40-50% of Feeby's diet is baby food meat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OK, my head hurts. I am thinking of starting out slow and getting the EZComplete for her ham baby food and working on the chicken as my brain will handle. At least that way, half of her baby food meat would be getting supplemented. Half more than now anyway.

Box of Rain

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
OK, my head hurts. I am thinking of starting out slow and getting the EZComplete for her ham baby food and working on the chicken as my brain will handle. At least that way, half of her baby food meat would be getting supplemented. Half more than now anyway.
I only see one EZ Complete pre-mix for cats on the Food Fur Life website. I'm confused why you'd only supplement for the ham portion?

Bill

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I only see one EZ Complete pre-mix for cats on the Food Fur Life website. I'm confused why you'd only supplement for the ham portion? Bill
Per the document I shared above, EZ Complete is not appropriate for chicken baby food meat - due to the calcium that is included in how that particular baby food meat is processed. Apparently, it would be 'double dosing' the amount of calcium that is necessary.

Box of Rain

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Per the document I shared above, EZ Complete is not appropriate for chicken baby food meat - due to the calcium that is included in how that particular baby food meat is processed. Apparently, it would be 'double dosing' the amount of calcium that is necessary.
Ah. Thank you. I missed that.

Bill

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ah. Thank you. I missed that. Bill
It stinks because EZ Complete, all by itself, could have been the answer. But no, my cat in her usual 'let me not be normal' mode, has to make it much more complicated. This fits the bill with her all the way - her H-T and CKD, and now lymphoma are all 'unusual'. As all the vets have said, 'she is a complicated case'.

Box of Rain

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It stinks because EZ Complete, all by itself, could have been the answer. But no, my cat in her usual 'let me not be normal' mode, has to make it much more complicated. This fits the bill with her all the way - her H-T and CKD, and now lymphoma are all 'unusual'. As all the vets have said, 'she is a complicated case'.
The very first word that came to my mind when I read the OP was "complicated."

You could do half the EZ Complete and 8 grams of liver every other day ;)

You got her to 18, that's something.

Bill

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have never tried EZ complete but it looks pretty interesting. I wonder if my cats would like this. Meat shortages and all, and sometimes the suppliers I use are out of things I really need :(
I have used Alnutrin before in a pinch. My cats didn't seem to even notice anything was different.
I have used Dr. Harvey's for my dogs, and I really wish he had more available for cats.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I came here to read the information which was very fascinating. Thanks to all I learned a lot.

I just wanted to add that my vet was able to give me taurine suppliments for Magnus and tell me how much to give. They weren't expensive...around $20/month but I unfortunately no longer have a bottle laying around.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Wow! Word of forewarning if any of you decide to ask EZComplete for samples of their products. I sent an email request to ask how I could go about getting more than one sample to test with Feeby's ham baby food meat. I received a response that told me my cat is nauseous and I should follow up on that first! And they recommended Slippery Elm. Then, they explained their product cannot be used with chicken - that part was my fault as I omitted the word 'ham' from my inquiry. Then, they shared the same data with me that I shared with you all above about how to make baby food 'complete'.

While it is nice to know they care so much about the wellbeing of their customer's pets, I thought it was a tad bit overbearing to tell me that I needed to first pursue nausea. I had to reply and explain that nausea has already been ruled out, and then responded to their other comments as well. After a couple more email exchanges, they said I could order two samples, and then get back to them if I thought additional samples were needed before purchasing their 225g bag (covering 12.1 pounds of food).

Just thought I would let you know that you need to do some explaining to them about your cat should you inquire about getting extra samples!!!!

Box of Rain

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm actually quite impressed that the folks at EZComplete would exercise the due diligence (and spend their time) to interact with a potential new customer, as opposed to just sending out sample with no questions asked.

They have no idea what's the state of their potential customer's cats and them delving in the issues strikes me as the responsible way for them to respond.

I understand that a person who has done all the right things, as you have, might feel some annoyance, but think how many people they must deal with who have not necessarily taken the remedial steps and ruled out other health issues.

IMO we could only hope that this level of concern was more universal.

Bill

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I understand that a person who has done all the right things, as you have, might feel some annoyance, but think how many people they must deal with who have not necessarily taken the remedial steps and ruled out other health issues.
They did mention that many potential customers don't really understand what is necessary. But perhaps being a bit more tactful might be in order, you know? Rather than tell me that my cat is nauseous, and I should check into that first, perhaps, they could have simply asked if there was any possibility that my cat might, by chance, be nauseous, and then explained why they asked - which they did not explain at all. I don't think a 'less informed' inquirer would have been any more receptive to the approach they took than I was.

What is odd is that if you order just one sample via their web site, there is no dialog/exchange that takes place between the order placer and the order taker. However, they do send instructions, even with a single sample order - so, that might actually have a lot of information in it. I imagine I will find out when I place/receive my order!

Box of Rain

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They did mention that many potential customers don't really understand what is necessary. But perhaps being a bit more tactful might be in order, you know? Rather than tell me that my cat is nauseous, and I should check into that first, perhaps, they could have simply asked if there was any possibility that my cat might, by chance, be nauseous, and then explained why they asked - which they did not explain at all. I don't think a 'less informed' inquirer would have been any more receptive to the approach they took than I was.

What is odd is that if you order just one sample via their web site, there is no dialog/exchange that takes place between the order placer and the order taker. However, they do send instructions, even with a single sample order - so, that might actually have a lot of information in it. I imagine I will find out when I place/receive my order!
I understand where you are coming from, as I could be you. Heck, I could be much worse. LOL

I have my qualities, but infinite patience is not one of them.

That said, I can only imagine some of the people they find themselves dealing with. Especially in the "double sample" crowd. LOL

Say, I have a crazy question.

If this 13 year old cat likes (and tolerates) both chicken and pork baby food, and the ingredients in at least one complicates things (and both have more sodium than I'd like to see), why not make up little batches of your own (cat) baby food?

Feel free to ignore me ;)

Bill

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If this 13 year old cat likes (and tolerates) both chicken and pork baby food, and the ingredients in at least one complicates things (and both have more sodium than I'd like to see), why not make up little batches of your own (cat) baby food? Feel free to ignore me
LOL!! (Btw, she's 18+ yo, but I think you knew that - the good old 'typo' that I am unfortunately quite familiar with in my own posts.)

I think what you are proposing is just a slight rendition of homemade cat food - which I was trying to avoid! A lot of work (yes, I guess you could say I am lazy), especially if I can find 'short cuts' with food I already know she will eat. One of the reasons for her preference with baby food meat is the texture (she will only eat pates), so while homemade can be developed to mimic that kind of texture, it is a little harder to do.

Box of Rain

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
LOL!! (Btw, she's 18+ yo, but I think you knew that - the good old 'typo' that I am unfortunately quite familiar with in my own posts.)

I think what you are proposing is just a slight rendition of homemade cat food - which I was trying to avoid! A lot of work (yes, I guess you could say I am lazy), especially if I can find 'short cuts' with food I already know she will eat. One of the reasons for her preference with baby food meat is the texture (she will only eat pates), so while homemade can be developed to mimic that kind of texture, it is a little harder to do.
18?, that's like 5 bonus years. LOL

Apparently good short-term memory is also not one of my great qualities.

What I do like to do (and am good at) is cooking, so I'd be all over making baby-food textured cat meals. Seems easy to me and less fuss that trying to balance out nutrients in products whose ingredient formula is not entirely known.

But sometimes I have to realize that I'm way on the end of a spectrum on this sort of thing. LOL

I have such fun prepping Desmond's meals. And he's such a good little eater. Makes me happy watching him.

Bill

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What I do like to do (and am good at) is cooking, so I'd be all over making baby-food textured cat meals. Seems easy to me and less fuss that trying to balance out nutrients in products whose ingredient formula is not entirely known.
I confess that I'd also find it easier to just make the simple food from scratch rather than try to balance the baby food with a premix! Of course in my case that's largely because I'd worry about miscalculating how much supplement to how much baby food. I like to have definite numbers.

