4-month Old Kitten Help

kittencat123

Cat Lover/ Gamer
Kitten
Purraise
My kitten Princess "Leana" Marble keeps going in my grandparent's room. My grandfather is allergic to cats, and we have a dog. Sasha the dog tries to bite Leana's tail, because Sasha snaps her snout when she wants to play. How can I give the cat and the dog safe free roam of the house? We have a kitchen, living room, basement, two bedrooms, one extra room, two bathrooms, and a hallway.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittencat123

Cat Lover/ Gamer
Kitten
Purraise
The hallway has one bathroom, two bedrooms, and the extra room.

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to the forum kittencat123. Your question is rather tricky. Could you give more information about the situation in your home? Is your allergic grandfather permanently in his room? Is there somebody always present in the house? Are the pets's actions you describe playfulness or real aggressions? Is Leana an inside cat? Has she been spayed?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Your kitten does not need whole house access yet. Limit her to the main floor, but not the basement.

I suggest closing the door of your grandfather’s room for now. Let it be off limits to the kitten.

If your dog is not hurting the kitten, let them work out their play issues themselves, but keep an eye iut.

kittencat123

Cat Lover/ Gamer
Kitten
Purraise
Welcome to the forum kittencat123. Your question is rather tricky. Could you give more information about the situation in your home? Is your allergic grandfather permanently in his room? Is there somebody always present in the house? Are the pets's actions you describe playfulness or real aggressions? Is Leana an inside cat? Has she been spayed?
Playfulness. My Grandfather is only mildly allergic, and he's out. She is an indoor cat, and sometimes we all go out as a family. I don't know if they spayed her, she's only 4-5 months.

kittencat123

Cat Lover/ Gamer
Kitten
Purraise
Your kitten does not need whole house access yet. Limit her to the main floor, but not the basement.

I suggest closing the door of your grandfather’s room for now. Let it be off limits to the kitten.

If your dog is not hurting the kitten, let them work out their play issues themselves, but keep an eye out.
Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Where did you get the kitten? It's important to make sure she is spayed in the next month or so. Has she had her vaccines?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree that the kitten should be spayed and vaccinated right away. Kittens can go into heat as young as 4 months old. Can you get her to a clinic?

kittencat123

Cat Lover/ Gamer
Kitten
Purraise
I agree that the kitten should be spayed and vaccinated right away. Kittens can go into heat as young as 4 months old. Can you get her to a clinic?
I got her at petsmart. we plan to spay her. Will her cute playfulness go away if we spay and vaccinate her? And why should she be spayed if we only have one cat?

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I got her at petsmart. we plan to spay her. Will her cute playfulness go away if we spay and vaccinate her? And why should she be spayed if we only have one cat?
Your kitten will be just as cute and playful after she gets her vaccines and gets spayed -- and in fact, since she'll be healthier, you'll be able to enjoy her more!

Vaccines prevent several serious and potentially fatal diseases, including feline leukemia and rabies (which indoor cats can get if they get out by accident or if another animal gets in).

Spaying not only prevents pregnancy (which can occur if the cat gets out by accident), but also reduces the chances of cancer and pyometra (an infection of the uterus) and eliminates the unpleasant side effects of going into heat, such as yowling and attempting to escape the house.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Spaying and full vaccinations are critical to your cat’s health, and to responsible cat ownership.

You should call the shelter attached to the petsmart you got her from to find out what has already been done. She may be already be spayed and vaccinated.

kittencat123

Cat Lover/ Gamer
Kitten
Purraise
Your kitten will be just as cute and playful after she gets her vaccines and gets spayed -- and in fact, since she'll be healthier, you'll be able to enjoy her more!

Vaccines prevent several serious and potentially fatal diseases, including feline leukemia and rabies (which indoor cats can get if they get out by accident or if another animal gets in).

Spaying not only prevents pregnancy (which can occur if the cat gets out by accident), but also reduces the chances of cancer and pyometra (an infection of the uterus) and eliminates the unpleasant side effects of going into heat, such as yowling and attempting to escape the house.
I just learned that she already is spayed and vaccinated.

kittencat123

Cat Lover/ Gamer
Kitten
Purraise
Anyway I have to go I have school *Sigh* I wins I could have more time with Leana :'(
:(

Last edited by a moderator:

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats even kittens need to sleep a lot. With luck she'll spend most of your school hours asleep and be ready to play when you return. Playing with a cat who wants to sleep can be painful. ;)

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site, K kittencat123 ! Do you have a smartphone? If so, please take a photo of Leana (love her name) & post it here. Are you the primary caregiver for the kitten? Do you feed her, clean the litter box, etc or do your parents do that? I'm trying to determine if you are the mama cat, or if Leana is your kitty sibling.