4 Day Old Neonate In Crisis - Pooping Formula Just As Soon As Eaten

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:help: This problem is a first for me! As the title says, this tiny neonate has been pooping her formula. This started about 3 hours ago. I am going to switch her to Pedialyte and karo syrup until I can speak to the vet - her checkup is not until 4:30 p.m. as the vet is solo this week because the VT is out of town for Continuing Education. Several hours before that, she ate very well, although since yesterday she had been fussing at the nipple (mini Miracle nipple as well as a conventional bottle nipple) and was not suckling, just drinking (I am syringe feeding). Her weight is very poor (fluctuating from 3.2 - 3.4 ounces); she had a rough start - her litter of 4 was abandoned, just born, placentas still attached and babies uncleaned; the finder left the babies out all day, hoping the mother would return and did not call me until after dark and predators (probably raccoons) had partly eaten one kitten, one is missing, one died in my care 30 hours later, succumbing to abdominal injury from a bite...so now I have the one. She had been doing well the first 48 hours but on Saturday began being fussy at meal time although she was sleeping well and pee/poop was good.I began syringe feeding in small but frequent increments until she would fall asleep. Early Monday morning, she had that dehydrated look about her so I added Pedialyte 50/50 dilution as part of her meal. Later on, her umbilical cord (it hasn't fallen off yet, which was why I made the vet appointment) got caught on her swaddling cloth and a couple of hours later, it looked like a scab had formed at the navel. I treated it with an antiseptic wash and called the vet. The vet gave me some Biomoxx to treat her with and I did give her some but only after 2 hours of this pooping her formula (she was frantic when she is eating - I tried letting her suckle on my hand as she had been doing the past couple of days, but she was determined to have formula. ) Other than this serious digestive issue, she has been doing well, considering her small size and failure to gain substantial weight; her ears are working already and when she hears family speaking to me, she sniffs the air. She is crawling surprisingly well and has a good righting reflex.
Any ideas? thoughts? suggestions??? :please:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Gracious sakes what a situation!
Can you rub some honey (maybe diluted in a little warm water to make it easier?) on her gums to try and get some nutrients into her that will stay in?
Not sure if this is of any help but maybe dipping a corner of a clean makeup sponge into the milk would work?

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What formula do you use?
Perhaps a couple of drops of simethicone could help some...

Otherwise, I agree with you to pause the formula and proceed on pedialyte + karo.
She will not grow on it, but will survive on it even several days.
And it will give time for her intestines to heal, as its very mild.

Btw, you being often a rescuer, it would pay off to you if you got hold of real glucose sugar. buy online if its difficult to find in USA....
You wouldnt not need jury rig with karo or honey...

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:help: This problem is a first for me! As the title says, this tiny neonate has been pooping her formula. This started about 3 hours ago. I am going to switch her to Pedialyte and karo syrup until I can speak to the vet - her checkup is not until 4:30 p.m. as the vet is solo this week because the VT is out of town for Continuing Education. Several hours before that, she ate very well, although since yesterday she had been fussing at the nipple (mini Miracle nipple as well as a conventional bottle nipple) and was not suckling, just drinking (I am syringe feeding). Her weight is very poor (fluctuating from 3.2 - 3.4 ounces); she had a rough start - her litter of 4 was abandoned, just born, placentas still attached and babies uncleaned; the finder left the babies out all day, hoping the mother would return and did not call me until after dark and predators (probably raccoons) had partly eaten one kitten, one is missing, one died in my care 30 hours later, succumbing to abdominal injury from a bite...so now I have the one. She had been doing well the first 48 hours but on Saturday began being fussy at meal time although she was sleeping well and pee/poop was good.I began syringe feeding in small but frequent increments until she would fall asleep. Early Monday morning, she had that dehydrated look about her so I added Pedialyte 50/50 dilution as part of her meal. Later on, her umbilical cord (it hasn't fallen off yet, which was why I made the vet appointment) got caught on her swaddling cloth and a couple of hours later, it looked like a scab had formed at the navel. I treated it with an antiseptic wash and called the vet. The vet gave me some Biomoxx to treat her with and I did give her some but only after 2 hours of this pooping her formula (she was frantic when she is eating - I tried letting her suckle on my hand as she had been doing the past couple of days, but she was determined to have formula. ) Other than this serious digestive issue, she has been doing well, considering her small size and failure to gain substantial weight; her ears are working already and when she hears family speaking to me, she sniffs the air. She is crawling surprisingly well and has a good righting reflex.
Any ideas? thoughts? suggestions??? :please:
Bless you for caring for the little one. Have you considered full fat goats milk?

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't have a good feeling about the outcome for this baby, I'm sorry to say. I could be wrong too, but whoever spotted them the first day and left cold and without milk for so long would have unintentionally sealed their fate.
It would not be unusual for the baby to hang in there for a couple days either before that first day trauma caught up to it....

