4 weeks old kitten do not keep body temp.

drud

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
3 weeks ago I found 3 kittens left in a box . I take care of the smallest female. Last 2 nights it did not keep its body temperature and I found it almost dead i.e.no breath cold body  dilated pupils and no eye reflex on touch.I rinsed it for 10 min under warm water till it start move . now it is alive but weak and don eat so much . It dose not drink unless I feed it with a nursing bottle . Need  H E L P 

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
As for the immediate...
Put some Honey or Karyo syrup on her gums. If you do not have this, sugar water will suffice for the immediate.

Wrap her up and get her warm. While the water will initially warm, her body temperature will drop due to the drying process. It is URGENT that you get her WARM and DRY!

Kittens this young cannot regulate their body temperature. If there is no mom, you need to provide an external heat source for this kitten when she is not in direct contact with you. A heating pad set on low, or a rice sock warmed up (get an old sock, with it with plain rice, heat until warm, but not hot.)

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
It is normal for kittens this young to solely bottle feed. Make sure she is tummy down when doing this.

Also, the hole for the nipple should be large enough so only a drop of milk forms on it when the bottle is held upside down. You do not want milk to pour from the nipple. This flow rate is too much and can lead the kitten to aspirate.

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
What type of formula are you feeding her?
PetAg is the most recommended here, and the powdered form is preferred. Century and GNC are good brands as well. Whole Goat's Milk is a good option too.

Stay away from Hartz and Seargents.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What happened to the other kittens? I am questioning whether she is actually four weeks. Kittens under three weeks old can't regulate their own body temperatures and need constant access to a heating element. A sock with raw rice in it, microwaved for 5 minutes works well.

She needs to be be fed every two hours from a boyyle while she is weak. She also need help pottying.

Please do not hold her under water again. She needs access to do heat. She will be too chilled.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If she is really about 4weeks, this is a major crisis.  At that age they usually can control their body temp.

Yet, the basic treatment is exactly the same as for weak younger kittens.  Help with temp, actively warming up with a heating pad. (if you dont have, a rice filled sock, warmed up in micro - the duration may depend, but 5 minutes is common - works nicely and holds warmth several hours).  Carrying at your chest is too useful.

You may need to help with stimulating too.   The very sick gets often alike small children, no?

Forcefeed if necessary, with kmr or goat milk.   Be sure she is hydrated.  Some sort of baby pedialyte is  good for giving water.

Glucose sugar, or other sugar source is good for perking up energy.

Submering in warm water is a nice trick in desperate cases.   But normally, use a heating pad.   Of course dry off thoroughly after this submerging...

Please continue to report.  IF it was a major crisis in an otherwise seemingly healty kitten, she may be gone, so we need reports if the fight is still on and what to try to do.

3 weeks ago I found 3 kittens left in a box . I take care of the smallest female. Last 2 nights it did not keep its body temperature and I found it almost dead i.e.no breath cold body  dilated pupils and no eye reflex on touch.I rinsed it for 10 min under warm water till it start move . now it is alive but weak and don eat so much . It dose not drink unless I feed it with a nursing bottle . Need  H E L P 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

drud

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all!

I found Louise Feb 26 so she is about 5 week old . I built an incubator with a fluorescent lamp the temp is 27-29 C.

The other 2 kittens are at homes with older cats and toy dogs and they are well.

I feed her Similac Isomil 1 and now since  she is dehydrated I make  diluted X2.

Tank you again you are great help to Louise and to me as well.

Udi

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
The Similac is a infant formula, correct? This is not the ideal formula for a kitten. There are kitten-specific formulas...PetAg, Century, GNC are good brands. Full fat goat's milk is ok as well.

Unflavored Pedialyte is good for dehydration. Helps replenish electrolytes better than water.

How is her appetite now? Any improvement from earlier?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Adding water to the formula isn't a great solution because she isn't getting enough calories. Can you keep feeding every two hours and feed water in addition a few times a day?

How much are you giving her per feeding?

Last edited:

drud

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I feed her Similac as I did not find kittens formula and I had very good experience with non dairy babies formula years ago.

Now I believe the crisis started from canned kitten food that i do not know the brand as I got rid of it when i saw that my bitch did not touch it  .

An hour ago I gave Louise canned tuna by Schesir and she ate quite well.

Now she sleeps and warm . I'll also go to sleep ( it is 1:47 am here ) I'll update tomorrow.

Thank you all  

Udi 

louann jude

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

I feed her Similac as I did not find kittens formula and I had very good experience with non dairy babies formula years ago.

Now I believe the crisis started from canned kitten food that i do not know the brand as I got rid of it when i saw that my bitch did not touch it  .

An hour ago I gave Louise canned tuna by Schesir and she ate quite well.

Now she sleeps and warm . I'll also go to sleep ( it is 1:47 am here ) I'll update tomorrow.

Thank you all  

Udi 
If you can't find KMR its best to feed her goats milk. The Similac doesn't have the correct nutrients for a growing kitten. 

drud

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hallow !

I found an Italian kitten formula Pappylait gatto by Condioli. Next feedings I will gradually change to the formula . Louise getting a little better she sleeps a lot and when I wake her up she slowly reacts . She gets on our shoes or walking to the warmest place at home next to the dryer. As you recommended I added sugar to the formula and it seem to work . She started licking water but I have to push her into it. I fed her Schesir salmon with a spoon  and she ate some 1-2 grams  . She pees and pupped . Before the crisis her weight was 230 gr went down to 190 gr and now 198 gr .