Kitten
Purraise
Hi all
One of my cats had 5 kittens 5 weeks ago
they have all done really well
All of them besides my tabbie girl are eating solid food really well
She just shows no interest at all
I've rubbed food around her mouth And put small bits inside her mouth
I always take her to the plate when her brothers are eating but she just walks off
She seems ok otherwise
Any tips to get her eating solid food please?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
May it be there is a fight over the food, and that is why she prefers to abstain instead of joining the hopeless fight?

You do have the momma, and she sees the momma eating too?

What are you givning her? So we perhaps can find ideas on what else to try with...

Perhaps some goats milk on a plate - goats milk body warm. You can begin to let her suckle off your fingers, or from a make up sponge...

I mean, so she begins with tasting something else than mommas teat...

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Some kittens do not wean until 6, 7, or even 8 weeks. Same for learning the litter box. It's all normal. She needs time.

Also, kittens should stay with mom for 10-12 weeks for maximum development and socialization.

Oscar&Copper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi!

We brought in an abandoned 2 week old kitten 6 weeks ago. Weaning him was a chore! lol But he just did it on his own one day, I always offered the food on a plate before giving him the bottle. He was well over 5 weeks before he gave up the bottle, and it was a week later before he would eliminate without stimulation. It was a frustrating time, but just as human babies, some are slower than others. I wouldn't worry too much.