5 Month Old Kitten Behavior Changes?

katep27

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!

I currently have a 5 month old female spayed kitten whose had a drastic change in behavior. When I got her (10 weeks old) for about 2 months she was EXTREMELY loving and cuddly and wouldn't leave me alone to be honest. She started having some behavioral problems like biting and doing everything she could to get attention from me so I got her a little brother.

It didn't seem to help? Or, well, it definitely helped with her attention and playing needs but not other things.

She and the new little kitten absolutely adore each other and she loves playing with him and cuddling with him and they love chasing each other around the house but to me shes still having behavioral problems? She still nips at me when I try to cuddle her and will bite if I pet her for more than a few minutes. She definitely isn't anything like the cuddly little kitten who would sleep on my chest for hours and hours.

I've heard of un-spayed males and females having behavioral problems at this age but not much about kittens who are already fixed.

I've done EVERYTHING to get her to stop biting (putting her in time out, telling her NO and ignoring her, I even talked to my vet and did the things she said to do like hiding away toes when she attacks them and never playing with fingers. She has DOZENS of toys of all different types too - stuffed animals, cat nip toys, strings, teaser toys, a scratching post, a climber up to a window, etc) but she simply won't stop.

Should I be concerned or is this her going through a hormonal teenage phase even though she's spayed??

thank you!

Exact Info on her:
she's about 20 weeks old
shes a long haired siamese
spayed
a rescue - was abandoned by her stray mother as a kitten and severely malnourished and feral but has been 100% good since well over a month ago probably 6 or 7 weeks

Her baby brother is a 12 week old neutered male

I work full time during the week but since getting the newer kitten I've actually been working from home a LOT the past month or so (he was also a rescue and needed very careful monitoring) which I find strange since she was actually better behaved when I was working full time?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katep27

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Here are some photos of them for anyone wondering haha
37500366_1914154575309701_8250862811064827904_n.jpg
37544496_1914154978642994_8255226562262073344_n.jpg
38801319_268998697033845_1030280809413607424_n.jpg
38842663_228498501333242_4743865848869945344_n.jpg
38963596_274875769771805_708347588666982400_n.jpg
39020019_555433941541834_6192587738336722944_n.jpg

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
She is still young and kittens go through stages where all they want to do is cuddle or they want nothing at all to do with us. With a new playmate it is pretty normal that he gets a good chunk of her attention.

Because she is still so young I would not get discouraged by her biting. Giving her as few opportunities to bite and telling her no in a loud stern voice or hissing at her when she does will work, but she may need to be a few months older before she overcomes her instinct to bite when she plays with you. I would use distance toys like a wand or laser to play with her and save close up cuddle time when she is sleepy. If she does run up and try to bite, stay still, do the hiss or “no!” and pick her up for a minute. Not for a cuddle, and not in a harsh way but to let her know you are the boss and can stop her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katep27

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is still young and kittens go through stages where all they want to do is cuddle or they want nothing at all to do with us. With a new playmate it is pretty normal that he gets a good chunk of her attention.

Because she is still so young I would not get discouraged by her biting. Giving her as few opportunities to bite and telling her no in a loud stern voice or hissing at her when she does will work, but she may need to be a few months older before she overcomes her instinct to bite when she plays with you. I would use distance toys like a wand or laser to play with her and save close up cuddle time when she is sleepy. If she does run up and try to bite, stay still, do the hiss or “no!” and pick her up for a minute. Not for a cuddle, and not in a harsh way but to let her know you are the boss and can stop her.
Thank you for your response! Glad to know this is normal - its just been YEARS since I've had a kitten and my last one was mainly and out doors cat from just a few months old lol so thank you for the reassurance!

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My young adult cat Casey can get over-stimulated from petting sometimes. He bites when this happens. I have learned to tell from his body language when this is starting to happen. His tail movement gets very rapid and he starts rolling around. If I stop petting him when I notice his tail movement beginning to get faster I am usually able to avoid the biting. I then wait for his tail movements to slow down to a normal pace before petting him again. This gives him time to calm down.

Have you watched to see if there are any changes in body language before the biting starts? Also is the biting happening when she is in play mode? Biting can be a form or play aggression or love bites gone wrong. I am going to links to some articles on love bites and play aggression. I am also going to post one on re-directed aggression because it may just have helpful tips.
How To Deal With Cat "love Bites"?
Re-directed Aggression In Cats
Cat Aggression Toward People
How To Stop Playtime Aggression In Cats

Perhaps there will be something new for you to try in one of these articles.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2: Your 2 kittens are adorable. :catlove:

About your girl's biting, these days the "recommendation" is to keep kittens with their mom and siblings till 12 weeks so they have time to learn cat etiquette.

You only adopted her 2 weeks before the 12 weeks, so it's not like she was taken from her mom way too soon, but she still might need a "refresher" on kitty manners. ;)

In addition to the article links catlover73 catlover73 posted, here's one more that might be helpful: Teach Your Kitten How to Play Nice : The Humane Society of the United States

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Your beautiful cat is now a teenager. And territorial. My cat Peaches has always been naughty-bites and grabs my arm for no reason. Maggie and Peaches are territorial but Maggie does not bite and listens when I say no or get down. I don't have to talk forcefully. Don't we all change when we get older?

Catladyfilmmaker

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Your Siamese/Balinese looks JUST like my kitten, Foxley! Foxley thankfully doesn't usually bite me, however, she has maybe twice or so only when she's really playful at night (in play mode). She isn't as sweet to me as she was as a baby though (she's just now a little over 5 months old). I spend a LOT of time holding her and cuddling her. Maybe try putting her in a room alone with you, without the kitten (like a bathroom or your bedroom) and pet her when she's sleepy. Let her fall asleep on you. Try that!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS C Catladyfilmmaker . :wave2: Nice to meet you and Foxley. Just wanted to mention that this thread hasn't been active in over 2 years, so it's unlikely the OP will reply to your message. Do, however, consider posting a new thread in our New Cats on the Block forum, where I know you will receive replies.