4 Day Old Runt Kitten Not Looking Too Good. Help Please?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Blckkatlover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you smeared the honey water on the gums? If you are able to get a weight that would be really helpful
I wasn't able to get any honey and I don't have a way to weigh her :/

Blckkatlover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What does it mean when my mother cat keeps sitting or laying on top of the little one? Is she ignoring it?

Blckkatlover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: my aunt who is a vet said that it sounds like she's not gonna make it.. She days runts usually don't make it

GlitterKittie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: my aunt who is a vet said that it sounds like she's not gonna make it.. She days runts usually don't make it
The cat in my profile is proof that they can with the right input. That said if there is something congenitally wrong with the kitten which means it can’t sustain life there is little that can be done. It is always worth the try though

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Kittens whom had / have a momma, are usually reluctant to a bottle. She may also be a weak suckler. In all such cases its easier with a dropper or a tiny syringe of 1-1,5 ml.

It may still be frustrating. Some kittens seems to refuse to be saved... Still, usually when you and she becomes used, it calms down.

You may be helped by wrapping up the kitten in a little towel. Easier to hold and the kitten cant wriggle so much.
B Blckkatlover

GlitterKittie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If the Mama cat senses that the kitten is not one that can make it she might just leave it to one side in the nest, put it somewhere outside of the nest (under a bed) or ease its passing. She could be laying on it to hurry it’s passing or to warm it up

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yay okay. Should I mix it pedialyte or is it fine by itself?
If left alone, yeah, they often dont make it. But if the caretaker vigorously steps in, they can usually be saved, unless there is some big fault on them.

Many owners dont step in! Most of the people coming to this forum are these concerned, whom want advices how to help, how to fight.
But many cat owners dont do it. They "let nature take it course". Or they help very clumsily... Or they perhaps try with taking the kitten to a vet. But many vets dont know much about how to help weak kittens. they perhaps advice to pts. and thus they never become experienced in life saving. They are good with helping these with clearly visible diseases or wounds, but dont know much about these just weak.
So a seasoned rescuer or a good forum as ours, are very often the best bet with a weak kitten.

A typical runt isnt born, he is created. If there are more than a few kittens, they fight for the nipples, and push away the weakest. The weakest struggles, but gets more and more tired, becomes the runt, and perhaps even ceases to struggle. Death comes soon after.

If the owner doesnt want to bother and handfeed, he can always try with letting the runt nurse alone when the siblings are sleeping their midday.

In a big litter rotate; half on half off sleeping in a little extra nest with a heating pad as company.

All that said; as the kitten fights on, and momma is very interested, I do have good hope. Because Cat mommas are often doing triage: If a kitten is dying they abandon it or even carry away, to give all her energhy to those whom are still alive and may make it.

On the other hand, what you earlier described as the problems with breathing, it sounds worrying.
IF the kittens dies, it will be from this.

With the laying on, probably she tries to warm it extra. Or it happens her position is uncomfortable.
That said, I have met examples when momma did euthanasia with such a laying on and suffocating a sick kitten in purpose...

Pray and fight on!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If you can use a syringe to feed make sure the kitten is warm before attempting to feed
Yes. If the kitten isnt warm you can try with with pedialyte or honey water as mentioned earlier. Or with a kitten you suspect is dying.
It will always buy you some time.
These fluids doesnt need to be digested, glucose sugar in them comes into the body already in mouth and all intestines.

While kmr or goats milk needs to be digested, so the kitten must be warm enough. Digestation doesnt work properly in a cold kitten. And if the kitten is dying, the digestion stops too...

Blckkatlover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes. If the kitten isnt warm you can try with with pedialyte or honey water as mentioned earlier. Or with a kitten you suspect is dying.
It will always buy you some time.
These fluids doesnt need to be digested, glucose sugar in them comes into the body already in mouth and all intestines.

While kmr or goats milk needs to be digested, so the kitten must be warm enough. Digestation doesnt work properly in a cold kitten. And if the kitten is dying, the digestion stops too...
If left alone, yeah, they often dont make it. But if the caretaker vigorously steps in, they can usually be saved, unless there is some big fault on them.

