4 week old kittens keep eating the litter, will they be okay?

Courtneymxo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, so my cats kittens are 4 weeks old now, some are using the litter tray and some are just jumping in and out and trying to eat it! They do spit it out but is this normal lol

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Yes, it's normal but it can be very dangerous. Make sure you are using a non-clumping kind of litter, the clumping kind will cause intestinal blockages and kittens can die from this. If possible get a litter that is made out of soy by-products as this won't do any harm even if they do swallow some.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Courtneymxo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, it's normal but it can be very dangerous. Make sure you are using a non-clumping kind of litter, the clumping kind will cause intestinal blockages and kittens can die from this. If possible get a litter that is made out of soy by-products as this won't do any harm even if they do swallow some.
Yes it's not a clumping one, it's just the white catsan one x

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If they are tasting litter, it’s time to introduce soft pate-style wet food to them on a flat plate, or dry kitten chow softened with water. They may be ready!

Courtneymxo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If they are tasting litter, it’s time to introduce soft pate-style wet food to them on a flat plate, or dry kitten chow softened with water. They may be ready!
I've tried the with wet food and dry both mixed with kitten milk and they are not interested yet and don't want to force them, I have been giving it in a a bowl tho and theh just chew the side of bowl

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds as though they do want to eat, but don't yet understand that the food they smell is not the bowl. Try putting the food on a small plate where it is close to the edge and easy to reach. You may have to actually put a little dab of the food on the outside of the kitten's upper lip. This isn't forcing, this is leading, big difference.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes you can lead them by feeding off your little fingertip. If they'll eat, keep doing it, drawing them closer each time until you can bump their head just a little so their chin goes in the food. They'll lick it off and that usually does it.

Be prepared for them to walk in the food, especially if using a flat plate. Kittens usually do at first. They'll get the hang of it.

Courtneymxo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sometimes you can lead them by feeding off your little fingertip. If they'll eat, keep doing it, drawing them closer each time until you can bump their head just a little so their chin goes in the food. They'll lick it off and that usually does it.

Be prepared for them to walk in the food, especially if using a flat plate. Kittens usually do at first. They'll get the hang of it.
Yeah I've done that and they do seem to eat off my finger but wouldn't out the bowl, so just didn't think they would be ready yet, yes they've done the walking in food and there mums water bowl already 😂