5 Month Old Meeting New Kitten

Rhall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have posted previously and read all the material provided. Today is the day - as my new kitten was sick and needed to be kept secluded from the older. So - they have been able to smell each other for 1.5 weeks. I had the younger in a crate for 15 minutes letting my older kitty sniff around. She was not happy growling and hissing. I let him out after 15 min with close supervision. My older kitty is watching closely but still growling and hissing. I will give them 1.5 hr total together, then put the little one back in his room while we are at work etc. and will try again later. I tried to give the older lots of positive interaction, treats, play, etc. Does this sound like this is going ok? Suggestions? I realize it will take time.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Growling and hissing is a cat's way of communicating. As long as there is no fur flying, blood, or either kitten appearing scared, things are probably ok. Generally it's easier and quicker to introduce kittens than older cats. But, yes, keep them separated when no one is around to supervise.

How old is the new kitten? Can we see a pic? :camera:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Awww.... he's adorable. And just a baby. Since he's so young, your older kitten will be trying to teach him kitty manners, so some hissing/growling is to be expected. But I suspect they'll be best buds in no time. :catlove:

You probably don't even need to read this, but here's a TCS article on How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat just in case.

Keep us posted. And post pics whenever you want. ;)