5 week old kitten with watery eyes

MinkaTasha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Considering a kitten from a breeder but the kitten has watery eyes. It’s clear discharge and the third eyelid is not showing. All of the kittens in the litter have the watery eyes but mama cat does not. Kitten will be 5 weeks old tomorrow.

I have spent about 4 hours now searching FB, Reddit, and the internet for complaints about this breeder or the health of her kittens. I have only found rave reviews and multiple comments over multiple years about the cleanliness of her cattery. Cats and kittens are not caged. The kitten is tested for leukemia and the parents are PKD tested.

We fostered a pregnant cat last year and I went back and looked at photos of her kittens at the same age. Their eyes had a watery sheen to them but I wouldn’t have called them leaky.

I currently have a 14 year old cat so I want to make sure I’m bringing a healthy baby into the house. Are watery eyes reason for concern? Thanks!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is most likely Feline Herpes Vitus, a VERY common ailment of young kittens in a LOT of litters. Their immune systems are just not strong enough yet to fight off the virus. It is NOT transferrable to humans and it's symptoms are watery eyes, sneezing, and generally 'cold' symptoms. It is the feline version of the common human cold. Antibiotics are given if it evolves into a bacterial infection, like green/white/yellow discharge from eyes instead of clear, or lung problems. Research Feline Herpes. My cats have leukemia and are very susceptible to something like this. I give them DMG, an immune system support, in a lickable treat, (Delectable Likables in the stew flavors) and they have not got it since. They were coming down with it at least once a year before. This is something that is common, especially in shelters and where lots of cats congregate, like a breeder.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MinkaTasha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It is most likely Feline Herpes Vitus, a VERY common ailment of young kittens in a LOT of litters. Their immune systems are just not strong enough yet to fight off the virus. It is NOT transferrable to humans and it's symptoms are watery eyes, sneezing, and generally 'cold' symptoms. It is the feline version of the common human cold. Antibiotics are given if it evolves into a bacterial infection, like green/white/yellow discharge from eyes instead of clear, or lung problems. Research Feline Herpes. My cats have leukemia and are very susceptible to something like this. I give them DMG, an immune system support, in a lickable treat, (Delectable Likables in the stew flavors) and they have not got it since. They were coming down with it at least once a year before. This is something that is common, especially in shelters and where lots of cats congregate, like a breeder.
Is it dangerous for my 14 year old cat to bring a kitten into my house that had FHV, but has since cleared up?

I had this experience has in the past but the kitten got FHV two days before I was to pick it up and our vet said not to bring it home. But if the kitten clears up and is fine at 12 weeks, is it still a danger to my older cat?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Older cats have stronger immune systems, if the kitten shows no symptoms, you should be alright. The virus passes just like when you get better from a cold. I would start them both on DMG and you should be fine. You could first bring the kitten to your vet and make sure it is healthy, that would help and ease your mind.