4 Year Old Hissing/Swatting Kitten After 6 Months.

rk136

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

I don't know if anyone can help. I have an 8 month old female kitten and a 4 year old male cat. I've had the cat since he was a kitten as well and bought this new one so that he had a friend.

However, since I bought her bought her home he's pretty much spent most of the time hissing and swatting at her. Very rarely does he play with her or he'll wash her and then hiss in her face and bite the back of neck.

They'll get close during food time, if they're eating treats or at bed time because they both sleep on my bed - though they do get on the bed at separate times - but that's about the closest they ever get to each other.

Do any of you have any idea how to stop him from hissing and swatting at her so that they can live in peace. He is neutered, she isn't spayed yet but I am going to make an appointment and I use the friends feliway upstairs.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, Welcome!

You're right, I think getting her spayed will help. Can you play with him to help wear off some of the energy (maybe even take him for walks in a harness and leash to engage his mind). Also, play with her so she retains or gains some confidence, and try playing with them together.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would expect an 8mt to be bugging the bekneesus out of another cat. If she's respecting his boundaries they are communication well.

Get her spayed as soon as you can. The hormones could be putting him off.

Does he enjoy anything about her? Will he watch or join in when you use a string toy with her?

The cold work well for cats that kinda, sorta, don't know if they want to be family. Turn down the temp. See if he lets her near for warmth.

Toss some bird seed outside one window so they can sit next to each other.

If he was any only cat for those years he's learning how to be with another and deciding how and when he want to do that. It seems long to you but not to him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rk136

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If I try to play with the older one then she will try and take over and so he'll then walk away and stop playing. She'll play just fine with anything; I just can't get them to play together. Even looking out of a window, Alf - the older one - will hiss at her if she comes near him and jump off.

Sometimes it seems like he likes her, he'll indulge her and play for a little bit. They'll chase each other but then he'll start hissing again and swat her so I don't know what to do to stop it

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hopefully the spaying will help :vibes::crossfingers:

Oh by the way, can you take him along when you go to the vet with her? The idea is to have both of them smell the same when everybody gets back home. If that doesn't work, sometimes people dab a little vanilla or raw coconut oil at the base of the tail on the back, and on the back of the neck to try and offset one cat smelling like a total stranger because it's been to the vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rk136

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hopefully the spaying will help :vibes::crossfingers:

Oh by the way, can you take him along when you go to the vet with her? The idea is to have both of them smell the same when everybody gets back home. If that doesn't work, sometimes people dab a little vanilla or raw coconut oil at the base of the tail on the back, and on the back of the neck to try and offset one cat smelling like a total stranger because it's been to the vet.
Oh okay, I'll definitely do that thank you 😊 that is definitely a good idea!