4 wk old kittens w URI

kmbishop111

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My son and his fiance took in young stray cat who turned out to be pregnant. She gave birth to 4 kittens, who are 4 weeks old. A few days ago they started showing signs of URI. I work full time and opposite hours of my son so we usually see each other on the weekends. That being said, last night I got a call at 10 pm, one of the kittens was dying. :(

I get there and one is a lot worse than others. Cool to the touch, loud meowing, throwing head back some. Didn't have heating pad or humidifier so made do w steamy showers and heating rice socks for warmth and keeping "Sparky" in kitty burrito in bt the socks.

I had Terramycin on hand, so cleaned there eyes and applied Terramycin. Also had Nutrical

After Sparky finally got warmed up, started giving just a dab of Nutrical on gums, then few drops of sugar water every 3 minutes for over an hour to try to raise his blood sugar. He perked up a little, but still in trouble.

When I left at 6am, my sons fiance was so tired she passed out. She just woke up and Sparky is still with us, barely. Any advice on how to proceed from here?

We have no emergency Vet care in my small town. Appts are usually 2 weeks out even on Euthanasias due to the 3 clinics in my town being super busy at all times. Thats being an established client, still long wait.

I have told her not to try to feed any of the kittens if cold, so that base is covered but unsure where to go from here. I work 3rd shift tonight, so Ive got about 4 hours to help her w kittens.

TIA!

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately they need to see the vet. You can call them and ask how to proceed. Keep them warm, so have a heater on.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kmbishop111

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, I was afraid of that. I think shes doing everything she can do for them right now. Ill try to call in a favor in the morning after I get off work at one of the clinics. Ugh.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They need an antibiotic to clear their URI’s. The vet will likely prescribe liquid clavamox or amoxicillin.

In the meantime, do they nurse from mom at all? Is she sick too?

Honey or sugar water on their gums will give a quick energy boost to help them eat. Steaming will also help. I hope they hang in there!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I’m so sorry. RIP Scrappy. You were loved. :angel: :rbheart: A new angel just crossed the Rainbow Bridge.

How are the other kittens doing?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kmbishop111

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’m so sorry. RIP Scrappy. You were loved. :angel: :rbheart: A new angel just crossed the Rainbow Bridge.

How are the other kittens doing?
They're not doing well. :( My sons fiance is 5 months pregnant, and very hormonal. I've tried my absolute best to let her know that the kittens need to eat every few hours, but I think it's gotten too much for her to deal with.

Ive offered to come over and bottlefeed, since mom is not nursing them that I have witnessed. She lets me come over twice a day, but I don't think she is bottlefeeding them at other times.

I just dont know what to do. They asked for help but now I dont think they like the advice I have given or can deal w following thru. Im being as supportive as I can, but it's killing me knowing these little ones are not getting what they need.

I work 2nd and 3rd shift, so I sleep of a morning. Tonight, one of the kittens had perked up and was taking the bottle well, but the other two I'm very worried about

Forgive the long post, Im just frustrated at the situation and that I cant help more.

Joelle and the kittens

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do you have weights of the kittens? If your son's fiancée isn't able/willing to supplement them multiple times a day it would honestly be better to find a seasoned foster from a rescue group to take them in and get them healthy. They'll be weaning soon so that should be a relief but they really need to be at an age-appropriate weight first.