Hope I'm wrong! Let us know.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for the suggestions!
StefanZ StefanZ - yes, the karo, the pedialyte and the simethecone are helping. I need to try finding that glucose sugar, too.
@ Furballsmom - I will look into honey.
zed xyzed zed xyzed - I am using powdered whole goat milk until the Breeder's Edge arrives.
W Willowy - do you have a suggestion on the enzymes, that I can present to the vet? we are in a small rural area so we aren't as up to speed in some areas of nutrition. I ordered BeneBac online and it is due tomorrow. I think that Breeders Edge has enzymes.
catwoman707 catwoman707 - yes, you are correct in your assessment of the situation. I was caught unprepared this time - the kittens were so chilled when I got them. I have VERY limited success with ones so new & so chilled. But one of my successes was a little guy named Trucker whom I found with siblings under a bush in a spring snowstorm. I believe that prayers brought Trucker through and if this little one makes it, it will be an answer to prayers as well.
The vet visit went better than I expected. There were signs of bile in her poop but she is alert and not dehydrated. But we all know how tinies can quickly change their status.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
catsknowme You know me well enough to know that giving up is never an option, and clearly you are giving it all you've got.
My posts sound rather grim at times but I have seen so much I just hate to give false hopes. A situation like this is not a good one.
The fact is, whether this baby makes it or not, you show love and care, this tiny life has worth and meaning, and will not be going out laying on the ground cold and alone. A thousand positive vibes sent.

:vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
catwoman707 catwoman707 .... :hugs: ! Thank you! yes, I have seen a lot of heartache & after posting in my local social media searching for goat milk and/or a nursing mama kitty, I realize how naive other people can be - the majority of answers were that I should surrender the tiny to our local Animal Control! the local assumption is that now that we have a cat fosterer, all kittens are happily raised; they don't realize that the foster was given 4 neonates when AC caught the mom & babies - the babies were removed and put into foster but the mom was spayed and released. 3 of the 4 have already died BUT "protocol, you know" :argh::bawling2:
....Protocol is what motivates me to keep acting on my own - I retain the freedom to do what is best for the cats & kittens.
The latest feeds have been encouraging. Her poop is back to yellow although it is still "curdlike". The simethicone seems to really help. She is sleeping well but I have had to extend feeding sessions and shorten intervals. Also, I must keep doses of acidophilus spread apart from the Biomoxx.
And yes, this precious tiny life is as important to Heaven as any else. She loves having her toe beans rubbed, she's purring well with her rumbly, gravelly sounding purr, especially for scritches along her neck, sides and back. When I speak to her, her little ears perk up. I keep her in ski caps with washcloths and a heated rice sock, whether she is in her covered box (also lined with a heated corn grits sock) on a heated pet pad on an easy chair next to the couch where I sleep, or snuggling on my tummy, chest or neck.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She loves having her toe beans rubbed, she's purring well with her rumbly, gravelly sounding purr, especially for scritches along her neck, sides and back. When I speak to her, her little ears perk up. I keep her in ski caps with washcloths and a heated rice sock, whether she is in her covered box (also lined with a heated corn grits sock) on a heated pet pad on an easy chair next to the couch where I sleep, o
Out of all the people in this old world, I'm glad she is with you :)

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so glad she is still with you.
Part of her unseen issue will be an extreme intestinal imbalance, caused by the state of cold/starvation before getting her, then whether her tiny brand new organs were in a state of fully functioning after that trauma and able to digest the milk given then. If not in full mode then the milk would not be immediately digested and grows bacteria, which she is too young to survive.
How long after she eats does she poop now?
It's always amazed me how very fragile they are, yet the feisties can sometimes miraculously pull through......
I certainly hope she is one, if she is not and the care is only able to prolong the inevitable, at least it's bought time to give more love. :hearthrob::hearthrob::hearthrob::hearthrob::hearthrob::hearthrob::hearthrob:
By the way, have I told you lately...:rock:

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The digestive issues are of primary concern at this time. If she each too much as once, the poop is simultaneous. The delivery of Breeder's Edge has been pushed back to Friday - I have L-lysine and probiotics on hand but I need to balance that with the Biomoxx.
Her rear was raw so the vet set home a cortisone/antibiotic/pain relief cream. But i am afraid that it would hurt her so am washing with slippery elm decoction and then applying coconut oil. the result is fantastic!!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you, all! Our fellow member Burrgandy lost her dear Sasha to FKD this past December and is hoping to welcome this kitten into her home. Baby Bella already has a place in her heart - it was to Burrgandy's home that I took the kittens on the evening that I got them. I was unable to use the finder's place for urgent emergency care & Burrgandy's place was only 8 miles away, as opposed to 22 miles from my home. i had brought warm karo syrup, warm rice socks and warm corn grits socks with me but the babies were ice cold and very feeble. Those first few hours were a scramble - warming must be done very slowly and for any lurkers reading this, please realize that the digestive systems of chilled kittens are NOT functioning (our member Hissy's website www.kitten-rescue .com has valued guidance for such emergencies).

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
... warming must be done very slowly and for any lurkers reading this, please realize that the digestive systems of chilled kittens are NOT functioning (our member Hissy's website www.kitten-rescue .com has valued guidance for such emergencies).
Right, so no feeding to chilled out kittens. The trick is to give pedialyte, or smear on karo or honey water solution om their lips and gum.
Glucose sugar in them doesnt need to be digested, goes directly into blood already from the mouth.

Similiar advice for cats or dogs rescued from starvation.

Begin with these glucose treatment, be sure they are warm and cozy, and as next step give easy digested food in small portions.
Pedialyte is good, so is goats milk as excellent fluids.