3 weeks old kitten with no mom.

meowreen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. I need help. How can I take care of this 3week old kitten. Her eyes and ears are open. Ive been feeding her using a dropper. I have a cat and 2month old 2kittens and theyre not getting well together with the kitten. What shall I do? Today, the kitten hadnt poop or pee. Pls help.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hi. I need help. How can I take care of this 3week old kitten. Her eyes and ears are open. Ive been feeding her using a dropper. I have a cat and 2month old 2kittens and theyre not getting well together with the kitten. What shall I do? Today, the kitten hadnt poop or pee. Pls help.
Keep the kitten warm enough (warm it up if necesserily, weak kittens this age dont always manage to keep warm themselves).  Be sure she isnt dehydrated.  It takes forces, and makes she cant pee nor poo.   Common water, body temp, is OK, but some sort of home made pedialyte is even better...

How long have you care of this kitten?  Is he found yesterday or??

What milk are you giving it, exactly?    She needs a kitten replacement milk, or goat milk, is fine too.

Are you stimultating it to pee, or are you hoping she will pee on her own?   DID she poo and pee earlier?

Do you have a scale, preferably measuring in grammes?  This way its easier to see if he gains, or not...

Dropper is OK to begin with. Its easier with a suitable syringe.  Some like bottle, but sometimes bottle is more difficult...

A good site for help with orphans is www.kitten-rescue.com

I will proceed as soon as I know better how to put further questions and suggestions

Tx for helping this little sis of ours!

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

meowreen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Im giving her a lactose free pets milk. Took her in last night. She hasnt pee or poop since i found her. I just found out how to stimulate and just did it earlier. I dont have a scale though.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Im giving her a lactose free pets milk. Took her in last night. She hasnt pee or poop since i found her. I just found out how to stimulate and just did it earlier. I dont have a scale though.
This lactose free pets milk is good to start with, if you dont have anything else, but she needs more substantial food. Kitten replacement milk, kmr, the best is made by PetAg, commonly called for KMR, in powder.  GNC is making good kmr them too, often based on goat milk.   Royal Canin has a good kmr them too.  You can get  them in a good pet shop. Walmart should have them in their Pet compartment.   Also vets usually sell them.

Goat milk is useful too, a good alternative.  Raw is best, but bottled is OK. Diary compartments in many shops has them.  Here in Sweden I have seen them in shops owned by arabian owners.

Make sure the  milk - or water you give, is body warm.

Using the dropper or a syringe: tummy down, head up, in the corner of the mouth, slowly and carefully so she dont get the fluid in wrong throat.  If she swallows actively, you can do it a little quicker, otherwise - be very slow...

Burp afterwards on your shoulder, like a baby.

A scale isnt not life necessary, but an useful gadget to know how she is going...

I suspect strongly she is dehydrated, that is why she doesnt pee.  But stimulation should help - at this age she can probably do it herself, but it isnt wrong if you do it.  It helps her to feel she is loved, if nothing else.

You tried to have her together with your female and your two kittens, roughly the same age.  Why didnt it went well?   It "should".

Although, to do so, you must be reasonably sure she is healthy, you dont want to risk contagion on your resident.

So unless your mom isnt herself an ex homeless and made of tough wood, most rescuers wouldnt risk this - unless they were safe there is no contagion.  Say its a kitten from neigbours healthy cat, who died by some accident.

And thus, most rescuers are doing like you do: they  help that orphaned kitten themselves, even if they do have a nursing mom...

Do you need a recipe for basic pedialyte, or do you think you can manage it yourself?

End of this message

Good luck!

Last edited:

meowreen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just stimulated her again. Finally she peed.yes pls. Recipe for pedialite. She might need it. I dont know why its not working well with the mom and the other kitten. But the other kitten looks she is cool with it. Last bigjt she was aggreasive towards the orphan kitten. But now, she just walks away whenever the kitten geta near her or i try to feed her through my female cat.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
OK, pedialyte.

There are several ways to get it.

You need essentially glucose sugar, salt and water.

You can surely buy glucose sugar in your common shop, its sold in packages of powder. The brand name may be Dextropur or Dextrose...

If you dont have it, white caro syrup or even honey can be used.  Even common food sugar may be used, but it takes much longer time for working.

Salt, common kitchen salt is OK, but the so called minerale kitchen salt is even better, it contains more of different  salts.

A nice source may be  natural mineral well water of good qualtity, ("Polish water" is a brand one forumite mentioned once, but there must be lots of others too).  They do contain lotsa of different salts.  You see it on their label.   You let the gas bubble out, and voilá, you have a good base for pedialyte.  Just to add the glucose sugar...

OK, the recipe is:

15-18 gram of glucose  -  about 2 tablespoons or slightly more

3 gram of salt   about 1 tea spoon

1 liter water

stir it preferably by heating up into boiling,

let be body temp, use.

Dont spare too long, better make a new portions.

Can be used for humans too, its essentially the WHO recipe.

You can use the bough variation too, but these are flavored, which isnt the optimal.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Let me understand clearly, you have a nursing mom cat with 2 one month old kittens?

Ideally we want to get mom to accept her, so if this info is correct we will work on getting the unfamiliar scent off of her and moms scent on her.

I personally have never had a mom cat reject a kitten baby.

Luck? Not sure really but many many times have saved successfully this way rather than the hard way.

Also, the lactose free pet milk? That's not the sweetened milk treat for cats is it? Like Whiskas makes one, or one called cat sip.

meowreen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Let me understand clearly, you have a nursing mom cat with 2 one month old kittens?

