4 Orphans Need Vet Care

Crystaltears83

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello there everyone. I don't like asking for help. The story of how I found these kittens can be found on my first post here.

(warning:possible Triggers) Confusing Orphans

I started a gofundme campaign to try to raise money to get these kittens to the vet and I didn't know how much to expect the vet to cost. I know it'll be more if they need expensive tests or procedures. Less if they are in good health. So I just set the goal for $500.

That seems like an astronomical amount to ask for but I've read that some blood tests can be as much as $400 and I don't know If I'll be charged per-cat or what. (I assume so if they all need tests like that.) If thats not enough I'll raise the goal.

If we meet or exceed that goal and the vet costs end up being less, any excess will be spent on the care of the kittens.

The list of things I am currently buying at a jaw-dropping rate are:

crate pads to help keep their carrier clean
Paper towels to keep their carrier clean
Wet wipes to spot-clean when they get poo/pee on themselves.
Formula/goats milk
High quality soft kitten food.

Naturally the more they grow the more they will eat. If you read my original post, you know that right now my situation is tough. I want to assure you that nothing you donate is for my personal benefit.

If it comes down to a chioce between me getting dinner or these babies getting 2-3 days worth of soft food. They win. Always. Every time. Thats as straight forward and as honest as I can make this request.

Wether you can help or not, I would like to sincerely thank you for taking the time to read this post and I wish many blessings to you and yours.
Check out the gofundme campaign here:
Click here to support Please, help us save these kittens? organized by Erin Roberts

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Crystaltears83

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also: If you can't help financially, you can help by sharing the story and the campaign anywhere you can think of (if it's appropriate) where others may be able to do the same.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Such cuties. AS @Sarthur2 mentioned in your other thread, you should post a link to THIS thread in your other thread, just as you linked your other thread to this one.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
MOD NOTE:

To all members, a reminder that it is your responsibility to check out these solicitations to the best of your ability. Thecatsite.com does not stand behind any solicitation of funds for any reasons that appear in the forums unless explicitly authorized.

Please note that this is a generic note added after all pleas for money.

Crystaltears83

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Such cuties. AS @Sarthur2 mentioned in your other thread, you should post a link to THIS thread in your other thread, just as you linked your other thread to this one.
Oh! Thats a good idea. I wasn't sure if I was allowed to post this link over there and didn't want to cause any issues. :) I'll do that now.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A good option for you might be to go to an animal shelter and see if you can register as a foster mom to the kittens. They would provide the food, litter or pee pads, and veterinary care. You would continue to bottle feed the kittens until they are 8 weeks or 2 pounds, and could be given to the shelter then for them to spay/neuter and adopt out to permanent homes.

...unless you planned to adopt them permanently yourself.

Crystaltears83

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We were thinking about the possibility of keeping them. We really would like to.

We're asking for help with vet costs and if there is enough donations, it would help with the maintenence items like the pads and paper towels etc.

Maybe its wrong to ask for help if we might (probably, most likely) end up keeping them... But this wasn't a planned adoption and I just could not stand by and let them be killed just because "there are too many strays"

Thats just crazy to me. So I understand if people disagree with me doing the gofundme for them. I'm not sure how I feel about it myself. But feelings aside, they need vet care regardless of who ends up giving them a forever home.

I dont know if I could become an official foster for them if I might choose to keep them. Also dont they do home visits to vet foster candidates?

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't disagree with you about starting the GoFundMe request. I was just offering what may be an alternative solution.

You didn't explain why you and your brother are living in your car (and that's none of our business), but whether your homelessness is expected to be short-term or if there is no end in sight should probably be factored into your decision about the feasibility of keeping 4 cats and a dog. I hope your situation is very short term.

Yes, shelters usually want to do a home visit, but during puppy and kitten season the county shelter here gets very lax and does not do them. They are the area "kill" shelter, but have not had to euthanize any healthy animals in about 8 years. They rely on fosters to keep animals alive, so their requirements aren't too tough at all. The "no-kill" SPCA is much tougher on their regulations, but they have a lot fewer animals moving through per year.

Wouldn't hurt to ask. They may give you vet care and supplies even if you were to decide to keep the kittens.

Crystaltears83

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't disagree with you about starting the GoFundMe request. I was just offering what may be an alternative solution.

You didn't explain why you and your brother are living in your car (and that's none of our business), but whether your homelessness is expected to be short-term or if there is no end in sight should probably be factored into your decision about the feasibility of keeping 4 cats and a dog. I hope your situation is very short term.

Yes, shelters usually want to do a home visit, but during puppy and kitten season the county shelter here gets very lax and does not do them. They are the area "kill" shelter, but have not had to euthanize any healthy animals in about 8 years. They rely on fosters to keep animals alive, so their requirements aren't too tough at all. The "no-kill" SPCA is much tougher on their regulations, but they have a lot fewer animals moving through per year.

Wouldn't hurt to ask. They may give you vet care and supplies even if you were to decide to keep the kittens.
Hey there! Thanks fir the suggestion. I'll check into it for sure.

I dont think I did explain why we're living in the car. But since I am asking for help here, I'll explain my situation. I didnt before mainly because homelessness comes with a huge stigma attatched to the word.

Most people think if you're homeless, you must be a drug addict, alcoholic, or a bum. Many people even think that "good, honest, NORMAL, hard-working people" do not end up homeless.

I am disabled and not formally educated. Mostly I am only qualified to do front desk work at hotels/motels (if I can find one that is hiring) and I have to work night shift. 1st and 2nd cause too much flair-up with my disabiliy as part of it is a strong social anxiety.

My monthly income is less than what an average middle-class person brings home per paycheck. So I live with my brother because even in income based housing, I just dont make enough to cover everything.

We had a 2 bedroom apartment and I had my own vehicle and my brother was at a job he'd worked for over 4 years.

My car broke down and we could not repair it. So my brother had to take a temporary leave so we could try to find another car so he could get to work and back. We have no connections to speak of in this town or nearby.

We have no other family nearby orher than our mother who is widowed an on a fixed income as well. We were on our own. We made a mistake.

We found a car that looked legitimate and appeared to be on the level. I even personally checked out the companies involved and all the support email addresses appeared legit.

We paid for it. The car was never delivered. All contact ceased. The companies that were impersonated were of no help. The money was gone.

My car was dead and gone. The money for the new car was stolen. My brother couldnt get to work. He lost his job. We lost our apartment. We were on the street.

Our mom is allowing us to camp in her car so ar least we have protection from the elements and a way to get to food and water and restrooms.

My brother has since gotten a new job and we are in the process of purchasing a large suburban that we have seen and checked out in person. Things are coming around. We are on our way back up onto our feet.

I'm currently in school myself working toward my vet tech associate degree online. So our situation will be resolved soon. Maybe not in two days, maybe not in a week, but it isn't a long term situation. Maybe nit exactly short-term? More like... medium-term situation. I guess would be most accurate.

So thats the whole story. I figure people deserve to know who and what they may be helping and why. :)