5 Week old kitten steps in her poop all the time

Krist

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am fostering 3 kittens that were abandoned at 4 weeks (it's been a week). They are doing well, I've been given professional advice on their care. However the smallest of the 3 doesn't seem to know how to not step in her poop. I clean her up after, which of course she doesn't like and I'd really like to help her not have this issue. I don't mind cleaning her, but she does mind (hasn't stopped her being the most snuggly though) I've gotten her over the other hurdles, she eats and drinks with her siblings well now, she almost seems a week younger than them, although she isn't. My other question (if that's ok) is I've been asked by neighbours if they can adopt one now. I've said I think it's best they stay together until they are older (8 to 12 weeks). But I don't know if that is necessary since they don't have their mom anyways.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
But I don't know if that is necessary since they don't have their mom anyways.
Even without mom, you're exactly right because they need time to grow some more, become a little less fragile, and solidly find that spunk that will give them the ability to better handle people.

I can't help with the poop problem but other members will see your post soon :)

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Like Furballsmom Furballsmom has said even without mum they are still a bit young. Your right in thinking they need more time together. They will learn those all important cat skills like hunting, stalking and what is too rough from each other. I wouldn't worry about the stepping in poop it's probably because she is in a rush to get back to kittening. I have one that was still doing that at 12 weeks old some just take longer to realise it's not nice to step in poop. She'll learn all by herself hopefully watching her litter mates.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She’ll grow out of stepping in her poop eventually. Cats really like being clean as they mature. She’s a baby still.

All are too young to go to new homes. Wait the 12 weeks and hopefully neutered and spayed first. Thanks for fostering!