5 Week Old Puppy Can't Use Her Hind Legs

Status
Not open for further replies.

DontUnderstandCatz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have several 5 week old puppies. They were fine yesterday, jumping and playing around. Sometime during the night, one puppy has lost total control of her hind legs and it appears that she is in pain. She is only able to lay in one position and she is very quiet. I will take her to the vet of course, but I am interested in knowing what could have caused this drastic change in such a short amount of time. She gets fed regularly and is still being fed by her mother. She was extremely active, climbing, scratching, playing with her sisters. Any ideas?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am not sure about puppies, but I imagine the basic problem wouldn’t be much different if we were talking kittens. Since it is sudden onset my initial theory would be an injury. Either the puppy fell or the puppy had something fall on it. Either one could cause injury to the back or leg that would cause pain and inability or reluctance to move.

A vets visit is called for. Until the vet can be consulted I would limit movement and isolate from the others so the injury isn’t bothered or irritated further.

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There is a kitten foster mom I know who currently has a kitten that played too rough and his hip joint popped out of the socket. He had to be put in a cast with restricted play.

Or it could simply be a pulled/torn muscle or strain, which wouldn’t be as severe.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DontUnderstandCatz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I took her to vet, they told me that she had a pinched nerve but I doubt that. I Within a few hours, her condition has deteriorated and I'm afraid that she is dying and she is in tremendous pain. All of the kittens are coming around her and seem to be saying their goodbyes. She is throwing up, has a swollen bladder that I have tried to express but she howls in pain when I touch the area so I stopped and she's defecating on herself. It looks like she is close to death.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DontUnderstandCatz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She has since passed. Thanks everyone for your suggestions and concern.

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry you lost her . Please get the other puppies tested for parvovirus asap. After doing some research, I discovered that parvo can cause rear end paralysis and rapid decline in health. Better to be safe than sorry.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
On behalf of the site Team, I’m very sorry for your loss. Threads are closed after a loss as a sign of respect. Please consider starting a tribute thread in our Crossing the Bridge forum.

Rest In Peace little one.

Status
Not open for further replies.