3yr old rescue - Chews on cables, cardboard, rubber bands, pine pellets, and more

dthlo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a 3yr old rescue, and have had her for 2 months now. She's gradually been chewing on more and more things over time.

When I've had her home on her own, I've only discovered her chewing on paper. So she's pretty good on that end
When I am home, she generally follows me around (not a lap cap), and likes to stay in the same room as me, socially distanced ;). But she'll start chewing on laptop cables (maybe 2-3 times per day) that have protective covers. She's also chewed on her hairbrush and nail clippers that were by my side (only once). If there's a rubber band lying around, she will definitely go for that, and I've caught her gnawing on saran wrap and tin foil a handful of times. When she gets the zoomies, she's been known to chomp on pine pellets. Yesterday, she started ripping apart 1 cardboard box (not digesting cardboard) that's been out for months, but has left 2 other cardboard boxes alone.

We brush her teeth daily, use interactive toys with her about 3 times per day, and use a puzzle feeder in the morning and evening that is pretty challenging. In general she's good, but she gets this look in her eyes and I can tell she's going to find something to chomp on.

Was wondering why her chewing of inanimate items is progressing, if there's a way to rule out Pica, or if you here have any other suggestions (e.g. leave cardboard box out?, does shaking a coin jar work?). Thanks!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I'm not sure about determining Pica, but
try giving her things she can chew on, and use bitter apple and cord covers on things you can't remove, and pick up EVERY thing. When she gets that look, can you take her for walks?

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It could be that she is trying to get your attention when you are home - and, I am sure she has learned she can get a reaction out of you by chewing on things! I am not sure about the pine pellets, though. I don't think Pica can be ruled out, or confirmed, with any certainty that I know of. I suppose your vet could check for vitamin/electrolyte/enzyme/chemical imbalances, in case that might be the cause.

I would leave her cardboard to chomp on, and certainly make sure no rubber bands are accidently left out. One of my previous cats would go for a rubber band every time she laid eyes on one! And, with Feeby (15+ yo) - I have to make sure all plastic bags are out of her site, as she wants to chew on them (not eat, thankfully) - she has all of her life.

DaphnesMommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Your kitty must be related to my 3-year -old cat Kiefurr Sutherland. Kiefurr plays with and chews on anything and everything. Cardboard boxes are one of his favorite things. My husband and I called him a little termite because he would chew on a cardboard box and leave the floor covered with tiny little pieces of cardboard. He also chews on metal which has concerned me. He chews on the handles of the cabinet doors and tries to chew on loose little screws (which I don't know how he finds). Last Christmas I had to take him to the vet because he swallowed something which the vet was concerned was wrapped around his intestine. He loves to stick his head under running water, so I have seen him turn the metal kitchen faucet and make the water run. I am worried he might break his teeth or worse!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
DaphnesMommy DaphnesMommy - Feeby also likes to chew on metal if she can get to it - things like rings on purse handles, for example - so anything like that is kept out of her reach. Thankfully, she doesn't seem to have ever correlated the cabinet door handles as a chewing option nor has she ever been one to get up on kitchen or bathroom counters! For the cabinet door handles, as well as the faucets, you could try to keep on hand a cat deterrent spray or citrus spray to use on these items to minimize his interest in them - spray them directly, or wet a paper towel with the spray and wipe them down with it. As far as the running water goes, it might be worth it to buy a water fountain that he could use instead.

Last edited:

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
graycie chews cords and cables also i had to buy new hdmi cables 4 times already.along with few laptop/cell phone charger cords.bitter apple kinda works what has worked best for me is this flex tubing to protect cables i bought at a lowes. its pretty sturdy and so far has kept her away from the real danger of chewing into that live wire and getting zapped or causing a short and catching fire to my place. i buy dog chew toys for her to chew and play with since they last much longer than the cat ones :lol: . last vet visit the doc said her teeth are okay just likes to chew stuff.

DaphnesMommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. FeebysOwner. Thanks for your response. Kiefurr is the sweetest troublemaker I have ever had. He has a water fountain, but I am guessing it doesn't present the same challenge to him as the kitchen faucet. I have three other cats he loves to play with, but when they are sleeping or doing something else, he likes to investigate and play with things (although the cats have many toys). I play with him, too, since it makes him so happy. He's got a very active and curious mind, and he purrs when I present him a challenge of some kind. For example, if my spoon is near him, he might play with it. But when I move the spoon, he reaches out his paw to try to flip it. This is when he starts to purr, so taking things away from him seems to intrigue him rather than discourage him. He also takes my earplugs, which I try to prevent because I am worried he will choke. Yesterday, he took one of my earplugs, and I found it and hid it from him. I could not believe how long he searched for it, but I think he also enjoyed the challenge of trying to find it.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What a darling little cat 💓

I just bought a (the fifth one we're trying in about as many years) Pioneer Pet swan drinking fountain. I'm by golly going to keep trying until I find one he likes that will replace his kitchen sink faucet addiction and I'm not even caring any more (that much...) about the material it's made from, --hopefully this one works :) :crossfingers:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
If he doesn’t eat cardboard I would give him lots of it. Boxes and scratchers may satisfy his need to chew and keep him occupied. One of those big cardboard cat houses would be perfect.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your kitty must be related to my 3-year -old cat Kiefurr Sutherland. Kiefurr plays with and chews on anything and everything. Cardboard boxes are one of his favorite things. My husband and I called him a little termite because he would chew on a cardboard box and leave the floor covered with tiny little pieces of cardboard. He also chews on metal which has concerned me. He chews on the handles of the cabinet doors and tries to chew on loose little screws (which I don't know how he finds). Last Christmas I had to take him to the vet because he swallowed something which the vet was concerned was wrapped around his intestine. He loves to stick his head under running water, so I have seen him turn the metal kitchen faucet and make the water run. I am worried he might break his teeth or worse!
worse than watching a toddler

DaphnesMommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes,.Kiefurr is definitely my little toddler. He's like a little Tazmanian devil! It looks like dthlo's little girl kitty is also like a wild little toddler.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dthlo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Has anyone seen any success with raw food as a means of reducing this chewing habits?

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Gracious sakes, I thought only horses could "inflict" damage by chewing like this LOL

I don't know about raw addressing this, but I think it could be a great idea if you can ensure that all the needed nutrients are added, with Alnutrin or EZComplete, that sort of thing (I think there are now a couple others on the market as well).

by the way --
I just bought a (the fifth one we're trying in about as many years) Pioneer Pet swan drinking fountain. I'm by golly going to keep trying until I find one he likes that will replace his kitchen sink faucet addiction and I'm not even caring any more (that much...) about the material it's made from, --hopefully this one works
!!!! IT WORKED !!!!

So, back to the original thought, you could start a separate thread in the raw feeding forum :)
Raw & Home-Cooked Cat Food