5/6 Week Old Kitten And Fleas That Won't Die!

Cbreeze86

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
ave a 5/6 week old kitten that was orphaned and found in a muddy hole, I've had him since Saturday. He is very tiny and was infested with fleas and I mean INFESTED. I bathed him in Dawn 2 times and a lot came off but not nearly enough. On Monday I took him to the vet where they gave him a deworming medicine and Revolution on his shoulder blades. It seemed like most of the fleas were gone until I wiped him down with a baby wipe because he had food all over his face and neck. He still has a huge am of fleas! I know it's not reinfestation because I've kept him quarantined and kept his area and my house clean and using flea killer on floors and washing and drying bedding every day. The Revolution was supposed to kill the fleas within 24-36 hours and its been over 48 hours. He's too young to use flea shampoo. What can I do to get rid of these? I hate keeping him quarantined! He's got at least 20 under his neck and they're everywhere else too. I did call the vet and they didn't really help much other than saying not to use any flea shampoo on him.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you combing him a few times a day with a flea comb as well?

Thank you so much for rescuing him.

Have you asked the vet about capstar?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cbreeze86

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are you combing him a few times a day with a flea comb as well?

Thank you so much for rescuing him.

Have you asked the vet about capstar?
I am going to buy a comb tomorrow! I tried using tweezers but he did not like that at all! I did ask about Capstar but she said he was too young. I have some for my dog but she's 45 lbs so it's too many mg for tiny kitty!

loveskitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
the fleas are coming from the dog. You need a safe room for baby. any pics?
yes soapy water is the end for fleas

what about. q tips dipped in craft glue
?
itlll wash out but sticky the fleas. or apply masking tape...and press on press off them hiding fleas.
poor baby.

Safaria

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When you use the comb after each swipe dip the comb into a glass of hot water and dish soap it will kill the fleas on the comb
I think you can use apple cider vinegar as a spray or just rub it on the shoulder blades to repel them away from the kitty

loveskitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
the adhesives would operate against the fleas not the cats skin.
And wouldn't one day of total freedom from such a damaging infestation be worth it? The cat is in crisis.
As a general practice it might not be advisable but child proof gluebused in craft projects wouldn't contain toxic adhesives

That's why it says non toxic on the label. You could sponge away the tiny bit that gets on the fur.
And the damage being done to that kittens skin and follicles from repeated biting will last longer than reaction to any stray micro millimeter of tape fuzz.

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there any reason why your kitten has not been treated by flea medication administered in tablet or injection form which I believe is a good option? I understand it works by preventing the development of eggs into fleas, eliminating new generations all together.

PS. The injectable treatment is considered safe from 6 weeks of age.

Last edited: