40-50% of Feeby's diet is baby food meat

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From what I read with Alnutrin, you must add liver, and eggshells or an equivalent. That is why I wanted to take baby steps (no pun intended) with the EZComplete - and for pathetic me, then work my 'way up' to Alnutrin for chicken baby food. I don't even know if Feeby will eat the baby food meat with anything added to it.
You're following my path, FeebysOwner FeebysOwner ! I started making food with EZ but then branched out into Alnutrin for more variety. And then had to stop EZ because the mussels in it made Edwina barf.

You can buy Alnutrin with egg shell calcium so that part's easy. You do have to add liver but freeze-dried is easier than raw and I do have a formula for how much to use.

I'm not sure I'll ever work my way up to anything much more complicated than that!

And now: Fingers crossed that Feeby will eat supplemented baby food!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You do have to add liver but freeze-dried is easier than raw and I do have a formula for how much to use.
I read that! And somehow keep forgetting it? But, trying to embed that in my brain, because that will certainly be the way I go! First test is with EZComplete and ham baby food meat!

Box of Rain

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When liver is one many delectable ingredients in a meal of fresh meat products, 98% of the time both my dog and my cat will eat the fresh (or fresh/frozen) liver first.

The same happens in the wild with big cats and wolves.

Fresh liver is a highly prized, nutritious, and delicious item for our carnivorous friends.

Just sayin'.

Bill

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When liver is one many delectable ingredients in a meal of fresh meat products, 98% of the time both my dog and my cat will eat the fresh (or fresh/frozen) liver first.

The same happens in the wild with big cats and wolves.

Fresh liver is a highly prized, nutritious, and delicious item for our carnivorous friends.

Just sayin'.

Bill
Yes, our cats love fresh liver, too! But there have been times when I haven't been able to buy fresh chicken liver. And times when (I confess) I didn't want to portion it out. My favorite scenario is when I buy a roasting chicken that comes with heart, giblet, and liver. There have even been a few times when I got multiple livers in one chicken, which meant I had plenty of liver for multiple batches of food!

Box of Rain

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My very favorite store has been hit and miss on both fresh chicken liver and fresh dark meat turkey pieces (like drumsticks) but great on everything else. Lot's of other organs and good parts.

So my wife hits the "other" market to fill in the chicken liver and turkey parts.

I also feed a fair portion of beef liver (and kidney and other stuff).

Before raw feeding I always loved getting liver in a whole chicken. I'd fry it up and hoard it for myself as "the chef's portion." No one else complained about that. LOL

Happily, my son has developed a taste for liver and together we polished off a nice portion of chopped chicken liver spread that I cooked up recently. So good!

Bill

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Re-checking with EZComplete to find out other ways to get samples from them. They are under the mis-guided impression that you can use PayPal without having an account in order to pay them for the samples. That once was true, but no longer is. I don't have - nor do I want an account with PayPal, so we will see...

In the meantime, I hadn't done more research on Alnutrin because I wanted to start with EZComplete. So, based on the raw feeding site I included a link to above regarding using these supplements with baby food meat, I got confused. It says to use Alnutrin for Meat & Bone, and then add eggshells and liver. OK, but then I read more that said something about the Meat & Bone containing too much phosphorus for CKD cats???? (Home site address: Raw Feeding for IBD Cats - Feline IBD)

I quote:
1.) To balance chicken baby food, you must either use Alnutrin for meat & bone (plus liver AND powdered eggshell, separately) or a homemade supplement we provide.

2.)
Alnutrin with Calcium, Alnutrin with Eggshell -
These require the addition of boneless meat & liver and food made with these premixes will meet the AAFCO nutrient guidelines for adult cats, not growth. With the lower phosphorus content due to using egghsell or calcium carbonate instead of bone as the source of calcium, foods made with these two premixes are appropriate for seniors.

Alnutrin for Meat & Bone - This is designed to make 80/10/10 mixes complete & balanced and does result in a food that meets AAFCO nutrient guidelines for growth given bone is the source of calcium. Foods made with bone have a higher phosphorus content and are not appropriate for seniors.

Am I missing something, or reading over something???? What I thought might be a simpler solution for Feeby's love of baby food meat is turning into a nightmare.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Remind me again why you aren't just making your own "baby food"? 😆 Bill
Yes, I will be happy to remind you, with some additional details for merit. I have a cat who refuses most foods. Those she will eat, I continue to give her for as much as she will eat them. The rest is supplemented by baby food meat. I cannot replicate the baby food meat texture, despite some of you thinking I can. I have tried and sorry it is not possible. The mousse foods won't even substitute. I want to feed her the baby food meat she loves and was hoping adding supplements will not destroy the texture she favors.

I truly hope you never have a cat like mine, but if you do, please let me know. If you do, I don't think you will be laughing.

Box of Rain

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, I will be happy to remind you, with some additional details for merit. I have a cat who refuses most foods. Those she will eat, I continue to give her for as much as she will eat them. The rest is supplemented by baby food meat. I cannot replicate the baby food meat texture, despite some of you thinking I can. I have tried and sorry it is not possible. The mousse foods won't even substitute. I want to feed her the baby food meat she loves and was hoping adding supplements will not destroy the texture she favors.

I truly hope you never have a cat like mine, but if you do, please let me know. If you do, I don't think you will be laughing.
I sincerely didn't mean to cause any offense.

I am trying to be light-hearted and helpful in what is obviously a difficult situation for you.

Bill

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I sincerely didn't mean to cause any offense...I am trying to be light-hearted and helpful in what is obviously a difficult situation for you.
Semi-apology accepted. Light-heartedness has its place, and I am all for it. But I need to look beyond that, so I may have dismissed the intended joviality, given it doesn't really help much.

Box of Rain

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Semi-apology accepted. Light-heartedness has its place, and I am all for it. But I need to look beyond that, so I may have dismissed the intended joviality, given it doesn't really help much.
You missed the second part, which is helpful. I hope to be helpful to you. I'm sorry you are having a difficult time. Really.

To that end, I think it is quite possible, easy--in fact, to recreate a commercial baby food texture.

If the consistency has to be a perfect match with the creamy texture of commercial brands, the key to add a small amount of cornstarch to the meat puree as a thickener and gently boil it until the starch begins to set.

After cooking a puree with cornstarch it will take on the same "gravy-like" consistency found in jarred food.

Bill

Last edited:

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
2.)
Alnutrin with Calcium, Alnutrin with Eggshell -
These require the addition of boneless meat & liver and food made with these premixes will meet the AAFCO nutrient guidelines for adult cats, not growth. With the lower phosphorus content due to using egghsell or calcium carbonate instead of bone as the source of calcium, foods made with these two premixes are appropriate for seniors.
I use Alnutrin with eggshell calcium for our cats' food. You would just use the baby food, the Alnutrin, and some liver. (I also add fish oil and egg yolk but those are optional.) I recall others saying that Alnutrin is very good about answering questions.

I totally understand not wanting to make your own food. (And understand what you're saying about not being able to replicate texture...) I make food but can't say I love doing it; the only part I love is that the cats eat the food and I know exactly what's in it. We're lucky that our cats aren't usually particularly picky, though Edwina was maddeningly difficult to feed before her recent surgery... That's always very hard to deal with on so many levels. I have only respect for all your work feeding Feeby. ❤