4 month old kitten pregnant???

Adrieemarie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a 4 month old kitten and found 3/4 month old male about 2 weeks ago I was told by many vets in town they wait until the female/ male to get closer to 6 months old before I can get them fix and I should be safe on pregnancy. I thought she went into heat a few weeks ago, But the last few days my female has change her habits she hungry more like she’s always eating I keep dry food out and feed them wet 3 times a day, she’s more lovable lately and sometimes gets mad at my male when he starts to get to rough with her hisses at him and growls, she has started to come to me and lay in my lap or on my chest for comfort. Idk, her nipples have gotten larger more pronounced.
12DBBE78-E268-4301-A936-523B891B96B2.jpeg

Attachments

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
4 months old is a bit young to get pregnant, but it's not impossible. I've known five month old females to get pregnant.

Is the 4 month old male the only intact tom cat she has been around?

Having kittens that young is obviously not the best thing for her. As she hasn't reached maturity yet she could have a lot of problems with the delivery and with raising the kittens. It is still possible to spay her now, even if she has already mated. I know it's not the kind of thing anyone wants to do, but I just wanted to throw that out there so you know your options.

This article might help.

How To Tell If My Cat Is Pregnant? – Cat Articles

Please keep us posted.

:crossfingers:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Adrieemarie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My male is the only male she been around, and your right it’s not really safe to have kittens that young the vets around here won’t spay her now I have called by the time she has all shots needed she’ll be 6 months or so. They want her to have 5 sets of them. I planned to have both my kitten fixed I honestly don’t want babies. I called one of the vets and they told me to wait 2 weeks to see if she still have these changes and make an appointment. I am in contact with a kitten rescue women and she told me she’ll take a look at her Tuesday. My female came to me at a rough time in my life I found her the day after my miscarriage she was barely 2/3 weeks old. So I definitely don’t want anything to happened to her, I was reading during her heat cycle her nipples can enlarge a few minutes ago so maybe it’s nothing just me freaking out. In a couple of weeks I’ll know for sure she has an appointment January 3rd for her 3rd set of shots

Adrieemarie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Btw not sure if it’s too late but I do keep them separated unless I’m watching them play but now at night or when I’m not home I take turns to keep them in my bedroom. At least until we are out of the woods. Until I find out

Adrieemarie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think my female who is 4/5 months old may be pregnant can my 4 month old kitten get her pregnant she was in heat but I was told he should be good until he is 6 months old

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
They don't need all their shots before they are spayed. Try calling some spay and neuter clinics that will treat feral cats. Feral cats usually get spayed/neutered, blood tested and vaccinated all at the same time.

As long as she weighs more than 1 kilo it's safe to spay her. Cheaper clinics in your area might do a package where you can get he male fixed at the same time. Maybe the lady who does kitten rescue can suggest somewhere.

Yes, keeping them apart is a good idea until you know they've both been fixed.

That's really sad about your miscarriage, I'm sorry for your loss.

:hugs:

Adrieemarie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thank you, I’ll call around tomorrow again. We have a lot of shorty vets here and very few that are good but pricey and I did find a vet that would fix my male at 4/5 months but he has to get his shots too. They would do everything the same day but it’s $356 dollars that I don’t have. But he has an appointment for his first shots after Christmas January 3rd with my girly since we found him didn’t plan on keeping him until recently, this other vet charges $36 for first shots were the other vet charges $97 for first visit and shots. I’m not working and Christmas and my doctors appointments are costly. I haven’t found clinics like that in my town the closest is 4 hours away. I’m really hoping it’s just still her heat cycle but I don’t know if they last 3 weeks. I cannot terminate the pregnancy but if it’s best for her when she does go to vet I will. She means a lot to me. One vet thinks she’s 6 months and the new vet told me she’s 4 months she’s a long cat with a long tail she’s also skinny even with as much as she eats but she’s round were most pregnant are.

Adrieemarie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’m in Texas. Small town.

Adrieemarie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you, me too! I’ll find out in 2 weeks.

Adrieemarie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I checked her belly today and it harder a slightly bigger but my mom says it’s probably her heat.

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
inside of your imagination and/or smartphone app
First of all, I am so sorry for your loss. This must be very triggering for you. I wanted to emphasize that this is not a judgemental or "cliquey" site and we will respect whatever decision you make if your little girl is pregnant. Cats' reproduction is affected by the seasons, so you get a bit more wiggle room depending on when your cat is born but I believe the general rule of thumb (with many exceptions) is to spay by five months if you are absolutely unprepared and unable to handle a heat cycle.

My vet recommends 6-8 months. She does laproscopies and I'm sure they're worth every penny, I just don't have it.

The clinic where Willow had her surgery this morning recommends pediatric spay at 8-12 weeks or whenever the kitten is big enough to weigh 2 lbs. That's the other extreme and they didn't give me that much grief about being conservative. If you don't need the low income voucher, you can pay full price and/or make a donation to the clinic.

Regardless of your finances, this might be a good choice for your little girl because they have so much experience with the possible complications of spaying her while pregnant. It's not an ideal time for the surgery, but it can and is done and most of the time it's no big deal.

Nobody is going to judge a loss mom who can't make that decision. It isn't ideal for teenagers to have babies either, but my Wallaby couldn't possibly have been much older than your girl when she had her incestuous litter in the Mercury Comet Capri we were living in during the early '80s. She lived a long and happy life.

Adrieemarie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’m scared for her, and it wasn’t plan to have her but I can’t think of anything but making sure she is healthy and cared for, there is so many signs for both heat and pregnancy. Her belly dropped today and is harder then it was yesterday. I did call today about getting her seen she has an appointment with a different vet who will probably spay her if she’s not pregnant and talk about if the pregnancy will harm her this young. He told in that week they can get her in if that’s what we decide. But every vet I called told me the same thing if I worked for a rescue it’s a different story.

Attachments

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do they both have their adult fangs (canine teeth)? In females, that's a good sign she's about to become fertile, but males usually develop a bit later. It would be rare for a male to be fertile at that age, but it is possible. Although she wouldn't be very far along at this point, so I don't know if you'd be seeing signs of pregnancy yet. So hopefully she's just going into heat.

Ugh, I wish vets didn't insist on waiting to spay/neuter cats. It causes a lot of unwanted pregnancies. It seems to only be the older vets---all the young vets learned to do pediatric spays. So hopefully as the older ones retire it won't happen as often.

Adrieemarie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah the ones I have called around would only do them at 6 months.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Yeah the ones I have called around would only do them at 6 months.
It is kind of difficult for a vet to tell the difference between a small six month old and a large five month old kitten. They usually weigh them, to make sure they are over 1 kilo and go by that. If she's mature enough to have a heat cycle she could pass as a six month old. If you're really concerned about getting her spayed ASAP a little white lie wouldn't hurt.

:angel3:

Adrieemarie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I found a vet who would do it before I just have to wait for money it’s $190. I don’t have at the moment I took her to the vet yesterday Found someone who would do it for free. he said he’s not sure about her being pregnant yet. She does feel pregnant but her belly isn’t as big as it should be she may just be in a longer heat cycle. Idk. He was in training at the animal clinic. I was confused. He told to go back in 2 weeks but she has a appointment with another vet for shots on the 3rd