4 week old lifeless kitten

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mykifty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all!!!

Sorry for the delay in getting back in to update! I'm not offended at anyone at all. Very grateful for all the help support and kind words. A update, took Miracle to the vet today and the vet could not tell me what was wrong or why that happened. They said it could been her not going potty. I do know now she's 4 weeks old. That's it. Poor baby. She's alive she's well she's eating drinking playing. I'm so happy. I've done lots of research on how to take care of her but never would of been able to save her life if I didn't find this site. Thank you all. I'm a member for life now :-)

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hello all!!!

Sorry for the delay in getting back in to update! I'm not offended at anyone at all. Very grateful for all the help support and kind words. A update, took Miracle to the vet today and the vet could not tell me what was wrong or why that happened. They said it could been her not going potty. I do know now she's 4 weeks old. That's it. Poor baby. She's alive she's well she's eating drinking playing. I'm so happy. I've done lots of research on how to take care of her but never would of been able to save her life if I didn't find this site. Thank you all. I'm a member for life now :-)
That's GREAT news!!!!! Oh happy day!

I must admit I feared the worst. Just sounded very bad!

Not lifting her head even? Gosh.....

Well what a huge relief!! Thanks to @StephenQ  to save the day! (and kitty :)

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Miracle. What a beautiful and fitting name. Please keep us posted on her progress. I hope she'll continue doing well.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Good for little Miracle. I'm so glad to hear she is OK. I'm going to keep checking in to read how she is doing so keep us posted OK? And lots of pictures, we love pictures. 

How are her brothers and sisters doing? You said your friend was taking care of the other 3, is that right?

Hope the whole family are doing well, they were very lucky to be left on the doorstep of such a caring person.

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Congratulations! A stunning success! I think its fair to say that for everyone here at TCS, this was a big save and you get all the credit for giving this wonderful kitten a beautiful future.  You will never forget these past few days, and we look forward to you being a life long member of TCS!

ziggy'smom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had a very similar thing happen with a kitten years ago. She was about two weeks and just went limp after feeding. She had eaten a good amount but since she was still suckling I gave her a bit extra and after a while she just stopped moving. I tried all sorts of things and got no reaction at all. I of course freaked out and rushed her to the e-vet in my pajamas and slippers (quite a sight, I'm sure). The vet held her upside down, shook her a bit and tried to get a reaction from her. Nothing. The vet thought it was fading kitten syndrome but decided to give her some antibiotics anyway and told me to take her home and hope for the best. She wasn't hopeful. I took her home and put her back with her litter mates and waited. A couple of hours later she was sitting up, a bit later she was walking around and soon was back to normal.

I have no idea what happened. She was practically lifeless before and didn't even react when held dangling upside down. But she came around on her own and grew up to be a beautiful but tiny little girl who was eventually adopted. I suspect that the extra food I gave her may have caused her a bad stomach ache that for some reason caused the odd reaction. Maybe your kitten had a similar problem - a stomach ache from not pooping and getting relief made it better. Heck, when I'm in pain I don't feel like moving much either. I hope your kitten will be better from now on and this was just one of those weird things like I went through with my little one.

It's great that you're taking so good care of this kitten. However, I do think that kittens this young should never be separated from their litter mates unless absolutely necessary. She would do better with at least one of her litter mates. It's very important for her development.

Good luck with the little one!

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So glad to hear she's doing so well -- I've never NOT stimulated an orphan kitten and had no idea it might cause that sort of "all stopped up" reaction.  Usually if I am raising an orphan litter I have to be careful that littermates don't nurse on the little boy parts which to them can feel just like nursing on a nipple but can cuase swelling and irritation to the little boys  Also, I think when a litter is together even without a mom, just climbing over each other can sometimes stimulate them if they are needing to go, and this won't happen with an only kitten.  Now that the crisis is past, I did want to ask why you separated out just ONE kitten to raise.  Originally you said "she and four others were left in a box and my friend has the other three" so I thought you had TWO kittens (4 +1 = 5, your friend has 3, therefore you would have 2) but you haven't mentioned another kitten.  It would really be best to keep at least two together at each house if they cant' all be together.  They need each other for social interaction and learning. 

Last edited:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
. I'm so happy. I've done lots of research on how to take care of her but never would of been able to save her life if I didn't find this site. Thank you all. I'm a member for life now :-)
We are also happy that you found us !!!!!!!!!! Welcome. And, I am so very, very relieved to be reading on in posts to find out your kitten is alright. Wonderful news and want to add in my vibes for this to continue. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

Also some kitten care links that will be of great help to you and your kittens. You may want to pass along this information to your friend who has the other three kittens. Bless you for saving them !!! :hugs:

TCS Article http://www.thecatsite.com/a/hand-rearing-kittens

www.kitten-rescue.com

http://www.kittenrescue.org/index.php/cat-care/kitten-care-handbook/

http://www.hdw-inc.com/glop.htm

Last edited:

mykifty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone!! I just wanted to chime in and say my baby Miracle is doing GREAT. So healthy so perfect. She is just another one of my children now! Love her SO much. Her siblings are doing great as well. Just talked to my friend today. I again can't thank all of you enough for all your support and help.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hello everyone!! I just wanted to chime in and say my baby Miracle is doing GREAT. So healthy so perfect. She is just another one of my children now! Love her SO much. Her siblings are doing great as well. Just talked to my friend today. I again can't thank all of you enough for all your support and help.
The best news!! What a darling baby!! Very cute pics!

Good luck, glad you found this site too!

Oh, she can use an antibacterial eye ointment from a vet for her runny-ish eyes :) Easy fix.

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi @mykifty and welcome back! Did you see that this thread is now featured on the homepage of TCS?

@Red Top Rescue had a question for you in a previous post that you might have missed, I'm going to paste it in here.

Now that the crisis is past, I did want to ask why you separated out just ONE kitten to raise.  Originally you said "she and four others were left in a box and my friend has the other three" so I thought you had TWO kittens (4 +1 = 5, your friend has 3, therefore you would have 2) but you haven't mentioned another kitten.  It would really be best to keep at least two together at each house if they cant' all be together.  They need each other for social interaction and learning. 

Do you have new pictures of her that we could see?

mykifty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I sure did see that! Pretty cool!

Regarding the other kittens, I mentioned that in my last post. Sorry for the Math error!! There was a total 4 kittens that were left in a box. My friend rescued all 4 of them. I ended up with this one ( Miracle) because my friend called and asked me for help. This one was the smallest out of all of them, wanted to be fed every hour ( the others were only feeding every 4 hours) and my friend has a baby ( human) of her own. She asked me to take this little one because it required so much more attention. That's why I only took one. I'm also a mother of 4 kids, 2 are in cheer, 1 in gymnastics and the other in Baseball. That keeps my schedule very busy. Miracle goes everywhere with me. Including work. Now don't freak out, she not out to roam. She's in my lap where ever we go if we are not at home. She's very very well loved and very special to me. I mean very!!! I gave 2 other cats at home that are fully up to date on their shots as well. Miracle has met them several times and so far so good. So yes maybe I could have taken more or taken none either way Miracle is healthy happy and very loved!!!

I recently a few minutes ago put up 2 pictures of her!!! I hope you all seen them!!!!

Her siblings are doing great. No health issues at all. :-)

pangurban

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Love the pictures and the happy ending! I hope you will continue to post photos every few days or week. 

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I LOVE LOVE updates like this. Jumping for joy over the news. :jump: Keeping up the vibes for your little one to continue to thrive. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

Last edited: