3 Year Vs. 1 Year Rabies Vaccine

wawadoll8

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Greetings fellow cat lovers!:catlove:

I live in New York state, and was told by multiple vets that New York state law requires rabies vaccination-- even regarding my cat who is strictly indoors.

From my research and after speaking with vets, I need to get a non-adjuvent rabies vaccination and there is availability of this vaccine in every 3 years or 1 year.

I keep hearing conflicting things are yearly rabies vaccine is not recommended for cats because it is too much to be stuck yearly vs. every 3 years. But, then, I will hear that every 3 years is not good because the dosage is high and higher chance for a negative reaction.

The cost for a three year is actually cheaper than annually based on the vets that I am seeing.

So, this is my question: Do you get your cat rabies vaccine yearly or every 3 years, and why so?

Very curious and in need of your experiences so I can best narrow down the best vet and options for my little Ricky kitty boy who is actually due for his rabies vaccine next month! Oh, and, Ricky has already had his first rabies vaccine in May 2017, so this is why I am not sure if I should go for yearly or every three years.

Thank you so much!
Mary :angelcat:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Mary,

We go for three years, when applicable. If he's had one vaccine (I presume as a kitten?), and it's due now, this vaccine might be the last yearly needed depending on your location, vet, and all that stuff.

Also....

Ask your vet about any potential (though rare) side effects from any vaccine and what to watch for should this rare thing happen. Whenever possible, we schedule vaccines as a "first appointment" early in the morning with the vet, on days we will be home, so we can watch and get that cat back in if a reaction occurs. It can be a rare thing, but we err on the side of caution =D
It's probably over protection, but if a reaction should occur we want to see it immediately and not have to stress over being away and worrying, nor do we want to incur an emergency cost after hours if we can avoid it.

Hugospal

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As far I know, I think it's the same vaccine, just the protocol/label is different. if they are kittens it's only good for a year, then as long as you are not late on vaccines it is every three years after that, but it's the same dosage and product. Some places do require rabies every year for an animal. My old vet accidentally vaccinated one of my cats two years in a row when a 3 year was in effect and apologized but said it wouldn't hurt him. Shelter pets with no history just get re-vaccinated no matter what. pets that come in contact with bats even though rabies is in date still get re-vaccinated just in case.

I don't think there's much reason to do every year. We keep rabies and FVRCP up to date. Each of my cats got at least one FeLV (feline leukemia) vaccine done when they were younger but I don't get them re-vaccinated for that since they're indoor.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I get the 3 year for my cats. Its legal to do so in our state. and the less often they need injections the safer i feel. Injection site sarcoma is something i want to lessen the possibility of as much as possible. They still get their yearly check up, we just dont need to vaccinate yearly now.

theyremine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
According to our rescue's vet and my personal vet, the 1 year and 3 year are the same dosage. After the first vaccination you need the next one within a year, (a few days before anniversary date) and then it is every 3 years after that. I'm not sure if the "within one year" is the manufacturer's guideline or state of MA.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wawadoll8

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for all your help and insight! I really appreciate it! I wonder if the yearly is just a money maker for vets then...bad of me to think this, but can't help but admit that the thought popped into my mind. :dunno:

wawadoll8

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Mary,

We go for three years, when applicable. If he's had one vaccine (I presume as a kitten?), and it's due now, this vaccine might be the last yearly needed depending on your location, vet, and all that stuff.

Also....

Ask your vet about any potential (though rare) side effects from any vaccine and what to watch for should this rare thing happen. Whenever possible, we schedule vaccines as a "first appointment" early in the morning with the vet, on days we will be home, so we can watch and get that cat back in if a reaction occurs. It can be a rare thing, but we err on the side of caution =D
It's probably over protection, but if a reaction should occur we want to see it immediately and not have to stress over being away and worrying, nor do we want to incur an emergency cost after hours if we can avoid it.
That is a really smart idea to book Ricky early in the AM with the vet! :-) I'm extra cautious, too, and actually prefer first thing in the morning, but they know I ask lots of questions so they always want to book me at a particular time so I have more time to ask questions...lol!

