460 miles by car, catamaran ferry, shuttle bus, train, 2 tubes across London underground, train, and

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As far as stress goes, I really recommend talking to your vet about trying Dudley on Nutracalm to help him handle all the changes. It's a natural calming supplement, non prescription but only available from veterinary surgeries. My girl is terrified (and I mean terrified) of the vet, and would always wet herself before we even made it into the exam room. Once out of the cage, she'd be shaking so hard that she felt like she was vibrating , and actually trying to climb into me. Last time I took her, I gave her some Nutracalm beforehand and she was a different cat - no accidents, no shaking, even staying in the middle of the table and letting the vet make a fuss of her! I can't speak highly enough about this product - the change was like night and day.

Good luck with the move. It's a huge undertaking. I really hope it all goes smoothly and that you find your forever home very soon :vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
I've got some stuff called nutriscience kalm aid, containing b vitamins, l-tryptophan and l-theanine.  Is it the same stuff?  I haven't tried him on any yet.  I also have some zylkene capsules, containing maltodextrin and casein.  I haven't tried him on any of those yet either.  I got them for the actual journey/separation anxiety stage.  At the moment I've got feliway and valerian plug-ins, plus sprays of both, and am giving him valerian, mellisa & hops cat-calming spot-on and treats.  To the untrained eye, he wouldn't seem at all stressed but I know him and am fretting about causing him any negative emotions at all.  Like everyone else, I'm going to have to put my hands up to being a worrypot when it comes to my cat.  But, Dudley's stress situation is all too real, I just feel so powerless and can't help feeling kinda cruel, which I know is silly.

But it will pass.  It will pass.  It will pass.

I'll ask the vet about the nutracalm.  I'm taking him vetting in the next week or so.  Thank you for the suggestion.

And thanks for the  

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:doh3: Was sure I'd replied to this already :anon:

Yes, the nutriscience kalm sounds very like the nutracalm. Pending veterinary advice, of course ;) , I can't see any problem with starting Dudley on them now. It's far easier to restore equilibrium before anxiety leaves get too high, in my experience, and supplements seem to work better that way too.

Good luck with your move, and with finding that 'forever' home :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
Columbine Columbine , thanks. Dudley's getting vet checked next week so I'll ask them about it then. And also see if they would help me administer it to him, as he point blank refuses it on food, and I don't want to freak him out any more than necessary by pinning him down and squirting it in his clenched mouth. :eek:

Emoticon withdrawal symptoms are setting in. :(

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you tried mixing it in with something extra yummy and strong tasting? Thrive tuna is usually a surefire trick for getting Asha t eat supplements. 'People' tuna or sardines usually work well too, as can paté. It's worth having a play, for sure - maybe try offering them without the calmer first to get a sense of which his favourite is, then try that one with the calmer added. Adding crumbled freeze dried treats on top can help too, as can crumbled, dehydrated Nature's Menu Country Hunter freeze dried nuggets (which are balanced so can be used as a meal too ;) ).

I hope other preparations are all going as smoothly as possible *vibes*

...and yes, I'm suffering from severe smiley withdrawal too :p

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
He's weirdly not into tuna or sardines etc. I've tried mixing it with Encore but he refused it. He's so fussy. He will skip a meal if it's not to his liking. Brian ate EVERYTHING. Polar opposites.

He loves the valerian treats though!

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Try crushing the valerian treats for a topper (assuming they're biscuity ;) ). I favour the simple plastic bag and rolling pin method! I strongly recommend Cosma/Cosma Thai Snackies - the beef, duck, duck&duck liver and chicken&chicken liver are all pretty strong tasting. Do look into the Nature's Menu freeze dried too - they're kitty crack as far as Asha's concerned :D Norachan Norachan swears by those little pots of coffee creamer you get in hotels and cheap cafes too. Liquid treats like Weebox Lick-e-lix ( I think Miamor and Gelert do similar ones too) can also work very well. Arden Grange do a liver paste for treats/meds hiding, so that's another option to try.

Can you tell I've been researching this a LOT for my girl recently? :p

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
My mum loves those wee coffee creamer pots, is forever "lifting" them, and always has a few kicking about in her handbag! She's an embarrassment. But she's also a good bet for rustling up creamer, salt & pepper sachets, and wee pots of marmalade out of her handbag. She also always carries a Swiss Army knife, which is mostly used for nibbling on blocks of cheese. I must admit to being a sneaky pocket cheese eater myself.

Thanks for your suggestions. They are mostly unknown to me, so it's ever so good to have tried & tested recommendations. I attempt to try Dudley on different things but it becomes expensive when he turns his nose up. The Cats Protection gets a lot of donations, aka, cast-offs, out of me! I've just bought some Nature's Menu freeze dried chicken & liver, salmon & trout, and some Thrive Premium Plus chicken, as he's not had Thrive before and I've noticed you all mentioning it.

