5 day kitten Pneumonia - updated

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

ladro

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
ps. L ladro you mentioned some cocoa nut products. It may be so they are useful and even good. I didnt mentioned them much because I dont have any experience with them in this situation, not own and not by hearsay.

But I know raw organic cocoa oil has many uses in soothing problems, both outside and inside.... So if you DO have local advisors, whom tried these products with good success on small weak kittens - I wont protest if you try them.
Will get some today

ladro

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You got excellent advices. Some follow up on these and some additional advices.

Goats milk is good as said, better than a random formula. If you can get RAW goats milk, its even better. It comes from an alive mom and has some extra properties...

The typical need is 8 ml / 30 grammes a day. If the kittens wants more, give more. With a weak kitten as yours every hour, with a healthy kitten every 2 hours. So, little but often.

Can you get glucose sugar / dextrose powder? If so, use this instead of honey water... Add a little to the goats milk/ formula, gives some extra calories for free. This glucose sugar is hard to find in USA, its why our american cat friends use Caro syrup or honey...
The glucose has several advantages, one of them, its not so sweet, so you can give more if you wish... Also, it doesnt need no digestion.

IF you deem the kitten seems to be dying, its digestion stops, and its no point with giving more formula... But you got to, because its the only chance still left, no? The trick is to give instead such a glucose water or pedialyte containing glucose.... Its no remedy and no good nourishment, but it will buy you and the kitten precious time, as it alone will keep the kitten alive a couple of days.... With a little luck the healing process will come, and the kitten - survive...

Having the kitten warm is necessary. (but not too hot) If you have access to an IR heating lamp, such as for example, rheumatic people use, or owners of lizard terraries or hatching chickens, its very useful. Not least, the kitten wont get chilled out while you are feeding it or helping it eliminate....

Do massage the kitten. Use your forefinger and stroke it over body and legs...

Talk softly to the kitten, alike its mom crooning and spinning...

Do pray! If prayers in themselves do work, may be discussed, but they will help give YOU the strengh to endure, to give you patience and force...

Good luck!

L ladro
Thankyou stefan honestly because there's not much out there and when you ask some breeders there mouths are tight, am off to get goat milk now, thankyou again for yr kindness to me and baby one heart many rooms🌹❤

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m so glad you got the goats milk! It’s very important that whatever she takes does not come out of her nose so this is very good news. Everyone here is praying for her. You are giving her the best comfort and love. Thank you for helping her. As mentioned, feed her as she is laying on her belly. Just like she would be positioned when eating from mama. A gentle rubbing of the tummy afterwards to burp her too.

ladro

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m so glad you got the goats milk! It’s very important that whatever she takes does not come out of her nose so this is very good news. Everyone here is praying for her. You are giving her the best comfort and love. Thank you for helping her. As mentioned, feed her as she is laying on her belly. Just like she would be positioned when eating from mama. A gentle rubbing of the tummy afterwards to burp her too.
thankyou jcatbird all of yous have been so quick in helping me its blown me away

ladro

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
shes still here been feeding her goat milk mixed slight honey with drops of mineral and vitamins drops thankyou all for prayers ,iam just learning to answer on this site ,and to find everything

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is wonderful news about the baby. Please do let us know if anyone can be of any help. Thecatsite is here for that reason. We all care about you and your kitty. It’s a wonderful site and I hope you’ll find time later to enjoy all the wonderful things here. I came here just as you did, looking for help. I had never been on a website before but was very glad to find this one. I’ve stayed ever since and I learned how to get around and find things.There are delightful cats photos here as well as things that may bring you a smile later on. Welcome to the site!

