four times a day. When he's a few months old, three times a day, and when he's about a year, his normal twice a day for the rest of his life.

T.O.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Actually, I read somewhere on the forum that somehow cleaning the cat's ears can make them active. Because they might have ear mites and which are sucking their blood, so they are in pain but they can't really tell us. That's why I am worried that his activeness might be related to ear mites. Is this true guys? And about the eyes thingie, I'll take him to a different vet asap but that is really far.
I hope he get's better soon :)
Ear mites can definitely make them feel horrible.

johnmike29

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If it’s powdered, use the directions on the can. It’s one part powder to 2 parts water. If you have a measuring cup, mix 1/4 cup of powder to 1/2 cup of water. Stir well. Pour about a quarter cup into a dish. Cover the remainder with plastic wrap and refrigerate. He can have it a couple times a day. It’s good for him!
And you can use the KMR to moisten his dry food. That won't hurt a thing! OH...and at his age, you canNOT overfeed him. Once he's feeling well, he'll be a little perpetural motion machine when he's awake, and will burn off every single calorie he take in. Feed him, right now, four times a day. When he's a few months old, three times a day, and when he's about a year, his normal twice a day for the rest of his life.
Thanks a lot guys for the help.
I come today with a great news, that Leo got a whole lot better. He started taking interest in his toys which he seemed to deliberately ignore when he was sick. He likes to play with my fingers a lot, I know I shouldn't but he meows a lot whenever I don't and ignore him about that. Lots of thanks to everyone who helped me out and I wish you all the best to you and to your pets too.

But there's a new thing recently in his behavior and I don't know why he's doing that. He started to pee outside the litter box, but still uses it for pottying. Everytime he pees, its somewhere in my room and everytime its a different spot. He used to pee in the litter at first but I don't know why he started doing this. Does anyone have some tips to get him to start peeing in the litter box again because its getting really frustrated and my room is getting smelly as well.
Things I have tried already:

• Washed the litter box and add new litter
• Tried a different litter
• Changed the places of the litter boxes
• Cleaned my whole room with a detergent
• Gave Leo a bath only on below parts

I read all these somewhere on the internet but none of them worked.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is he straining or only peeing small amounts? Usually when cats pee outside the box they are trying to tell you that something is bothering them. In my experience it is usually indicative of a urinary tract infection (UTI). He may need an antibiotic for a UTI - usually clavamox. I’d get him vet checked for a UTI. This is another reason kittens and cats need wet food. It’s much better for preventing crystals and UTI’s. I strongly suggest that you start him on Fancy Feast chicken pate.

Is he drinking the kitten milk?

johnmike29

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is he straining or only peeing small amounts? Usually when cats pee outside the box they are trying to tell you that something is bothering them. In my experience it is usually indicative of a urinary tract infection (UTI). He may need an antibiotic for a UTI - usually clavamox. I’d get him vet checked for a UTI. This is another reason kittens and cats need wet food. It’s much better for preventing crystals and UTI’s. I strongly suggest that you start him on Fancy Feast chicken pate.

Is he drinking the kitten milk?
He's only peeing small amounts, like 2-3 times a day. And about the kmr, he drank it once only in almost 2 days. Does not really seem interested in it. So goes for the dry food

T.O.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks a lot guys for the help.
I come today with a great news, that Leo got a whole lot better. He started taking interest in his toys which he seemed to deliberately ignore when he was sick. He likes to play with my fingers a lot, I know I shouldn't but he meows a lot whenever I don't and ignore him about that. Lots of thanks to everyone who helped me out and I wish you all the best to you and to your pets too.

But there's a new thing recently in his behavior and I don't know why he's doing that. He started to pee outside the litter box, but still uses it for pottying. Everytime he pees, its somewhere in my room and everytime its a different spot. He used to pee in the litter at first but I don't know why he started doing this. Does anyone have some tips to get him to start peeing in the litter box again because its getting really frustrated and my room is getting smelly as well.
Things I have tried already:

• Washed the litter box and add new litter
• Tried a different litter
• Changed the places of the litter boxes
• Cleaned my whole room with a detergent
• Gave Leo a bath only on below parts

I read all these somewhere on the internet but none of them worked.
He’s five weeks. That’s why. Sometimes he knows, sometimes he doesn’t. I’d keep him on a linoleum or tile surface if you can’t watch him, keep a low sided litter box near him. Shoebox lids work great at this age. When you are with him watch for the telltale signs of him stopping play to go off. It’s a good time to gently direct him to the litter box. Please remember cats don’t react well to negative interactions. Keep picking him up and putting him in the appropriate box when it’s box time. Offer it to him regularly. Learning will kick in. He’ll want to go where he can dig.
If this was an older cat I’d worry this was a sign of a uti just so you know. That’s the most common reason for cats to suddenly not use their box.

johnmike29

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He’s five weeks. That’s why. Sometimes he knows, sometimes he doesn’t. I’d keep him on a linoleum or tile surface if you can’t watch him, keep a low sided litter box near him. Shoebox lids work great at this age. When you are with him watch for the telltale signs of him stopping play to go off. It’s a good time to gently direct him to the litter box. Please remember cats don’t react well to negative interactions. Keep picking him up and putting him in the appropriate box when it’s box time. Offer it to him regularly. Learning will kick in. He’ll want to go where he can dig.
If this was an older cat I’d worry this was a sign of a uti just so you know. That’s the most common reason for cats to suddenly not use their box.
Yes, I can tell that he is about to start peeing so I gently put him in the litter box. But at that moment he just comes out of it. The litter box is small size and he uses it everytime for poo. And I will surely get him checked for UTI but can it be fixed?
I mean he just got better, and now have a new problem?