I hope Asha's eating ok. I got so used to Brian noising me up for bits of my broccoli, avocado, chickpeas etc etc etc etc etc all the time that I forgot what an effort a picky pussy cat can be.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Asha's not too fussy an eater (though she's got a LOT fussier since realising that she's never going to be deprived of food again :rolleyes:) - she's just not keen on her supplements ;) We do now have a stash of 'rejects' that need donating, mostly stuff that she used to like but has since changed her mind:angrywoman: She's also worked out that mum's the ultimate soft touch when it comes to food, and will go and scrounge some thrive from her if she doesn't fancy what I've provided :evilgrin:.

Shadow:rbheart: was a nightmare to feed - I don't think I've ever known a fussier cat :lol:, so I definitely feel your pain with Dudley :agree: It doesn't always work, but it's well worth emailing manufacturers and asking if they offer samples. The worst they can do is say no, and you may well get a single serving of the food to try, or maybe coupons to offset some of the cost of buying a boxful. I've even had a couple of companies give me a full refund when Shad turned his nose up at their food! So, you never know, and it never hurts to be cheeky and ask:winkcat:

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
You're right. I will email some manufacturers after I've moved. I'm sure I could work out how to word it so that they would feel there was something in it for them, i.e., Dudley's loyal, lifetime, fussy-eaterness. I could offer him up as a grateful poster boy. :tongue:

It's not like I pander to him, if he won't eat his bowl that's up to him, I don't give him anything else until next feeding time. I discontinue with whatever it was though straight away. So, as he knows that he has to skip a meal, I genuinely think he must have inbred sense of taste issues. I would always rotate Brian's brand of food each round, so as to add a wee bit of spice to his life (says the watercress eating cat!). But I'm scared to step out of Dudley's comfort zone. Surely, a cat food company would take pity on such a woeful tale...

I have high hopes for Thrive, though. :hyper:

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Many, many :vibes:that he likes it. In my experience (both with my own cats and from other TCS-ers), only a VERY few cats don't take to it. I've always referred to it as kitty crack:yummy::lol:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
My mum loves those wee coffee creamer pots, is forever "lifting" them, and always has a few kicking about in her handbag! She's an embarrassment.

My mother is the same! Can't go anywhere without her stealing all the condiments when she thinks no one is looking.

:rolleyes:

Does he like mayonnaise? I've managed to get fussy cats to take their meds by hiding it in a blob of mayo. One of my cats loves that squirty cream cheese that comes in a can too. Every cat has something they find irresistible, you just have to try a few things until you hit on the one that works.

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
Haha! My mum even squirrels away as many croissants, butter, and bread rolls as she can if we have bed and breakfast someplace. We've had to recuse many a melting butter in handbag disaster.

When we go on holiday to somewhere like Greece, where there are always loads of cats and you get your own holiday cats who visit you, and sleep on your beds etc, she always steals meat and fish off people's plates who have finished and left them. We've always been vegetarian. The amount of times I've been forced to smuggle kippers wrapped in napkins back to our room is silly. At one point when I was young, she even brought an empty polyfiller tub with us on holiday to fill with pilfered "cat food" to take back to our room.

I don't have kids. There's a reason for this. :confused:

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
Not tried him on squirty cream but my mum uses it with her cats, it's something about the sugary additive. I've not been outside to get anything for a long time, and I'm not going to go, but the Thrive will be delivered today. And his new scratching post has just arrived, which I'm about to set it up for him. I feel as though the friend who is to look after him in Edinburgh deserves a nice new scratching post, not his tatty old thing. I need to get him scenting it now though. And some groovy new toys should turn up today, also.

My move was brought forward a week by the removal man yesterday, my stuff has to be ready to uplift next Friday. I've kinda gone into meltdown and am just wandering around aimlessly, achieving nothing, merely shuffling things from one place to another.

I'm going to have a lie down, aka, hide my head in the sand. :eek: It's all too much for my poor wee brain to take on board all by myself. And I cry whenever I cuddle Dudley as I feel so sorry for him. I am extremely tired and emotional though. I wish Brian were here instead. I love Dudley but Brian would know what to do and would even lend me a hand with packing. Ho hum. :dizzy:

Sorry to offload. I'm using this site as therapy at the moment! :einstein:

foxden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
:censored::livid::censored::argh::censored::fuming::censored::fireblob::censored::eviltongue::censored:

OMG! Your things will be picked up next Friday.

When is Dudley scheduled to be picked up? Is it possible to reschedule the cat transport and remove him from the chaos before the moving truck arrives?
Now that your initial shock has worn off, you need to just start at one end of your flat and GO.

There will be four stacks
1- Dudley's needs -- food, litter, toys and items that will travel with him to your friend in Edinburgh
2- Your needs -- clothing, personal items, things you will be carrying with you as you travel.
3- Things to be moved and put in storage until you have a new place in Edinburgh
4- Things you don't need anymore

Break your "space" up into sections. When you break things up into smaller parts, it is easier to get started and to see progress
One way I've been able to get started on things that seem overwhelming is to use a timer.
You're thinking that "there is so much to do, I'll never get this all finished, this is going to take forever..."
BUT -- you can do anything for just 20 minutes, right?