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is a really smart idea to book Ricky early in the AM with the vet! :-) I'm extra cautious, too, and actually prefer first thing in the morning, but they know I ask lots of questions so they always want to book me at a particular time so I have more time to ask questions...lol!
Thanks!! Just makes sure it's on a day you don't have to rush in, vaccinate, then rush them home and rush off to work for 8 hours =)
I doubt it's a problem, but we tend to err on the side of caution (or, paranoia) and like to be around so we see if any problems arise.
We also feed our pets twice a day, and the morning meal is a meal of flaked meat (sometimes bones and organs) and the evening meal is when chunked food, large pieces of food, and medications and supplements happen and anything else that is time consuming, so we're around to watch!

If your vet knows you well enough to know you like to ask questions, maybe giving them a ring beforehand with any questions you have would be good so they don't feel pressured for time, and neither do you! A lot of vets, if you call a good bit in advance, are happy to call you back in a day or so with any questions or concerns. With serious problems, I want to know EVERYTHING I should watch for, and what to do if it arises. With our guy that's having problems, there's instructions posted in the cat's kitchen cabinet for our help that says what to look for, what to do if those symptoms present themselves if we happen to not be around. The vets phone number is there, our cell #'s are there, and specific instructions are outlined, highlighted and have been discussed with every single person here.
Did I mention, we're quite paranoid?! =D
I too ask questions, and this isn't some weird form of "well, I think I know better than you" but I'm honestly curious, and like to learn about my pets health and husbandry as a whole.
I also remind them I don't wish to bother them via follow up of any appointment with a ton of questions. They're busy, I'm busy, and my cats are busier than both of us put together (and, in their minds, more important, LOL) so getting this basic information out of the way is good. If serious situations arise, they know I'll call, but if I'm prepared for little stuff, they (and I) know we're all good.
=)

Blakeney Green

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
According to our rescue's vet and my personal vet, the 1 year and 3 year are the same dosage. After the first vaccination you need the next one within a year, (a few days before anniversary date) and then it is every 3 years after that. I'm not sure if the "within one year" is the manufacturer's guideline or state of MA.
I live in New York (like the original poster) and it's the same here.

There is no difference between the 1 year and the 3 year - it's solely based on when it's administered - so there is really no downside to opting for three years of protection. I go for the three year for my animals as soon as they're eligible for it.

Also just confirming, it is indeed correct that the rabies vaccine is required here in NY even for indoor cats.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I vaccinate every year. I believe this is required by the state, and the county for sure so it can collect its $95 tax per cat. Yikes! We get a metal tag, which of course is too heavy for the cat to wear because it's meant for a dog.

I like the cats having an annual checkup, though. I just had Lily in, and the vet suggested a flea comb for her excessive shedding. She has been throwing up hairballs, and the fur flies when I pet her. That suggestion has been wonderful. No more hairballs.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I vaccinate every year. I believe this is required by the state, and the county for sure so it can collect its $95 tax per cat. Yikes! We get a metal tag, which of course is too heavy for the cat to wear because it's meant for a dog.

I like the cats having an annual checkup, though. I just had Lily in, and the vet suggested a flea comb for her excessive shedding. She has been throwing up hairballs, and the fur flies when I pet her. That suggestion has been wonderful. No more hairballs.
We LOVE our greyhound comb for breaking up clumpy under coat but a flea comb removes a lot of dead hair.
Side note: if a cat (rhetorically speaking) hates being brushed/combed, dunk that brush or comb into a bowl of lukewarm water every few strokes to cut down on static.
I was combing one of my boys one day and noticed that my hand on him felt the static from the dry comb and the fact that he's not the most cooperative made sense; I wouldn't want to be hit with static with every hair-stroke if I was getting my hair cut or worked on, either.
For clumpy, packed coats (it happens in short hairs too!!!), we love pin brushes or slicker brushes that have pins on the end before attacking the coat with a comb or flea comb. The pin-slicker or pin brush should go through the coat easily. When that's obtained, back brushing should be just as smooth, then the comb can come out.
Less fuss, less pulling/breakage of coat and a happier cat.
JME.

wawadoll8

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I live in New York (like the original poster) and it's the same here.

