5 weeks old kitten acting strange help needed :(

T.O.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I guess I could be wrong and it could be a uti... but I’m going off the age of the kitten. But if you are sure he was fully box trained?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

johnmike29

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I guess I could be wrong and it could be a uti... but I’m going off the age of the kitten. But if you are sure he was fully box trained?
Yes I'm sure he was trained. When I brought him home, he was using litter for peeing. But suddenly that changed since last 2 days

T.O.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, I can tell that he is about to start peeing so I gently put him in the litter box. But at that moment he just comes out of it. The litter box is small size and he uses it everytime for poo. And I will surely get him checked for UTI but can it be fixed?
I mean he just got better, and now have a new problem?
Yes. If it’s a uti it’s just antibiotics. If it’s a matter of him not being all the way box trained that’ll be a week or two of your gentle redirection.

johnmike29

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I don't know why the sudden interest in the kmr. I gave him 20 ml (described on the packet) 3 times today and he wipes his bowl clean. He has never eaten like this before. But a while ago when I was picking him up, I noticed his belly was really big, like bloated. Am I overfeeding him?
Or is this normal?

johnmike29

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I don't know why the sudden interest in the kmr. I gave him 20 ml (described on the packet) 3 times today and he wipes his bowl clean. He has never eaten like this before. But a while ago when I was picking him up, I noticed his belly was really big, like bloated. Am I overfeeding him?
Or is this normal?
He meows (cries) a lot if I don't give him food. And when I did today he started eating too fast

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Kittens get big bellies then have growth spurts. It’s normal. He needs feeding 6 times a day right now. Leave food down for him. Good he likes the formula! Have you started wet food yet?

The fact he is now eating well is a very good sign!

johnmike29

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kittens get big bellies then have growth spurts. It’s normal. He needs feeding 6 times a day right now. Leave food down for him. Good he likes the formula! Have you started wet food yet?

The fact he is now eating well is a very good sign!
Oh okay, I got scared a bit. He ate 4 times today. And mixed the dry food with the kmr if thats what you are talking about the wet food.
But I really hope he don't get diarrhea again due to kmr milk

johnmike29

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It’s fine to put the kitten formula over his dry food, but I was asking if you have tried him on canned wet cat food.
Nopee, I haven't given him anything like that yet. Just scared of him being getting caught by diarrhea again

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You mix just a LITTLE canned food in with the dry...about 1/4 canned with 3/4 dry. Feed that for a week, then go to 1/2 and 1/2 for a week, then 3/4 canned and 1/4 dry for ANOTHER week, then all canned. This lets his tummy get used to it a little at a time.

johnmike29

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You mix just a LITTLE canned food in with the dry...about 1/4 canned with 3/4 dry. Feed that for a week, then go to 1/2 and 1/2 for a week, then 3/4 canned and 1/4 dry for ANOTHER week, then all canned. This lets his tummy get used to it a little at a time.
I was thinking about wet food later on, kind off after a week. Because my kitten got diarrhea again and I stopped the kmr asap. His poop is a bit better now. I think it was obviously due to the milk since I gave him the kmr like 4-5 times. So I am thinking of giving him dry food for some days until he completely gets better.
Btw he looks great in health now, runs around, plays with me and even started to pee in the litter too, but sometimes still pees somewhere in my room. I think he requires some more training so I just put him in the litter if he do that

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can buy goat milk and blend it with the KMR. KMR is whey- based and some kittens have intolerance to cow's milk products. He might have been anemic from the ear mites draining his blood so is slowly regaining strength. He may need wormer as well, when the vet says it's okay.
Don't worry about him getting fat. I have had kittens who look like bloated ticks after eating but once they hit that lively stage, they burn off all that weight.
How is he doing with the peeing? It happens in preschool children as well- they are so focused on playing & hate to get the fun interrupted so they pee their pants instead. I was pleased that you instinctively knew to direct him to the box. Like kids who want to jump off the toilet and hurry back to their game, kittens sometimes need a bit more direction.
Do you have some teaser toys for him to chase? He might enjoy a stuffed toy that you make act like another kitten - he is very young to be without a sibling.
And a bit of advice for you to pass along: when a kitten or cat is lethargic, a gentle heat source such as a heated pet pad or a warmed rice-or-cornmeal sock gives them comfort and helps their body conserve energy for healing. Just make sure that they can move away from the heat if they want.
Leo is a stunning, gorgeous kitten! With that red fur, he looks like a little Viking :happycat: :loveeyes:

