5/6 Week Old Kitten, Very Smelly Yellow Diarrhea

Cbreeze86

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a kitten that was found Saturday orphaned and covered in mud, I took him and got him to the vet on Monday. His focal test showed no parasites or worms but they gave him a deworming dose at the vet. He also has diarrhea which at the time was tinged with blood so they gave me 9 syringes with Albon to give once a day. It's been 3 days and he still has diarrhea but now it's yellow and smells horrible! He gets it all over his butt and feet so I do a lot of cleaning. He eats well and seems ok otherwise. My question is does it seem like Coccidia? The vet didn't say but from what I've read online it seems albon is rxed for coccidia. I called today and told them he still has diarrhea and they told me it hasn't been long enough on antibiotics to work.
Am I over analyzing my worry on it? Should I keep giving him the Albon and wait it out?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't know much about this, but it would seem the Albon is starting to work as the bloody tinge is gone. If the vet gave you 9 syringes - one a day - and this is only day 3, I would hope you see some additional changes in the next day or so, and more so as time goes on.

I've read that Albon is typically used for coccidia and is slow to produce relief, because Albon is used to retard the parasitic growth, not kill it - letting the kitten's immune system do the rest. From what I understand, it is best to ensure you finish the entire treatment.

Read this article and see if it helps any.
PetCoach - Ask a Vet Online for Free, 24/7

Good luck and keep us posted! Hopefully others, with more knowledge on this subject, will pipe in soon!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't think I can actually add a lot to that. Albon does take a bit of time to work, for just the reasons stated, and if the blood has stopped, then it is almost certainly beginning to do its job. Hang in there a little longer...and BLESS YOU for rescuing this little one! What is his name?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cbreeze86

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't think I can actually add a lot to that. Albon does take a bit of time to work, for just the reasons stated, and if the blood has stopped, then it is almost certainly beginning to do its job. Hang in there a little longer...and BLESS YOU for rescuing this little one! What is his name?
His name is Oliver! I have 2 syringes left and his diarrhea has not improved other than no blood tinges. It's watery and smells horrid and now he can't make it fast enough to the litter box and ends up getting it on the floor outside the box. I'm taking him to a diff vet tomorrow because I'm worried about him getting dehydrated! Also he is getting a rash on his butt and back of legs from having diarrhea stuck to himself, I wash it off a million times a day but I think all the washing is not good either!

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It does sound like coccidia! And that doesn't always show up in fecal tests. Albon takes forever to work-I've heard it being prescribed for 21 days actually.

Unfortunately coccidia strains can also be resistant. Ask the vet to look into ponazuril. It is not well known because it's labeled to be used in horses, but I have heard that it works much better than albon against coccidia in off-label use in cats. You can give them this too: https://s3.amazonaws.com/sharedlibr...al/marquis_how_to_short_7_2011.pdf?1442021374

Also be sure to sanitize and clean with 10% ammonia (bleach does not kill coccidia) or wash in hot water.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
More good advice from molly92. Use all the above to get more assistance from 2nd vet tomorrow. This is doable! Don't get too frustrated! Cleaning areas with ammonia is good, but ask vet to recommend something to clean poor Oliver's behind. Let us know what happens with the vet visit!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cbreeze86

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's great!! Was it something that the 2nd vet prescribed to help him? Just curious.
The 2nd vet prescribed antibiotics and medication for giardia and later that day his poo became more solid! I think he has giardia instead of coccidia even though his fecal test showed negative

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good! Metronidazole (flagyl), the most common giardia medication, is known for having a really soothing effect on the intestines in general, so that could have helped a lot whatever he had. Great news!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yep, fecal tests for both girardia and coccidia can be tricky to diagnose with fecals. But it looks like you hit the jackpot, or should that be "jacklitterbox," and things are getting better!