4 week old?

stormysmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We have been having a time here. We are taking care of two stray puppies and looking for the owner and then this little guy shows up cold and hungry under my Jeep this afternoon.

I would guess that he is about 4 weeks old. Should he have formula and kitten food or would he be alright with just kitten food? The litter of kittens we cared for before had their mother and were still nursing at this age but this guy is flying solo.

Sorry I have been staying away for a while. Two of my darlings crossed over the bridge a couple of months ago and it has been too hard to come by and see all of the sweethearts here on the board.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stormysmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
by the way he does have teeth and can handle solid food. I caught him with a bit of turkey lunch meat and followed it with a bit of tuna. He inhaled it.

jkrodger

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well it sounds like he's already weaned. I'd try kitten wet food and keep some of the kitten dry food on hand to start mixing that in. But if it looks like he's having a hard time with the food, I'd take a step back to KMR or just mix some more water in with the wet food to make it easier. I'm sure someone will be along shortly to give you a more informed opinion.

stormysmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your reply. We fed him a mixture of dry kibbles soaked in formula. He has put on a good amount of weight and is doing great. Tonight we found what we believe was his mom and four other kittens about his age. We were only able to catch three more of them though. The fourth was already too skiddish to come near.

There was one girl and two more boys. The girl is calico and there is another black boy with a white toe and a grey/brown tabby boy. They didnt resist at all when we caught them, no hissing or anything so I do believe they will be able to be pets. In any case I am happy we caught them because it is suposed to get down past freezing toward the end of this week. I hope the other little fella and his mom are alright through that.

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
awe at least they are doing great and it sounds like its all under control but I hope these little ones are ok with how the other boy was doing, and I hope the mama and the other baby ok, but if they were still with her than they might not be fully weaned but I hope it goes ok I never had to take care of stray kittens and when i got stormie she was already 10 weeks old lol but bella was about a year old too so i am sorry that I cant be much help, but I do hope that maybe you guys can get the mama and other baby soon before it gets too cold out side, and also like I said earlier from what I know it sounds like what you are doing great and you do have good results, now its time to go onto the rest and hope they do just as well !!! Keep us updated and I wish i could see pictures I got the little red ex GRRR lol so hopefully it will work later if there is a picture if not get some more up soon !!

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hope the other little fella and his mom are alright through that.
I would still try to trap mom so that she can be spayed. She may be more resourceful at finding a place to hide out throught the cold...but she definately deserves to be spayed.

Katie

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If hes only 4 weeks old (cant really tell from the pick) he really should be supplemented with KMR still. He would still be nursing from mom quite a bit. Best of luck to you.

ericanicole

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by 4crazycats

If hes only 4 weeks old (cant really tell from the pick) he really should be supplemented with KMR still. He would still be nursing from mom quite a bit. Best of luck to you.
we supplemented with KMR at 4 weeks too.
i would use it to make a paste by mashing up the dry kitten food.
stewie took a while to take to it and shortly after started right into dry food.
Now he eats ANYTHING!!!

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by EricaNicole

we supplemented with KMR at 4 weeks too.
i would use it to make a paste by mashing up the dry kitten food.
stewie took a while to take to it and shortly after started right into dry food.
Now he eats ANYTHING!!!
All my foster kittens are on KMR until they are at least 8 weeks old. Then after that they get what ever is left over.

stormysmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone,

I just thought I would send a quick update. The kittens are doing really well. We have kept them on kibble and formula and they are now fat and happy little ones. I estimate that they are now about seven weeks old and with no mother to teach them much more we have decided to start placing them in forever homes. They have taken well to the litter box and are VERY independent. They clean themselves really well and are drinking plain water. They have gotten used to dogs...(that was a must with our pack lol) no more hissing! The best thing though is that they are totally used to being handled and will even come to us for love and pets.

We got a glimpse of their mother again the other day and sadly I didnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t see the other kitten with her. I am really hoping that someone got a hold of him or he was in a safe warm place. With temperatures down in the 20s here recently though I am afraid that he probably didnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t make it. I will be working on the issue of trapping mom as soon as I find these little guys a home. I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t have much extra money but I will do what I can with what I have.

I will get some pics to post next time I update. The little Calico girl is totally tearing at my heart. I have nick named her Ferry because she is delicate like a little fairy but came to me as a feral kitten. I would keep her in a heart beat but my darling Stormy doesnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t care for her too much. Anything Ms. Stormy wants Ms. Stormy gets so that is that.