4 Week Old Kitten Help?? Am I Being Paranoid?!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
In dire necessity you can use just pedialyte but its the last line of defence

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I mean use pedialyte insted of plain water as long the kitten has diarrhea

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Unseasoned

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am really thankful she ate a substantial bit of sslurry.Good to know I can use Pedialyte to make the slurry. I will continue the goats milk tho, since it's a good alternative, and hopefully her poop will normalize. She doesn't seem to be in pain, so maybe it was just hunger. She looked a little sunken this morning, but I attributed it to her diarrhea. Sorry for the multiple posts
I'm only given an option to report my own posts, instead of editing.

Unseasoned

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So Pedialyte while she is runny, and plan water once we're in the clear. Will an empty stomach cause a kitten to have diarrhea? Kittens are /complicated

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ny, just an empty stomach doesnt not cause diarrhea. There must be something other too. But Im not medical expert, so I dont want to guess too much about medical things I dont know for sure. And thus, usually I do talk only about the practical home care.

Look, one of the standard methods to cure diarrhea, is begin with a period of non eating - 12 even 24 hours, to calm down the stomach, and first after it give an diarrhea antidote... I mean, hunger alone doenst cause diarrhea.

Unseasoned

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hopefully it won't come to that. I think she may have gone through the night without a meal, but can't be exactly for sure though. I know when i squeezed mom's teets, not a single drop was produced. I'm wondering if maybe mom's milk soured in the process of drying up.
I'll be able to judge better on my next step with her next bowel movement. I'm still setting her an appointment tomorrow. And as mean as it may seem, I'm not utilizing the emergency vet care here, seeing as their first go to is euthanasia. But her appetite is good, and she's not waking up with crying fits anymore. So it doesn't seem to be an emergency anyways. Thank you for the replies. You guys are most helpful

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like a parasite, perhaps coccidia, to me. She'll need vet treatment, if so.

Unseasoned

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No, not yet. But I suspect soon. She has begun to ignore the kitten. Is more interested in rushing to the kitchen when I go than continuing care for her baby.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Make sure the kitten is getting enough food. Take mom and kitten both to the vet appointment tomorrow.

Unseasoned

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For sure, and I hope they can see me as soon as tomorrow. It will more than likely be Tuesday, because we don't have many offices in town. They fill up pretty quickly

biancavd

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
No, not yet. But I suspect soon. She has begun to ignore the kitten. Is more interested in rushing to the kitchen when I go than continuing care for her baby.
Not very known by vets, but many breeders including myself have exoerienced extremely ill kittens due to heat in mom and them still drinking her milk. It doesnt always occur, but some females seem to have this effect on their babies due to the hormones released with heat.

If she is seemingly going into heat, my suggestion would be seperating the kitten from mom completely. Although the baby is still very young. You will need to supplement the little one and you can also increase the wetfood you are giving and start introducing kibbles.

The diarrhea she has now is an issue though. It has to stop asap. I suggest Finidiar. A probiotic which also stops diarrhea.

I also would suggest a vet checkup, as what happened to the sibblings isnt normal and she might have the same. It doesnt have to be the milk from mom causing the issues :(

Unseasoned

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I meant to expand on that. It has been a long night. I'm more fearful of a parasite or an infection passed on from mom, an infection that isn't making mom visibly sick. I'm not entirely sure what mom's end goal is with the mild interest in her kitten yesterday. She's lying with her and cleaning the kitten, though the kitten can't find anything to nurse. I am still able to get her to eat and even drink from a syringe, but it's the strangest thing. Within a few minutes of eating, she's sunken again. I slept for 2.5 hours, and in that time span I have Jo clue if she even went to the restroom. I know she peed on me moments ago while slurping away.

Unseasoned

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes!! Thank you for asking. I agree that baby and mom should be separated, even if she isn't in heat yet (it's only been a couple of days? Forgive me, I'm exhausted). saffrey was prescribed dewormer and antibiotics. I went and bought probiotics. Her appetite has increased and she is beginning to act like herself again.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Excellent! Perhaps mom will treat her kitten better now. Which antibiotic did they put her on?

Is the kitten doing well?

Unseasoned

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Albon 5% suspended solution

She's better than she was. She's back to exploring and perking up when we talk to her. I'm thinking she was wormy. Because now she is staying round like a kitten should be, instead of sinking in at the ribs moments after eating