5 day kitten Pneumonia - updated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Karo is a type of corn syrup sold in the US. I found this thread that talks about the recipe. Kitties are lactose intolerant but I understand that goats milk can be good for kittens. Motherless Kittens Found - Stores Closed For Hurricane - Help
Let me try Sarthur2 Sarthur2
Please hang on. The time difference may mean answers will come a little later. Are the babies taking nourishment?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ladro

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Karo is a type of corn syrup sold in the US. I found this thread that talks about the recipe. Kitties are lactose intolerant but I understand that goats milk can be good for kittens. Motherless Kittens Found - Stores Closed For Hurricane - Help
Let me try Sarthur2 Sarthur2
Please hang on. The time difference may mean answers will come a little later. Are the babies taking nourishment?
we dont seem to have any corn syrup etc he is only 4 inchs kitten formula doesent seem to really do anything

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ladro

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
we dont seem to have any corn syrup etc he is only 4 inchs kitten formula doesent seem to really do anything

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unless you feel it is an immediate emergency to get nourishment in the babies, I’d like for you to get more replies here from experienced people. If you feel it is a dire emergency then maybe adding a bit of goats milk to the formula you are giving now? Can you ask a vet there about doing this? If you cannot get goats milk then maybe the plain yogurt. I’m thinking you should avoid the raw egg yolk right now. Those kittens are very young and immune system is compromised. If salmonella is present they may not be able to fight it.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! We have a fellow member, Hissy, who has a great website: www.kitten-rescue.com. Also, Maddies Fund has a free, excellent webinar that you can watch on YouTube and pause, rewind, fast forward, etc:
https://www.maddiesfund.org/critical-care-of-the-sick-neonatal-kitten.htm

FIRST: keep the kittens warm. 88°-90° is good; I put them in a small box with a heat source (that they can move away from, to avoid overheating) inside a hard-sided cat carrier. NEVER FEED A CHILLED KITTEN - rub the honey or karo corn syrup on their gums to keep their blood sugar up amd give tiny amounts of warm (100° F) water or, even better, unflavored pedialyte diluted 50/50. once warm and lively, you can add formula.
With pneumonia, your vet wii most likely prescribe antibiotics.
I prefer goat milk to whey based formula.
Be sure to stimulate urination. Do not use baby wipes if at all possible - warm water on soft tissues or cotton makeup pads works best. A thin coat of plain vaseline, neosporin or coconut oil is soothing.
If the breathing is labored, try a steam bath by running a hot shower or make a steam tent by draping a sheet over 2 chairs and putting a steam vaporizer and the carrier in it.
Periodically, hold the kittens on your chest and give them comfort grooming to encourage them. Because you need to keep them warm but at a higher temperature that might be too warm for you, put a folded towel between yourself and their heat source plus them (imagine a little pile of kitten "purritos" on/against their heat source on the towel that is on you.
Also: feed tiny amounts frequently.
a brief recap: keep warm; keep blood sugar up; support "plumbing" by stimulating to pee/poop.
Please keep us updated! My prayers for you all - kittens are delicate but survive incredible odds!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You got excellent advices. Some follow up on these and some additional advices.

Goats milk is good as said, better than a random formula. If you can get RAW goats milk, its even better. It comes from an alive mom and has some extra properties...

The typical need is 8 ml / 30 grammes a day. If the kittens wants more, give more. With a weak kitten as yours every hour, with a healthy kitten every 2 hours. So, little but often.

Can you get glucose sugar / dextrose powder? If so, use this instead of honey water... Add a little to the goats milk/ formula, gives some extra calories for free. This glucose sugar is hard to find in USA, its why our american cat friends use Caro syrup or honey...
The glucose has several advantages, one of them, its not so sweet, so you can give more if you wish... Also, it doesnt need no digestion.

IF you deem the kitten seems to be dying, its digestion stops, and its no point with giving more formula... But you got to, because its the only chance still left, no? The trick is to give instead such a glucose water or pedialyte containing glucose.... Its no remedy and no good nourishment, but it will buy you and the kitten precious time, as it alone will keep the kitten alive a couple of days.... With a little luck the healing process will come, and the kitten - survive...

Having the kitten warm is necessary. (but not too hot) If you have access to an IR heating lamp, such as for example, rheumatic people use, or owners of lizard terraries or hatching chickens, its very useful. Not least, the kitten wont get chilled out while you are feeding it or helping it eliminate....

Do massage the kitten. Use your forefinger and stroke it over body and legs...

Talk softly to the kitten, alike its mom crooning and spinning...

Do pray! If prayers in themselves do work, may be discussed, but they will help give YOU the strengh to endure, to give you patience and force...

Good luck!

L ladro

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also, NEVER feed a kitten on it's back, like cuddling him in your arms. A kitten must be fed lying on it's stomach, like when they are naturally nursing from mom. Lying on their back is how they can get pnuemonia. Let them nurse a nipple on a bottle, or if they can't, feed drop by drop in the side of the mouth with a dropper. kittens can aspirate formula easily, so take your time, and drop by drop, allowing him to swallow. I'll pray for your little one.....

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
ps. L ladro you mentioned some cocoa nut products. It may be so they are useful and even good. I didnt mentioned them much because I dont have any experience with them in this situation, not own and not by hearsay.

But I know raw organic cocoa oil has many uses in soothing problems, both outside and inside.... So if you DO have local advisors, whom tried these products with good success on small weak kittens - I wont protest if you try them.

Status
Not open for further replies.