3am wake up calls....

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I posted this last week in the PL, but I'd like a more definative answer for my question.

Ok, so I am not complaining.... but here goes.... Each night at about 3am I get a tiny cuddly visitor that climbs my side of the bed (12 wk old siamese/tabby boy Leo).... He claws his way up over my sleeping body and makes a nest under my chin & against my neck... sometimes he will use my neck as a pillow and drape his little head over it. He always bites my nose lightly and then promptly kisses it, as if to say "meowmy I'm HERE!" and he always gives me licks & kisses on my lips.... The whole time he is purring like a wild child.... Now I have to tell you, it is by far the cutest sweetest love fest I have ever participated in.... He lovingly rubs his little face all over me.... And I just fill up with joy... BUT, it's 3am.... And I take forever to get back to sleep.....The next day I'm exhausted! (everyday lately...it's been a week straight so far) He will keep me awake with kisses & purring for about 45 minutes, and he rolls around under my neck giving me love bites so gently... I have to tell you it's the only time this little boy is even remotely affectionate... He is so hard wired for playtime....even if it means hanging from the side of his Mommy's thighs till she bleeds.
And while I will not trade my 3am love fest with Leo for anything in the world.... does you have any ideas to get him to change it to 6am even versus 3am?! Or do you know why he comes in at 3am for some cuddling time?

Thanks for your help!

catpsych

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi again! Let's see, gosh not really kittens are very active and can be extremely lovey at night. This is more of Leo's biological rhythm at work and so much a habit. He probably is doing this because as a younger kitten he woke at this hour to nurse and he is used to it, and now you are mummy so he comes to you. I would NOT recommend feeding him at this hour to get him to stop (as mamacat did), because if you reward the behavior it will continue into adulthood, which you definently don't want to happen. I would just ignore the behavior for the most part and it will lessen as he grows up. So bad news is I can't help you move it to 6am, good news is it will not last forever....it should start decreasing around 4 months and totally stop by 6 months. So, enjoy your lovefest, just don't reward it with food, then you might REALLY have a problem on your hands. I wish I had better news for you, a lot of us kitten parents go through the same thing, my kitty Puna used to drive me nuts as a kitten at night....some nights I wanted to toss his cute little butt right out the window! So, I feel your frustration, but the behavior will pass.

Hope you catch a good nights rest soon,
Kerry

Originally Posted by LuckyGirl

I posted this last week in the PL, but I'd like a more definative answer for my question.

And while I will not trade my 3am love fest with Leo for anything in the world.... does you have any ideas to get him to change it to 6am even versus 3am?! Or do you know why he comes in at 3am for some cuddling time?

Thanks for your help!