4.5 month old kitty had FIP

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jraymond

KittKatt - do you know what the difference between the wet and dry form of FIP are? I tried to find out as much information about it before when Jasper was alive but it was too late to do anything plus I just became sick to my stomach anytime I read anything about FIP before he was put down. My husband and I even tried to ask our friends who were also vets in another city about FIP and they said there wasn't much that could be done about it, especially at Jasper's age. Looking back at photos of Jasper, he wasn't well at all. He was very thin - in the week before he was put down, I could really feel his spine and it got worse everyday... less eating and more weight he took off. I'm just happy we were able to give him a great chance at life for that one month he was with us.
He deserved it! We even told him if he made it through that, we'd feed him tuna every day if that's what it took.
I can't really offer anymore advice than the others have given, Jraymond. There's so much controversy regarding FIP, and there's really no definitive diagnosis till after the cat has died and they do an autopsy. I do know that the wet form is fatal, but the dry form can sometimes be treated. Before my two babies were put on the Interferon, they would develop coughing spells and fluid in the lungs, which, at first, could be cleared up with antibiotics. After awhile, the antiobiotics weren't helping them any, and my vet put them on the Interferon. They still occasionally have an attack, but they're not as severe and don't last very long.

If you google FIP, you'll come across quite a bit of info. But unfortunately, it's not very helpful because FIP is still a big mystery. I wish I could be of more help.

I know it's not much consolation, but at least you know Jasper's at peace now. I know how much it hurts, because I just had to have my beloved "soulmate" kitty put to sleep after having him for 15 years. It tore my heart out, but at least I know he's not hurting anymore.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jraymond

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I wasn't really able to find much info on FIP on the net when I was looking back when Jasper was still around. Nothing that really defined what it was. Again, I've lived with cats my entire life so I know when something is going on and if it's treatable but this was my first (and HOPEFULLY THE LAST!) experience I've had with FIP. I never want to hear my vet call me again and leave a voicemail saying, "We suspect it's feline infectious peritonitis after looking at Jasper's charts and blood work. It's a VERY dangerous illness" (the vet also had an accent so I couldn't understand what he was saying until I put it into google).

I'm so very sorry to hear about everyone's loss with their cats/kittens having FIP. I would never wish this upon any animal lover. I remember reading something before about FIP and how the development of fatal FIP occurs in 1 in 5000 cats in households with one or two cats. WOW! I also found this interesting tidbit: "Kittens usually start showing signs of FIP when they are between 3 months and 2 years of age. Most of the kittens with FIP die between 8 and 18 months of age."... Jasper started showing signs and then two weeks later he was put down it was that quick. But then again looking back he was also very thin. I read up on one article showing the symptoms of the dry and wet form and it looks like he had the dry form (loss of appetite, lethargic, non-regenerative anemia, eyes, diarrhea, and loss of balance and seizures). There were a few times we'd see him almost stumble as he walked or it looked like he had a twitch here and there (it just looked out of place if that makes sense).