5 Month Old Kitten Peeing On My Bed

bluecat74

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there

I was wondering if anyone has any advice. I have two 5 month old kittens who are sisters called Buffy and Willow. My husband and I make sure we give them equal attention between them so one doesn't feel more favoured. We have enough litter boxes in the house that are cleaned regularly.

However Willow will sometimes pee on our bed. We have had her checked out by the vet and everything is okay. She uses her litter box with no problems. This morning while I was in bed I had been paying Willow attention and her sister came into the room and my husband picked Buffy up and then Willow sat there and looked at them and peed.

And the other night when my husband sat on the bed she sat right behind him and peed. For me it feels almost like Willow is jealous of Buffy even though we give them attention and everything equally. Willow is the the smaller of them, I think she may have been the runt of the litter. We have had them since 6 weeks old....and my husband had time off work during their first 2 months with us so he was like their cat daddy training them to use the litter box and sleeping with them in the room.

I spray Feliway spray onto the blankets to try and stop her peeing. Thankfully we have enough duvets in the house but it becomes a pain having to wash them lol. We will be getting them fixed when they are 6 months old so am hoping that may stop the peeing but any advice in the meantime would be greatly appreciated.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. As a BtVS fan, I love your kittens' names. Is that them in your avatar?

Sorry about Willow's peeing issue. Did this just start? Does she get along ok with Buffy? Has she had her first heat yet? Hopefully it's a hormonal thing, which spaying will fix.

TCS has some articles on litterbox avoidance that may be helpful.

Plus one on Do Cats Get Jealous? (and What To Do About It When They Do)

How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Combat Cat Urine
How To Get Cat Pee Smell Out Of Clothes And Linens
Inappropriate Peeing, Spraying, Toy Obsession And Leg And Hand Nipping
Spraying: When Your Cat Uses Urine To Mark Territory

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Also, no matter how much you wash, if you are not using an enzymatic cleaner, trace odor may be attracting her back to the same spot over and over.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi. Are they getting canned food every day? I always ask this when I hear about peeing problems because my cats pee outside the litterbox when they have too much dry food and not enough wet food.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:welcomesign:
Besides the above links I would also try :

An extra litter box... if need be on the bed TEMPORARILY. Rubber mattress covers (you still need to enzyme clean your mattress before putting it on but it should make accidents easier to clean up.) You can put a plastic sheet over your comforter, then put the litter box on top of the plastic sheet ... and kick her out of your room at night, when you are asleep.

If she still peed on your bed over the open litter box on your bed then I would try cat attract litter.

I would also block all sight to the outside world with poster board or cardboard just in case roaming cats or animals are setting her off. You also make your yard unfriendly to stray cats if needed. (It may be possums or foxes that are making your cat jittery.)
Keep Stray Cats Out of Your Yard With These Easy Tips

Lastly if it is your other cat stressing her out I would try re-introducing your cats.

:hangin:
Hang in there. Litter box issues take time plus trial & error to solve. They can be solved. :vibes::catrub:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bluecat74

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there

Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply greatly appreciated. Will definitely take on board all the advice.

That is my kitties as my avatar....am a proud cat mama. Buffy and Willow get along well, they have their crazy wrestling moments in the house as siblings do and then their lovely snuggle moments as well. Have got my hands on an enzyme cleaner so will be cleaning my duvets again during the week.

Paws crossed no more accidents and again thank you for your advice.