There is no difference between the 1 year and the 3 year - it's solely based on when it's administered - so there is really no downside to opting for three years of protection. I go for the three year for my animals as soon as they're eligible for it.

Also just confirming, it is indeed correct that the rabies vaccine is required here in NY even for indoor cats.
Whew! The three year is cheaper of a one-time/3 years fee of $91 to cover those three years. The vets I have been in contact with said that the rabies vaccine is New York state law even for indoor cats. However, one of the vets said to me that if I am really not for continuing the rabies vaccine for my strictly indoor cat then that is fine and she will have me sign a waiver declining the rabies vaccine going forward. She recommended that I at least do the baseline rabies vaccine for my kitty cat Ricky and then we can re-visit three years later to sign waiver or continue with the three year vaccine. Honestly, I think every vet/vet hospital or clinic has their own guidelines, but I was told that the rabies vaccine is mandated by New York state law. One of my friends said: "Well, who is going to know if you do not get the rabies vaccine?" At my co-op, I have to report my cat's rabies vaccine. If I didn't have to do that, I probably wouldn't even get the vaccine!

wawadoll8

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Whew! The three year is cheaper of a one-time/3 years fee of $91 to cover those three years. The vets I have been in contact with said that the rabies vaccine is New York state law even for indoor cats. However, one of the vets said to me that if I am really not for continuing the rabies vaccine for my strictly indoor cat then that is fine and she will have me sign a waiver declining the rabies vaccine going forward. She recommended that I at least do the baseline rabies vaccine for my kitty cat Ricky and then we can re-visit three years later to sign waiver or continue with the three year vaccine. Honestly, I think every vet/vet hospital or clinic has their own guidelines, but I was told that the rabies vaccine is mandated by New York state law. One of my friends said: "Well, who is going to know if you do not get the rabies vaccine?" At my co-op, I have to report my cat's rabies vaccine. If I didn't have to do that, I probably wouldn't even get the vaccine!
Oh, and the every 3 year fee is at my vet hospital...what about yours? It is $45 for the yearly rabies vaccine.

wawadoll8

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We LOVE our greyhound comb for breaking up clumpy under coat but a flea comb removes a lot of dead hair.
Side note: if a cat (rhetorically speaking) hates being brushed/combed, dunk that brush or comb into a bowl of lukewarm water every few strokes to cut down on static.
I was combing one of my boys one day and noticed that my hand on him felt the static from the dry comb and the fact that he's not the most cooperative made sense; I wouldn't want to be hit with static with every hair-stroke if I was getting my hair cut or worked on, either.
For clumpy, packed coats (it happens in short hairs too!!!), we love pin brushes or slicker brushes that have pins on the end before attacking the coat with a comb or flea comb. The pin-slicker or pin brush should go through the coat easily. When that's obtained, back brushing should be just as smooth, then the comb can come out.
Less fuss, less pulling/breakage of coat and a happier cat.
JME.
My Ricky boy LOVES being brushed! He purrs merrily and gives me the slow blinks as if to say: "Keep going on massaging me!" Haha! :-)

wawadoll8

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks!! Just makes sure it's on a day you don't have to rush in, vaccinate, then rush them home and rush off to work for 8 hours =)
I doubt it's a problem, but we tend to err on the side of caution (or, paranoia) and like to be around so we see if any problems arise.
We also feed our pets twice a day, and the morning meal is a meal of flaked meat (sometimes bones and organs) and the evening meal is when chunked food, large pieces of food, and medications and supplements happen and anything else that is time consuming, so we're around to watch!