Many owners dont step in! Most of the people coming to this forum are these concerned, whom want advices how to help, how to fight.
But many cat owners dont do it. They "let nature take it course". Or they help very clumsily... Or they perhaps try with taking the kitten to a vet. But many vets dont know much about how to help weak kittens. they perhaps advice to pts. and thus they never become experienced in life saving. They are good with helping these with clearly visible diseases or wounds, but dont know much about these just weak.
So a seasoned rescuer or a good forum as ours, are very often the best bet with a weak kitten.

A typical runt isnt born, he is created. If there are more than a few kittens, they fight for the nipples, and push away the weakest. The weakest struggles, but gets more and more tired, becomes the runt, and perhaps even ceases to struggle. Death comes soon after.

If the owner doesnt want to bother and handfeed, he can always try with letting the runt nurse alone when the siblings are sleeping their midday.

In a big litter rotate; half on half off sleeping in a little extra nest with a heating pad as company.

All that said; as the kitten fights on, and momma is very interested, I do have good hope. Because Cat mommas are often doing triage: If a kitten is dying they abandon it or even carry away, to give all her energhy to those whom are still alive and may make it.

On the other hand, what you earlier described as the problems with breathing, it sounds worrying.
IF the kittens dies, it will be from this.

With the laying on, probably she tries to warm it extra. Or it happens her position is uncomfortable.
That said, I have met examples when momma did euthanasia with such a laying on and suffocating a sick kitten in purpose...

Pray and fight on!
Thank you all so much for all of the information, I will take everything into consideration. And I will try to get some honey from the dollar store when it opens

Blckkatlover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: The biggest of the litter finally decided to start feeding again and she was able to get some milk flowing. I let her feed for a little bit then I moved her because the littlest was trying to latch on. She latched on and started suckling right away. I tested the nipple a little bit beforehand and I was able to squeeze a little out as well. The little one fell asleep eating the first time so I moved her to the heated part of the box. She woke up and started whining again so I put her back on the nipple and she ate a little more before moving back to the heating pad. The teets next to her hind legs seem to be the only ones with any milk. Why is that?

Blckkatlover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
These teats tends to be the best.

Good you found a working solution!

One idea is you supplent the biggest and let the runt get maximum from momma.
She's not wanting to latch on. I think she only tends to latch on when she's absolutely starving. Other than that she just lays in the corner of the box away from the rest. The kittens also seem to really hate the formula my mom got. Would it be wise to maybe add a little sugar to sweeten it up a bit?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She's not wanting to latch on. I think she only tends to latch on when she's absolutely starving. Other than that she just lays in the corner of the box away from the rest. The kittens also seem to really hate the formula my mom got. Would it be wise to maybe add a little sugar to sweeten it up a bit?
Yes add a drop of white caro syrup or honey. It gives quick energhy too.

Blckkatlover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Bad news everyone, the little one has died... I did the best I could do with the limited resources I had, I hope she's in a better place.
R.I.P Chibi

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Im deeply sorry. RIP Chibi.

And you? Now you do have some useful knowledge, IF there comes another such necessity to help out a weak kitten.
Chibi´s death wont be in wain.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m so sorry to hear this.

How are the other kittens and mom doing? Do you have a way to weigh them now?

And do you have plans to spay mom in a few months? We can help you to find a low cost clinic in your area if you need.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some times it seems we aren't meant to win. But in 'loosing' we may really be winning. There is no way to know what congenital problems little Chibi was carrying. This may well have been the easiest and kindest way for him to make the transformation. While waiting for his time, you did everything you could to make him comfortable. Love is never wasted, surrounding Chibi with your love eased his short life and his passing. That same love for him, brought comfort to his mother and will continue to do so. Playing now with his little siblings who never took a breath, he watches you and his mother and the ones left with you. This little family will stay with you now and forever.

Blckkatlover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m so sorry to hear this.

How are the other kittens and mom doing? Do you have a way to weigh them now?

And do you have plans to spay mom in a few months? We can help you to find a low cost clinic in your area if you need.
Mom and the remaining 2 babies are doing well. I don't have a scale but I pick them up once or twice a day and they seem to be getting chubbier, their fur is really soft and fluffy and their bellies are perfectly plump lol. Mom seems a bit depressed but she can't really pout for long because the little ones are definitely keeping her distracted. And yes I do have plans to get her, along with her kitties spayed and neutered as soon as possible. I have been looking at a few places but I'd still appreciate some recommendations. I'm in St.Louis Missouri