3 week old not pooping and crying alot

Ab2O

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 3 week old orphan kitten ( at least I think that's how old he is). We just got him the night before last and he has not pooped yet. He is eating well ( kitten formula bottle fed) and peeing, we are stimulating him before feeding and after feeding. He cry's a lot after feeding till he falls asleep ( is that normal)? I am worried that he is getting to upset. I have had kittens before but not bottle feeding age. We put a heating pad on half side of the box under a blanket on just the warm setting. I also put a stuff animal in his box to give him something to snuggle with ( I do this with baby chicks and it soothes them so I thought he might enjoy it to). Anyway is there something I need to be doing or missing?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What kmr are you using? You are sure he get enough with fluids? The pee is concetrated or rather clear?

You can add a couple of drops of oil to his bottle every feeding. Almost any food oil will do, but best are coldpressed olive or rapeseed oil. Because these are healthy nutrients at the same time.... Minerale oil is even more potent, but you must have one of food grade.

Another useful tip, you get a cone of glycerine (suppositorium?). The same as used for humans with constipation. You cut off a thin sliver of this, and stop into the behind...
Its mild and quite effective.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, add 2-3 drops of olive oil to each feeding. It usually softens things and gets it moving. Are you stimulating the kitten to poop after meals?

Try burping the kitten after feeding like you would a baby. Hold upright against your shoulder and gently pat its back. This may help with fussiness.

Otherwise, gently stroke the kitten with a toothbrush all over. It will feel like mama’s tongue cleaning him. He may just need soothing before sleeping since he has no mom or siblings.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is he still hungry after his meal? Not pooping can be a sign of not enough to eat. His little body may need more nutrition than the guidelines on the formula container(guidelines are a suggestion based upon average).
You can add a drop or two of infant simethicone gas drops to his bottle (such as infant Mylicon or Little Remedies gas drops) and lightly massage his sides. A "Miracle Nipple" may help prevent gas & burping him like a baby although at this stage, it is likely to be loneliness, too. A stuffed animal & a ticking travel clock wrapped in a soft cloth can help soothe him. i add a heated rice-or-cormeal stuffed tube sock alongside or underneath the stuffed animal to add an additional comforting presence. Bless you for rescuing him :rock: