4 year old and new kitten issues!

New mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a 4 year old, Luna, that I found when she was a few days old. Thanks to the amazing suggestions I got here that I was able to save her. Recently, adopted a stray, Mishri (means Sugar in Hindi), she is now 4 month old. I got her when she was about 5 week old. Mishri is very playful, full of energy, love to eat anything, took time to be toiled trained. Luna is picky with her food, moody, very loving when she wants to be, very clean. We introduced both of them slowly. Making sure we play with them separately. Making extra sure to spend more time with Luna. Every time Mishri sees Luna, she wants to play, pounce, run, Lana wants nothing to do with that. Lana is hissing and swatting at Mishri. As of now we are keeping them separately most of the time. If Mishri sits quietly, Luna will sit in front of her without saying anything. Luna is not aggressive towards Mishri like she is towards another stray that lives in our neighborhood. Our Dr. has put her on a natural supplement to reduce stress and help her calm. Luna is spayed and we will be getting Mishri spayed too. Luna is now spraying all over our house since we got Mishri. On the sofas, walls, kitchen counter. I am cleaning really well after her with an enzyme cleanser.

Please, can anyone suggest on what to do. I know if they could get past this hurdle, they would be good for each other.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hissing and some swatting is nothing more than Luna teaching the new little "upstart" her place in the scheme of things. So long as she isn't actually harming the kitten, this is very normal. Let her do her thing, but be ready to step in IF it gets to the "blood or pee on the floor and fur in the air" point. THAT is an actual cat-fight. If Mishri were still with her mama, mama would be doing the same thing when Mishri got out of line.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

New mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Any suggestion on how to stop Luna from spraying?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

New mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm wondering if calming products might help - there are treats and sprays as well as the more expensive plugin varieties.
We are already giving her a natural anxiety pill, got the very expensive felliway, which is not helping.