Ideally we want to get mom to accept her, so if this info is correct we will work on getting the unfamiliar scent off of her and moms scent on her.

I personally have never had a mom cat reject a kitten baby.

Luck? Not sure really but many many times have saved successfully this way rather than the hard way.

Also, the lactose free pet milk? That's not the sweetened milk treat for cats is it? Like Whiskas makes one, or one called cat sip.
I have a cat nursing 2 2month old kitten. A boy and a girl. And I found a kitten that seems to be 3weeks old. When I found her her eyes and ears are already open. When I took her home the first day, the mother cat gets aggressive, making sounds and trying to scratch the kitten, so is my 2month old boy kitten. But my 2month old girl kitten seems to be cool with it. The 2nd day, the mother cat isnt aggressive towards the kitten anymore but she just walks away and stay out of the house whenever she sees the kitten. Im feeding her Cosi Pet's milk Lactose Free.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a cat nursing 2 2month old kitten. A boy and a girl. And I found a kitten that seems to be 3weeks old. When I found her her eyes and ears are already open. When I took her home the first day, the mother cat gets aggressive, making sounds and trying to scratch the kitten, so is my 2month old boy kitten. But my 2month old girl kitten seems to be cool with it. The 2nd day, the mother cat isnt aggressive towards the kitten anymore but she just walks away and stay out of the house whenever she sees the kitten. Im feeding her Cosi Pet's milk Lactose Free.
Okay I see now.

Cosi's pets milk is fine first of all.

What I think is happening with mom is, that she is sick and tired of nursing at this point, at 2 months they want to be done, actually it starts about 5-6 weeks and escalates, spending less and less time available for nursing. They lose that great maternal instinct/feelings, so she is not looking at the kitten as a mom would.

Those teeth and all, it becomes actually painful for them.

Curious why they are still nursing, also if you plan to spay her before she is prego again, as she will be very soon if not already.

The kitten's age means given maybe a week or so, he will be able to eat on his own.

Sometimes it happens as early as 3 1/2 weeks old when they're hungry enough.

I can tell you exactly your kittens age if you can tell me in great detail about him. How does he walk, are his hind legs in normal walking position or scooting/crouched?

Is he coordinated or unsteady and clumsy? Can he try to run at all?

Is he not walking at all yet?

Last edited:

meowreen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
After I feed her, she is still sucking on my skin, is there any, like pacifier I can buy from the pet store?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does she have teeth? If so, you can offer some solids. Maybe a very pasty canned food mixed with kitten milk or some meat baby food (check the ingredients to make sure it doesn't have onion or garlic powder). If no teeth, keep giving just formula.

From what I can find about Cosi Pet Milk, it's just regular milk with the lactose removed. This isn't suitable for orphan kittens as it doesn't have all the necessary vitamins. You need proper kitten baby formula like KMR. You can find recipes for kitten formula online if you can't find any pre-made formula. But she definitely needs something more nutritious than just lactose-free milk.

If she keeps suckling after eating, it means she's still hungry, or that the milk isn't filling her nutritional needs. Try giving more of a proper formula, maybe some solids if she's ready, and she shouldn't need a pacifier :D.

meowreen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does she have teeth? If so, you can offer some solids. Maybe a very pasty canned food mixed with kitten milk or some meat baby food (check the ingredients to make sure it doesn't have onion or garlic powder). If no teeth, keep giving just formula.

From what I can find about Cosi Pet Milk, it's just regular milk with the lactose removed. This isn't suitable for orphan kittens as it doesn't have all the necessary vitamins. You need proper kitten baby formula like KMR. You can find recipes for kitten formula online if you can't find any pre-made formula. But she definitely needs something more nutritious than just lactose-free milk.

If she keeps suckling after eating, it means she's still hungry, or that the milk isn't filling her nutritional needs. Try giving more of a proper formula, maybe some solids if she's ready, and she shouldn't need a pacifier :D.
She has very small teeth. Can you pls give me a link of the recipe for the formula?

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She sounds like right about 4 1/2 weeks old.

I am not familiar with Cosi pet's milk, but when I looked it up online, it does say it's good for all ages, and a few sites I read how kittens were raised on this milk when orphaned.

So based on this I said it's fine. Newborn I wouldn't think so great.

She is just about ready for food too. I would start offering her shallow dishes of kitten pate style canned with some milk smashed into it when she is hungry.

It doesn't take long for them to get weaned over to solids.

I highly recommend Royal Canin Babycat dry food, along with kitten canned.

Babycat is loaded with nutrients and all a growing little kitten needs.

I have turned around some very malnutritioned kittens with Babycat.

It's very tiny bits and they all love the taste.

It must say for mothers and baby kittens though, it's not the next step up which is just labeled as kitten.

meowreen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She sounds like right about 4 1/2 weeks old.

I am not familiar with Cosi pet's milk, but when I looked it up online, it does say it's good for all ages, and a few sites I read how kittens were raised on this milk when orphaned.

So based on this I said it's fine. Newborn I wouldn't think so great.

She is just about ready for food too. I would start offering her shallow dishes of kitten pate style canned with some milk smashed into it when she is hungry.

It doesn't take long for them to get weaned over to solids.

I highly recommend Royal Canin Babycat dry food, along with kitten canned.

Babycat is loaded with nutrients and all a growing little kitten needs.
I have turned around some very malnutritioned kittens with Babycat.
It's very tiny bits and they all love the taste.

It must say for mothers and baby kittens though, it's not the next step up which is just labeled as kitten.
Okay. Thanks. Ill try to train ger to eat already.