ladro

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
5 day kitten been to vets on formula plus antibiotic has Pneumonia is there tried and true things that I can give him for strength plus body fat urgent
latest on baby boy ,hes still here still very thin,i have added some formula back to his goat milk still using vits/minerals ,he still looks like a new born with a sassy attitude,again thank you all for such a positive out look

ladro

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How are things?
hi hes still here very sassy thing, still very tiny like a new born, I've put a little formula back in to his goat milk with vit,mineral drops as well ,went to work today and brought him with me ,had him in a bucket lol with blanket inside heat pad on top another blanket on top very warm easy to carry him god is good all the time,i tried to put this on the top of my page to let everyone no what the latest is, but cant seem to do this yet ,haven't had time to no the ins and outs on this site

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How much goats / formula are you giving him totally each day? How much does he weigh? If he is a thin 6 days with 100 grammes, the amount is about 30 ml a day. If he is 150 grammes, it should be about 45 grammes. If he wants more, give more. Its difficult to overfeed a kitten, but easy to underfeed... (its slighly more but easier to count so, than the usual rule of thumb 8+ grammes / 30 ml)

Does he eliminate OK? Pee, poo?

It sounds nice and well what you describe you are doing and giving food.

Pneumonia in kittens usually kills rather quickly, often literally just hours. The longer he is with us, the better chances he has to get through... Its perhaps not even a real pneumonia, but being weak and thin??

L ladro

ladro

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How much goats / formula are you giving him totally each day? How much does he weigh? If he is a thin 6 days with 100 grammes, the amount is about 30 ml a day. If he is 150 grammes, it should be about 45 grammes. If he wants more, give more. Its difficult to overfeed a kitten, but easy to underfeed... (its slighly more but easier to count so, than the usual rule of thumb 8+ grammes / 30 ml)

Does he eliminate OK? Pee, poo?

It sounds nice and well what you describe you are doing and giving food.

Pneumonia in kittens usually kills rather quickly, often literally just hours. The longer he is with us, the better chances he has to get through... Its perhaps not even a real pneumonia, but being weak and thin??

L ladro
he has around 2. 1,0ml 15hrs if I give him more milk starts coming out his nose, he fights against me when he's had enough, peeing fine pooing no

ladro

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Unless you feel it is an immediate emergency to get nourishment in the babies, I’d like for you to get more replies here from experienced people. If you feel it is a dire emergency then maybe adding a bit of goats milk to the formula you are giving now? Can you ask a vet there about doing this? If you cannot get goats milk then maybe the plain yogurt. I’m thinking you should avoid the raw egg yolk right now. Those kittens are very young and immune system is compromised. If salmonella is present they may not be able to fight it.
He's not pooping peeing yes I put milk formula on his privet parts and my girl licks there alot hoping this will help him pooing besides me rubbing his skin alot, he's 7 days old, will weigh him tomorrow, still very very tinny, starting to drink more 1,oml syringe every 3 to 4hrs if I try to give more its starts coming out his nose alittle

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He's not pooping peeing yes I put milk formula on his privet parts and my girl licks there alot hoping this will help him pooing besides me rubbing his skin alot, he's 7 days old, will weigh him tomorrow, still very very tinny, starting to drink more 1,oml syringe every 3 to 4hrs if I try to give more its starts coming out his nose alittle
That was creative solution to stimulate him! :) Good you do have this friendly resident to help out.

Im not sure I understand your description of the amount, but what I understand it sounds very little! 1 ml every 3 hours = 8 ml a day?? Its very little, real starving portions.... But if he cant get more so he cant get more. ( Try to give more often??)

IF so, just 8 ml a day, I think the best chance will be to give him food with a feeding tube directly into stomach.

Its not easy and dangerous for a newbe, that is why we usually dont even mention it... Its best someone knowleable shows you. AND lend you the gears.
The problem is, many vets doesnt seem to know how to do it either, but do try to ask your vet. He will perhaps have the gears at least, and or tell you whom can show you....
Otherwise, googling, there are many descriptions. Read several of them, think it over, pray, and - try...
In the dire need, you may need desperate measures.

ladro

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
he has around 2. 1,0ml 15hrs if I give him more milk starts coming out his nose, he fights against me when he's had enough, peeing fine pooing no
pee yes not poo

Status
Not open for further replies.