3 year old FIV+ breathing fast, no other symptoms

tml1991

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Over the last couple weeks, I have noticed my three year old FIV+ male cat, breathing faster than usual, mainly when he's awake. After he falls asleep comfortably, and 5-10 minutes go by, his breathing rate goes down. He isn't showing any other symptoms, and has a bigger appetite now than he has in a long time, as when he was first diagnosed with FIV, he had mouth ulcers and wasn't eating well for awhile.I am low on money at the moment, or I would have taken him to the vet already. I am also confused, as to why he has this unusual symptom and nothing else. I have checked for swelling too, and found nothing. Has anyone else experienced this with their cat? The cat I am posting about is also very skiddish and jumpy, and is always trying to get into something. He also cries out any time he smells food cooking, especially chicken or turkey. He behaves more like a kitten sometimes than a grown cat.

Ravynn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's usually recommended to count breaths per minute when they are resting/asleep as when they are awake any number of things could be stimulating them or they could be sniffing something. I would say just because i've been anxious about this with 2 differents cats, it sounds okay. I would be worried if he was breathing fast when asleep. Unless any other symptoms pop up, I don't think this is an emergency. Being FIV+, I would say it wouldn't hurt to get a wellness check up when you have the money.