So. I'll add this: If you have a food processor, it's pretty easy to make cat meals with a baby food texture. In fact I made some last night with chicken and turkey! And a few giblets. And I don't mean to be overbearing but I'll add this: I cook the meat (in the oven, covered with foil) in plenty of water then add more water as needed when I process the meat and portion the mush for the freezer. I also make food with shredded, chopped, or minced meat but when I'm in a hurry, I puree, which the cats (particularly the post-op cat!) also love. Our cats are all in on Alnutrin.

Box of Rain

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I confess that I'd also find it easier to just make the simple food from scratch rather than try to balance the baby food with a premix! Of course in my case that's largely because I'd worry about miscalculating how much supplement to how much baby food. I like to have definite numbers.

So. I'll add this: If you have a food processor, it's pretty easy to make cat meals with a baby food texture. In fact I made some last night with chicken and turkey! And a few giblets. And I don't mean to be overbearing but I'll add this: I cook the meat (in the oven, covered with foil) in plenty of water then add more water as needed when I process the meat and portion the mush for the freezer. I also make food with shredded, chopped, or minced meat but when I'm in a hurry, I puree, which the cats (particularly the post-op cat!) also love. Our cats are all in on Alnutrin.
If one did not have, say, a food processor, the $35 Cuisinart Mini Prep machine are essentially custom made to make baby food. Purfect.

Bill

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If one did not have, say, a food processor, the $35 Cuisinart Mini Prep machine are essentially custom made to make baby food. Purfect.

Bill
Yes, I have a Cuisinart Mini Prep, too! (My regular processor is also a Cuisinart, just a regular one, nothing big, but it works very well for the purpose.) I've used the mini for cat food, for batches where I've chopped/sliced/diced most of the meat but pureed a bit as a sort of "base."

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd worry about miscalculating how much supplement to how much baby food. I like to have definite numbers...it's pretty easy to make cat meals with a baby food texture. In fact, I made some last night with chicken and turkey! ...Our cats are all in on Alnutrin.
That is what is nice about that article I shared; it gave the exact amount of EZComplete to add to a jar of non-chicken baby food meat! No guessing.
We don't eat a lot of meats in our house, and if we do it is usually online orders (or restaurants, pre-COVID), and we are woeful cooks! We do bake fish - many kinds - but I have not thought about trying to make cat food from it. Rather, we will give Feeby a small bite as a snack - tbh, that is about all she wants of fish anyway and she refuses fish cat food.

From what I read with Alnutrin, you must add liver, and eggshells or an equivalent. That is why I wanted to take baby steps (no pun intended) with the EZComplete - and for pathetic me, then work my 'way up' to Alnutrin for chicken baby food. I don't even know if Feeby will eat the baby food meat with anything added to it.

Box of Rain

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, I have a Cuisinart Mini Prep, too! (My regular processor is also a Cuisinart, just a regular one, nothing big, but it works very well for the purpose.) I've used the mini for cat food, for batches where I've chopped/sliced/diced most of the meat but pureed a bit as a sort of "base."
Same. I must admit that my Mini Prep has mostly lived in the back of a cupboard in recent years, but when my now-about-to-head-off-to-college son was a baby, the Mini Prep had its day.

Bill

Box of Rain

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That is what is nice about that article I shared; it gave the exact amount of EZComplete to add to a jar of non-chicken baby food meat! No guessing.
We don't eat a lot of meats in our house, and if we do it is usually online orders (or restaurants, pre-COVID), and we are woeful cooks! We do bake fish - many kinds - but I have not thought about trying to make cat food from it. Rather, we will give Feeby a small bite as a snack - tbh, that is about all she wants of fish anyway and she refuses fish cat food.

From what I read with Alnutrin, you must add liver, and eggshells or an equivalent. That is why I wanted to take baby steps (no pun intended) with the EZComplete - and for pathetic me, then work my 'way up' to Alnutrin for chicken baby food. I don't even know if Feeby will eat the baby food meat with anything added to it.
Hello EZComplete, could you possibly send 3 or 4 packets of samples? LOL

Bill