If your vet knows you well enough to know you like to ask questions, maybe giving them a ring beforehand with any questions you have would be good so they don't feel pressured for time, and neither do you! A lot of vets, if you call a good bit in advance, are happy to call you back in a day or so with any questions or concerns. With serious problems, I want to know EVERYTHING I should watch for, and what to do if it arises. With our guy that's having problems, there's instructions posted in the cat's kitchen cabinet for our help that says what to look for, what to do if those symptoms present themselves if we happen to not be around. The vets phone number is there, our cell #'s are there, and specific instructions are outlined, highlighted and have been discussed with every single person here.
Did I mention, we're quite paranoid?! =D
I too ask questions, and this isn't some weird form of "well, I think I know better than you" but I'm honestly curious, and like to learn about my pets health and husbandry as a whole.
I also remind them I don't wish to bother them via follow up of any appointment with a ton of questions. They're busy, I'm busy, and my cats are busier than both of us put together (and, in their minds, more important, LOL) so getting this basic information out of the way is good. If serious situations arise, they know I'll call, but if I'm prepared for little stuff, they (and I) know we're all good.
=)
Can't thank you enough for all your insight! I am just about a year into having my very first cat, so all your advice and everyone's advice is so helpful :-) Just messaged you personally :-) Give my love to your kitty cats!

Blakeney Green

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
However, one of the vets said to me that if I am really not for continuing the rabies vaccine for my strictly indoor cat then that is fine and she will have me sign a waiver declining the rabies vaccine going forward.
Just so you are aware, the NY Department of Health tends to come down pretty hard if an unvaccinated cat should chance to bite someone. In our state I would personally suggest erring on the side of vaccinating.

wawadoll8

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the advice! Yeah, my vet warned me about this for sure.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just so you are aware, the NY Department of Health tends to come down pretty hard if an unvaccinated cat should chance to bite someone. In our state I would personally suggest erring on the side of vaccinating.
I personally feel an every 3 years rabies vaccine is silly, but that's JMO, but I do truthfully understand the laws surrounding such things and problems that could arise from a non-UTD cat biting someone. And then there's the completely sue-happy society we live in to take into consideration...
If a vet is OK with it, make sure they explain to you potential ramifications if you decline the vaccine and what could happen/need to be done should your cat somehow escape and bite someone. "Biting out of fear" doesn't work here. =( If your state demands a quarantine, know exactly for how long and where (some states IIRC will allow an in-home quarantine, while others demand it at a vets office or other place for evaluation.) Talk to your vet in depth. You pay them for this kind of thing.
Some states have a state wide law, others are mandated by county so it really varies.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the advice! Yeah, my vet warned me about this for sure.
We've had medical exemptions before for very sick or chronically ill pets. Our vets that we work with range from holistic to completely allopathic and NON-holistic types, and all agreed on these handful of guys we've had that vaccines were unnecessary and potentially harmful.
I doubt this will be allowable in 10-20 years. I was terrified to vaccinate a very sick dog that was due for a "booster" and our very non-holistic minded vet suggested a medical exemption. I could have kissed her, LOL!
Edit: These pets were old, sick, and nearing the end of their lives. In dog or cat years, they would have been 80+ year olds. Giving an 80 or 90 year old human that's chronically ill a "booster shot" seems laughable. I'm very glad my vets realized this ridiculous concept...

wawadoll8

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We've had medical exemptions before for very sick or chronically ill pets. Our vets that we work with range from holistic to completely allopathic and NON-holistic types, and all agreed on these handful of guys we've had that vaccines were unnecessary and potentially harmful.
I doubt this will be allowable in 10-20 years. I was terrified to vaccinate a very sick dog that was due for a "booster" and our very non-holistic minded vet suggested a medical exemption. I could have kissed her, LOL!
I wish there was a holistic vet here that I could talk to. I'd love to get that holistic vet's opinion! Personally, I am very conservative and try to do as little and least mandatory/necessary as possible. It is so easy to get sucked into a vortex of tests that is not so necessary and could cause more harm than good. If it was not New York state law for the rabies vaccine as mandatory, I would not even get it.