So, set a timer for 20 minutes, and start sorting and packing. When the bell rings, you can choose to stop then or reset the timer for 20 or 30 minutes and keep working. Once you've started the task, it's often easier to keep working.
Set a reward for yourself at stages of the process -- taking breaks and walking outside, watching TV, playing on the computer. When you decide to take a break -- set the timer on your breaks and rewards as well.

I'm time-limited today because it's income-tax time in the US, and I have to run a final check before the forms go in.

I just wanted to offer my support and good wishes. Take care, we're pulling for you

Hang in there :vibes:
:grouphug2:

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just :hugs::grouphug2::hugs::grouphug::hugs::grouphug2::hugs::grouphug::hugs::grouphug2::hugs::grouphug::hugs::grouphug2::hugs::grouphug::hugs::grouphug2::hugs::grouphug::hugs::grouphug2::hugs::grouphug::hugs::grouphug2::hugs:
and tons of :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

Hang in there. Deep breaths. You CAN get through this. Both you and Dudley are going to be just fine. It's SO easy to get overwhelmed, but, as foxden foxden says, break things down and do them one step at a time. Do you have any friends or family who can come and help you pack up and get sorted?
Don't feel guilty about Dudley for a second. He'll be just fine, I'm sure. Take advantage of as much purr therapy as he can give you :kneading:It'll comfort you both and help you take a step back and refocus. You can do this!!! :hugs:

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks foxden foxden and Columbine Columbine for the pawsitive encouragement. :grouphug:

I live my life by timer, Foxden, I set the alarm on my phone a number of times a day, depending on what I'm up to. I printed off an April calendar about 10 days ago, which I've put on my bedroom wall, with different colours for the different, important events/days, and am crossing through each day that has happened, which was very satisfying until the removal dude gobbled a whole week in one bite. I've only just about recovered from the shock.

I had to make lists to give the removal and house clearance also, which are helpful to have. I just hope the house clearance people, who are coming on Monday to give me a quote, will say they will take stuff away on an appropriate day.

I've been putting absolutely masses of stuff to charity. I've been feeling extremely weighed down by "stuff", which is one of the main reasons why I've not moved sooner. I'm whittling myself down. Not that I'll ever be streamlined exactly, as I'm a stuff-magnet! It's an uncomfortable feeling though, getting rid of myself. But stuff is just stuff. I pray that my next move will be the last in a very long time; I'll no doubt have drawn heaploads of new stuff into my magnetic field in the meantime. :vibes: :hide:

I'm stuck on packing a suitcase of clothes to take. Scotland is an awkward country weather-wise in May and June. I figure if I pack my bag now, then everything not in it will be either to move/store or put out. Then, I can live out of, and repack my bag, later in the week. But, this is an avoidance tactic...

I'm avoiding sifting through the boxes and cupboards of very random junk that I've moved with me 4 times in the last 18 months. I don't want to move them again as they are. When I up-sticked in the first place, I basically grabbed armloads of everything and bunged it willynilly in a van. I managed to somehow throw out my passport, other important documents, and sentimental clothes and objects in that initial move. I seem to have retained clutter and jettisoned meaningful stuff. I have a sinking feeling thinking about the hall cupboard and boxes hidden under blankets in the living room. Out of sight = out of mind. I'm going to have to face up to them and stop all this procrastinating and fiddling about.

And, then there's all the other stuff to arrange and do outwith the physical packing. I've done loads in the past few days but on checking my 'to do' list, I've hardly made a dent. I just want to curl up and pretend it isn't happening. I've slowed right down to snail's pace, I must focus on not stopping still or else I'll find myself standing on a pile of salt and disintegrate. And I need to step away from the computer and listen to Radio 4, instead. I'm so very easily distracted. Deep breathes.

Columbine, I squirted 5ml of the Nutricalm in Dudley's mouth yesterday, which didn't go as cleanly as planned. I'm going to squirt in some more soon but a lot more slowly this time, hahaha!

La de da, tiddly-om pom pom :crossfingers:

foxden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You WILL get through this.
You just have to keep moving. One step at a time, one box at a time. That's all you can do, all you have to do
:grouphug2::grouphug2:
:vibes::vibes::vibes::clap::clap:

foxden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Not to be a distraction, but how are you doing?

I see you've been on and about, but I just wanted to check in...
Hope your list is getting shorter and your pile of sorted boxes is becoming larger.

Again, one box at a time, one cabinet at a time. Use drawers in the bureau to pack things you won't need immediately.

Have you lined up temporary accomodations yet? Could a friend put you up for a few days until you find a "permanent" temporary place from which to search for a rental?

Take care, remember to breathe deeply to ground yourself in the moment.