3 yr old limping after vaccination

Diana Faye

Always and Forever, Irving
Adult Cat
Purraise
I posted recently about my not so one eyed cat the other day and going to a new vet, since are usual passed away.

Both cats went on Friday afternoonfor a first visit/ yearly exam and vaccines. The previous clinic did not send over their records in time for the appointment but they had told me previously that they would be due for their shots July and August, which I relayed. They're both only indoors, so they only got distemper and rabies vaccination.

Saturday afternoon (approx 24 hrs later), my definitely two eyed cat developed an intermittent limp on his left hind. They had been watching/ chasing chipmunks through the window. At first I wasn't sure what I was seeing, and then it stopped. Happened a couple more times last night and today. He'll be totally fine, doesn't object to me touching either leg or paws, eating, playing, etc. Then all of the sudden he won't put weight on it and hesitant to move. Lasts for a few seconds, sometimes he'll flop on that side to lay, and then he's back to normal.

He's never had a reaction before, and I honestly don't recall which leg they injected him. I'm not sure if he did something chasing chipmunks or if this is a reaction to the vaccines? He's quite athletic normally so I'm doubtful just running would have done something. Vet deemed him perfectly healthy at the time of the visit.

Any idea what this is, or how serious it could be? Office doesn't open until Monday so I can't call them until then. I did manage to get a brief video of it happening.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It could just be the way they administered the vaccine that irritated a muscle that bugs him with certain movements and not others. Unless he gets worse, you are probably fine to wait until the vet opens to ask them about it. Maybe take a couple of more videos so you can compare them to see if it improves or becomes more bothersome?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Diana Faye

Always and Forever, Irving
Adult Cat
Purraise
It could just be the way they administered the vaccine that irritated a muscle that bugs him with certain movements and not others. Unless he gets worse, you are probably fine to wait until the vet opens to ask them about it. Maybe take a couple of more videos so you can compare them to see if it improves or becomes more bothersome?
Dropped off the urine for the other cat and mentioned the limping, but I have not heard back. I at least wanted to confirm which leg. I should've paid better attention I guess, my memory is terrible. Yesterday the limping seemed to stop but he was extra needy for cuddles all night. Today he seems back to his old self so I'm hoping it has passed.

I've been accustomed to getting the recommended vaccines every year, but now I'm thinking maybe to ask about decreasing that. I know his symptoms seemed very minor but it did give me a scare, and they're strictly indoors. I'll have to look more into that

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Totally your call, but personally I would be very wary of not vaccinating, even if the cat is indoor only. People coming in and out of the home, including yourself, can bring in bacteria that your cat can catch, especially unvaccinated. Also, once the deadline for vaccination is missed, within a few months your cat will cease to be covered and more susceptible to the disease they were previously vaccinated against.

Again, not trying to push vaccination onto you, absolutely your choice. But maybe observe the reaction to his next vax very closely and see if there is any reaction, to rule out coincidence. Glad he is okay though, how scary!

bear

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ask his Vet if he can be moved to 3 year vaccines.
I know our Vet records the location of each vax (which leg).

Just make sure that he still makes his annual wellness visit.