4 cats and a dog :(

mark from wis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

We now have 2 ten year old cats and a 9 year old lab.  Our daughter is temporarily changing apartments and has asked us if her 2 cats can stay with us for 6 months or so.  Her cats are younger and totally "inside" cats.  Ours are "inside/outside" cats.  If we were to agree to do this, what kind of reactions can we expect between 4 cats and a dog?
Mark from Wisconsin

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It depends on how social the cats are.  Keep them separated for a couple of weeks and introduce them slowly.  Expect some hissing, growling and swatting at eachother.  Cats have to establish a hierarchy.  As for the dog, I would wait on that for some time.  It could be too stressful for you and them to introduce them all at once.  And the dog might take a little longer depending on if they have any prior experience with dogs. 

You can maybe entice with treats and see if that helps with the introductions.  A lot of people have bigger success with food introductions than going in without anything. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mark from wis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the reply.  I've heard horror stories about cats urinating everywhere when a new cat is introduced into a household.  I think we better find another solution.

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't let other's "horror stories" discourage you.  It can work.  It just takes patience and knowing what you are doing and what to expect.  Beforehand, you can put feliway diffusers all through the house.  (You can't smell anything.)  It helps calm cats.  As for the inappropriate urination.  Those are in extreme cases mostly.  And as long as you have enough litterboxes for everyone (at least one per cat) you should be fine.  Just introduce slowly, don't expect too much too soon and be patient. 

However, if you don't feel you could do this, you know best so finding another solution is best for everyone.  Then there is no resentment on anyone elses part because something happened or didn't go well. 

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have 7 cats of my own & a little dog. My sister was unable to keep her cats due to life circumstances & I agreed to take them in. Her two cats are Siamese brothers who are vocal, not overly fond of other animals on their turf, and had a history of 'out of the box' moments when it comes to the litterbox. I was very nervous, to say the least!

Months later - we all get along fairly decent, no major 'out of the box' moments. So it can be done - just go slow, set up the new kitties in a room w/ all the supplies. Give them a few weeks to settle in, then slowly introduce them to the resident cats & dog.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mark from wis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the reply.  If we can't find another solution, we'll have to give this a try.