johnmike29

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You can buy goat milk and blend it with the KMR. KMR is whey- based and some kittens have intolerance to cow's milk products. He might have been anemic from the ear mites draining his blood so is slowly regaining strength. He may need wormer as well, when the vet says it's okay.
Don't worry about him getting fat. I have had kittens who look like bloated ticks after eating but once they hit that lively stage, they burn off all that weight.
How is he doing with the peeing? It happens in preschool children as well- they are so focused on playing & hate to get the fun interrupted so they pee their pants instead. I was pleased that you instinctively knew to direct him to the box. Like kids who want to jump off the toilet and hurry back to their game, kittens sometimes need a bit more direction.
Do you have some teaser toys for him to chase? He might enjoy a stuffed toy that you make act like another kitten - he is very young to be without a sibling.
And a bit of advice for you to pass along: when a kitten or cat is lethargic, a gentle heat source such as a heated pet pad or a warmed rice-or-cornmeal sock gives them comfort and helps their body conserve energy for healing. Just make sure that they can move away from the heat if they want.
Leo is a stunning, gorgeous kitten! With that red fur, he looks like a little Viking :happycat: :loveeyes:
Actually, I had to limit the KMR once per day because every time I gave it to him, his poops was watery and yellowish afterwards. And today, because of that I had to give him a full body bath because he covered himself in his watery poop and he is sleeping since then. This was the first time he got a full bath, became really lazy when I was drying him out. Apart from that, thanks to the people who helped me out here, he has been active & started running around a lot. And yes I have many toys for him, but his favourite one is my finger😂. And yes I do have a warm blanket and a small heater near his bed. I usually turn it on when he isn't in his bed so, it gets comfy and warm for him.
About the peeing, I took him to the vet and told him to check for uti. The vet told me that there is nothing wrong with him, and he referred it is possible that because the kitten is really small, it may hadn't been fully litter trained yet. (Another thing his owner lied to me about). The vet also said that ear mites are very less as compared to before but he did not suggest me any ear drops, and instead gave me some syrup last time. I don't know how a syrup can remove ear mites. Can you guys suggest some drops?
But I am happy, I got to be the friend of Leo, he is the best dude ever and I believe he'll grow up to become one of the beautiful cats :)

johnmike29

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also, can anyone let me know some specific wet food for persian cats? I mean if I gave it to my kitten, he should enjoy it and not have any problems or allergies from it.

johnmike29

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can anyone tell me how can I give my kitten Kmr without getting him runny poop?

He literally loves the kmr soo much, but I give him about 20ml one time only in the whole day mixed with his dry food. And still his poop gets runny and smelly, and it will eventually lead to diarrhea if I give him more amounts. He knows where I keep the kmr and cries near that cabinet for the milk.
So I feel bad for him thats why can anyone let me know how can I change his diet without upsetting his stomach?
Also I am buying wet food later, and it would be really helpful if someone can let me know about how to transit from dry food to wet food without giving him diarrhea.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
First, please re-read @Mamanyt1953’s Post #52 again. She explains precisely how to introduce wet food. Once he is eating wet food, he still needs dry food available 24/7 to munch between meals.

Secondly, kittens his age should not get diarrhea from KMR. Therefore, he may have coccidia, which is an intestinal parasite that is cured with Albon or Panacur or Metronidazole, and a vet must give it. He should really see a vet for the diarrhea.

But, there is a chance he is allergic to the whey in KMR, so try full fat goats milk instead for a few days. You’ll find it in the fresh dairy section of the grocery, or powdered on the aisle where the canned and boxed milk is sold.

For wet food, I suggest Fancy Feast chicken pate. No chunks, grilled, or shreds - just smooth pate. Chicken or turkey - no fish.