3 week.old kitten

Nmarie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I took in a 3 week.old kitten. She was nursing from mom until mom stopped feeding her. I been giving her kmr since yesterday (6-28-21) She hasn't pooped yet. Should I be worried and is there anything I can do?

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Agree, add 2-3 drops of olive oil to her formula to soften things up and get things moving. There is always an adjustment in bowel movements when a kitten moves from mom’s milk to formula. It can take 2 or 3 days to regulate.

What happened to the mom? Is this her only kitten?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nmarie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you tried the technique in this article? Stimulating Kittens — Kitten Lady
I'd start there and see if you can get her to poop. If that doesn't work, adding a drop or two of olive oil to her KMR might do the trick.
Thank you. I've read the article and I been trying to stimulate her. Since its not working I will try everything else. I just wasn't sure if it was normal going from moms milk to kmr but now I know. Thanks for the help.

Nmarie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Agree, add 2-3 drops of olive oil to her formula to soften things up and get things moving. There is always an adjustment in bowel movements when a kitten moves from mom’s milk to formula. It can take 2 or 3 days to regulate.

What happened to the mom? Is this her only kitten?
It was the moms first litter. I think she just got tired and didn't want to do it anymore. She doing great in the beginning. Now, her kittens are being taken care and I'm glad I found this site for help.
Thank you.

Nmarie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys.
So 3 weeks old kitten finally pooped after a week.
Now, I been noticing she's biting the nipple. She will be 4 weeks in 3 days. Some people say she may be ready for weaning from formula to wet food.
I'm nervous because its already taken her so long to poop on the formula and I don't want to make it worse by changing again to wet food.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like she is teething. Baby teeth come in around 4 weeks. Once they are in you can offer soft mush - usually pate-style wet food mixed with formula - and see if she is interested. It should not affect her pooping as long as she continues to get plenty of liquids. Be advised that many kittens will not wean fully until 6-7 weeks old.

Here is a helpful video:

Also, you had a mother cat and kittens back in February. What happened to them? Was the mother cat spayed? Did you find homes for the kittens?

And what is happening to this kitten’s mother and the rest of this litter? Do you feed them? Will they be getting spayed/neutered and re-homed?

I am concerned about constant breeding and endless kittens and the cycle continuing unless these cats and kittens get fixed and get forever homes.