5 sick cats, 2 sick humans and 2 sick dogs....

amers543

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I am wondering if anyone has had something similar happen. It started with our new kitten she is about 10 weeks old (we have had her since she was 3 weeks old bottle feeding). She went to the vet last week for her first round of vaccinations. This week she got sick vomiting, and diarrhea. Took her to the vet gave her some antibiotics...and digestive health food. Then is started through all of my cats.....got more antibiotics. Now they are also rubbing there faces, grooming alot, shaking there heads (like a cat would do with ear mites) and drinking more water. Now my dogs are shaking there heads and rubbing there faces and drinking more water... and on top of it my husband and I got sick with the same symptoms. I have looked everywhere to see if they have got into something, i washed my floors with hot water only and hand dried them. I am rewashing all my bedding because I started using a new borax washing soap mixture and thought that might be a problem. All my animals are inside animals and up to date vaccinations (except the oldest cat she has horrible stress anxiety last time at the vet but has had vaccinations previously, and the only kitten has her two month vaccinations).

My question is has anyone had anything similar happen? and maybe know what is causing it? I am just exhausted....and truthfully freaking out.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Maybe the first place to start is with a full fecal PCR which would test for a whole host of parasites as well as bacterial issues. Check with your vet, but most will accept a fecal sample you can collect from the kitten and take to your vet's office. Just put it in a baggie (litter and all), and refrigerate it if you cannot take it to the vet's right away.

Did everyone have vomiting and diarrhea or just the head shaking part? If the kitten is the only one that had the former two symptoms, that might have coincidentally been related to the vaccinations. And, no offense to your vet, but the kitten might have actually picked up some sort of parasite while at the vet's for her vaccinations. Even the best and most thorough vets can miss things during cleanings.

I would also check the pets' ears for any sign of mites/other parasites and/or associated dirt. If you find anything you can collect it as well for the vet to take a look at.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
No, haven't had anything like a whole household get sick, including pets. I agree with moxiewild moxiewild this could be of a parasitic nature. Have you had this kitten tested for parasites? I had kittens who had Giardia and they had similar symptoms to that you mentioned above. It took several rounds of the anti-parasitic medicine Panacour to have the kitties check out clear. I attached a article to this reply on this subject. The other thing that comes to mind since everyone in the house got sick is their may be an environment issue. If the new kitty test negative for parasites and worms, I would start checking into environment issues.

Best of luck to you. I hope you get to the root of this problem 🙂

Parasites in Cats

jinxybean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What symptoms do you share with your cats and dogs? Itchy eyes? Excessive thirst? Some symptoms fit parasite, but the face rubbing, skin irritation (grooming), and even the thirst fit with exposure to an environmental irritant. Get an indoor air quality test performed if your doctor and pets' vet can't pinpoint the problem.