3 week old kittens not eating

Diane Hofmeister

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 4 three week old kittens who are teething? They all chew on the bottle instead of nursing, which frustrates them and they cant get any formula. Are they old enough for kitten food?

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Around 3 weeks isn't a horrible time to introduce to wet kitten food. I don't think there would be any harm in offering them each a small amount of lickable food, a pate style food and see what they do with it. Somewhere around 3-4 weeks is when kittens start eating solid food from what I've read and experienced.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Give it a shot with the food. Couldn't do any harm, even though they are a bit young. Mix wet kitten food into a sloppy mix along with KMR. The saucer is good to start them with, although it gets a bit messy.

Perhaps it would be good to start this process by just offering them KMR in the dish, then transitioning them to more solid stuff.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Diane Hofmeister

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They have not eaten well for two feedings now 5, and anre becoming aggressive and bitting and clawing at my hands during feeding I tried giving them wet food mixed with formula but I cant get them interested.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Try wrapping them up burrito style in a towel with only their heads out. They must be really hungry by now.

You can also try using just a 5mL syringe - no nipple. They may latch and suckle better from the syringe.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The purrito is an excellent suggestion! I would use a syringe or plastic dropper (I save mine from antibiotic bottles). Alternately, presenting the formula in a small, shallow lid, such as a baby food jar lid, lets them get the taste of the food without inhaling as much or walking in it. I still place them on a puppy pad or newspaper for faster cleanup
Please let us know what works!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Diane Hofmeister

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
UPDATE the kittens are eating much better! I made a slurry of formula and wet food and boy howdy did they like that! Just about everyone ate until they fell asleep❤ I do have one little girl who is more interested in plain formula but she ate okay and seems to be eating better too thank you all for your advice❤😻😻😻😻

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
UPDATE the kittens are eating much better! I made a slurry of formula and wet food and boy howdy did they like that! Just about everyone ate until they fell asleep❤ I do have one little girl who is more interested in plain formula but she ate okay and seems to be eating better too thank you all for your advice❤😻😻😻😻
As the restaurant guys say, "It's all in the presentation."