5 month old kitten has horrible breath

toddypu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I love my kitten, but his breath smells like something died, farted, and started to decay. His gums are a healthy pink and there isn't a build up of plaque. I don't know what to do. He eats a healthy organic diet, gets plenty of exercise, and LOVES to drink water. He hates dental wipes or the vet prescribed drops. He runs away and hides when he sees them. What could be causing this? What should I do?

charlismom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What do you mean by healthy organic diet?  It could all be related to what he's eating.  Is he raw fed, eating grain free canned food, dry kibble? 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

toddypu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I leave out wellness kitten while at work and feed him freshpet select twice a day.

silmarien

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you tried brushing his teeth? I know they hate it and they resist, but you have to  just soldier through and even buritto them to get the job done.  Go get him when he hides. I use a gentle toothbrush every day to brush my two kittens' teeth, whether they're scared or fighting me or not. 

If you chicken out and refuse to do this, a tooth abscess could form and they can die.  Or require dental surgery that costs $1000s every year.  Prevention is the best route here.   I know it's hard and you don't like seeing your kitty afraid or fighting you, but it's for their own good and really it's over pretty quick.  It's not that traumatic if you get them used to it.

Good luck and I hope your kitty gets better!

mihjoy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In my experience when a cat/kitten has bad breath, its not the food. Most likely that the cause is from a tooth infection. Try to find or see if there is any irritation around the teeth or gum lines.

chromium blues

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He's likely teething. Some kittens go through "teething gingivitis" causing red gums and breath that can at time smell like rancid meat. He's certainly at the right age for hit. My Dinah could've knocked you down with her teething breath. Fire engine red gums. When her adult teeth came in, her mouth went back to normal.