5 day old kitten care tips.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I just get worried if one doesn't gain 10grams at least a day. I don't know why the other one only gained nine one day and the next that one gained 12.

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Got a call from the vet responding to my email last night. They told me not to use any topicals because of the kittens for the fleas and to bathe mom with a flea/tick shampoo and rinse well dry her off then let her return to them. Mom is not going to let me bathe her. So I'm back to being able to do nothing while the fleas eat the kittens alive. Two have a slightly yellow tint to their fur. I think that's flea dirt as those two seem to have the most fleas on them.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You have the choice to do as we have suggested. We've all been there and are not recommending anything that we ourselves haven't used in the same situation in the past.

I certainly wouldn't do nothing while fleas eat my kittens alive.

Last edited by a moderator:

fostersrule

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Having just had one of the only experiences with fleas that I've had to deal with (and definitely the worst case), hopefully this will help you decide to try advantage. I brought a foster cat home with her 2 babies around 4 weeks ago. They were a few days old. Two had died before they were brought to the shelter. They were COVERED in fleas. The shelter put some advantage on the mom (back of neck) and said the fleas would begin slowing down soon. They certainly did.
Yes, babies will climb all over their mother. That is not unique to your situation. The two that came into my home covered in fleas at 3 days old are now 4 weeks old and thriving. I would get another vet's opinion. The fleas are probably what killed the two babies my foster cat lost before she was surrendered to the shelter I foster for. Also, it's been 4 weeks and I haven't seen a single flea.
Someone can probably correct me on this but I thought flea dirt was more red-brown. It is certainty reddish when you smear it. I hope your babies are not jaundice. Are the becoming yellow like the kitten's leg in this pic?

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You have the choice to do as we advisors have suggested. We've all been there and are not recommending anything that we ourselves haven't used in the same situation in the past.

I certainly wouldn't do nothing while fleas eat my kittens alive.
I know I do. Trying to figure out the best way to proceed advantage sounds good. Should I get the regular one, or Advantage II?

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
@sarthur2 Yes I know I do, I actually got paid today so I can get something going in the next day or two. Advantage or Advantage II?

@Fostersrule, they are a bit more of an orange color. I will try to get a picture of them in a moment and post it. The orange color is why I think it's the flea dirt that got wet or something, The other one that's mostly white is brighter though. Which is why I am concerned. I hope they're not as well. Not sure what can be done if they are.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can get Advantage 11. The kittens will get better when the fleas die. In the meantime you can continue to wipe the flea dirt off their coats. The sooner you can treat the better!

Last edited:

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Pet Smart has it. My Walmart here in Florida has it. The price difference is minimal.

The kittens look good. They will feel so much better when the fleas are gone. If you still have fleas you can re-treat mom in two weeks.

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I dont' have a pets mart near by me. I do have a wal-mart but trans portions a bit tricky as no one in my household has a car at the moment and the taxi company I use doesn't do store runs friday-sunday.

fostersrule

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Awe they look good:). I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how effective the advantage is;). I know I was. I'm thrilled they don't look like the kittens in the pic I posted. They look much healthier. I was afraid that you meant their skin was yellowing.

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ah sorry about that. I meant just the fur if the skin was going yellow they would be heading for the vet like yesterday. I am not going to lose these four like I did the last four.  I was looking at them as I was taking the photos and they all look to be the same color now.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How about a friend? Or a different taxi company? I would first call Walmart and make sure yours carries it before you go.

And other pet stores carry it. And you can order online through www.petmeds.com.

fostersrule

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you need a temporary way to get rid of some fleas before you're able to get advantage you can try using it. It's very tedious and you have to be super careful with it. If you have a flea comb you can comb through the mom and when you get a flea on it dunk it in a glass full of it. You just really have to make sure there is no alcohol on the comb before you go back in to brush her again. Like absolutely none. I've boiled water and used that as well. I'm not sure if it will work without the advantage though. I did it several hours after my foster was treated so the fleas were slowing down. It didn't take much to kill them.

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
a cup of  water with a few drops of dawn dish soap or really any kind of soap will work too. I've also tried corn starch on them. As it will at least sufficate the fleas and maybe dry them out. I know the corn starch won't hurt them any.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Warm water with Dawn or any dish soap is safest for very young kittens. You can do it daily but make sure the kittens don't get wet or cold. And change the bedding daily too, as it will be full of fleas and t heir eggs.

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mama cat doesn't like the taste of dawn so i quit using it. Their bedding usually gets changed out every other day at least though lately it's been every day.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Will you be able to get the Advantage this weekend, or will it have to wait?