4 Year Old cat still weeing on my bed

Rufus93

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,

It’s 5:46am and I’ve just been up for the last 30 minutes trying to save my bed sheets from smelling like cat wee. I woke up to a warm liquid on my legs and immediately I shouted to my partner “his done it again!”.

My cat will be 4 years old in March and while this occurrence doesn’t happen often it’s something I feel shouldn’t be happening at all. I estimate he has done a wee on the bed maybe 3 or 4 times over the last 8 months.

I checked his litter box and he had recently done a poo. Is it normal for cats to want to wee somewhere else if he has already done a poo and doesn’t want to get himself dirty on his own poo in the box? I know cats like to be clean but other times he is happy to use his litter to do a 1 and 2.

We do have a puppy and sometimes the puppy will go and watch and sit right next to the litter when he is on it so he could of wanted to avoid that but the puppy also can easily jump up on to our bed.

I live in a smaller apartment so two litter boxes is not going to work. We’ve had to elevate his litter box so the puppy doesn’t constantly eat the litter so another box would be a nightmare.

Has anyone had any similar issues with their cat weeing on their bed? Every time he has done it it’s been in the same place, right around where my knees are on the bed.... it’s great... We’ve given the sheets a good wash and sprayed Natures Miracle and vinegar/bicarb soda mixes on it to clean it every time. One last thing, we have a bath mat in the bathroom right next to the litter box, he has pee’d on that a few times before so why in this instance did he decide to pee on our bed again instead of the mat which he has gone to the toilet on a lot more.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You may need to get a new matresss. Everything that has pee on it needs to washed in an enzyme cleaner first, then wash your bedding. Get a waterproof mattress liner.

All that said. I strongly suggest a vet visit first, to make sure there are no URI or crystals.

I would also try multiple litter boxes in multiple rooms along with a litter box on top of a tub or bench or something to get it higher next to your bed. (Gross I know but temporary.) Remove all litter box lids so kitty doesn’t feel trapped. Also try cat attract litter. If the puppy is stressing out the cat, might I suggest crate training puppy?

Hang in there. Trying to figure out why cats are avoiding the litter box is like playing a game of clue........ that lasts weeks or months. It is solvable but it takes time.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh & a black light will show pee spots. Whatever glows, clean with an enzyme cleaner. (I use natures miracle.) For set in pee stains they sell special enzyme cleaners for when the pee has been set I. For a long time. Try soaking your mattress pee spots with it and letting it soak overnight.

Lastly if it might be the puppy or another cat & all the above doesn’t work, you may need to set up an overnight camera to see who is making the pee spots. Sometimes it is more than just one cat. There is more than what I listed above but those are the most obvious ones.

For some poor cats that get to stressed then they have to go on Prozac BUT that is after months of trying other stuff.

Claire07x

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey, I've actually made a video on this and tips on how to fix it, if you'd like to check it out?
Hopefully it'll give you some good info and suggestions!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Beds are #1, and bathmats are probably in the top 5, or top 10 anyway. They can kneed the sheets/blankets beneath the paws, its like burying waste to them. Certainly think about the puppy, litterbox cleanlyness, UTIs and all that jazz, but if its only once every couple of months and only the bed and bathmat . . . there may not be much of a reason beyond those being attractive targets unfortunately. You might want to try keeping the cat off the bed and hanging the bath mat up (way up) when not in use. And watch where you leave your dirty clothes, with a heap on the floor being super dangerous . . . as danteshuman danteshuman suggested, when you have a cat hitting two spots there might be others.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can buy a tarp to put over your bed after you make it, to make it unattractive to pee on. However if they do it in your sleep & the problem can’t be solved by the vet/all the tips above ........... you may need to kick the cat out while you sleep.

⭐ Oh & you may need to soak your comforter & blankets in enzyme cleaner to get the pee smell out. Cats smell is as sensitive as a dog. So just because you can’t smell the pee; doesn’t mean they can’t.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rufus93

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks everyone! A lot of great suggestions so I guess I have some options and will test these out.