3 week old kitten diarhea

Merlin&Banjo'smom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey, I have six foster kittens, on Friday night two of them started having diarrhea. Now most of them do. They've been entirely quarantined in my bathroom.. mom is still nursing them. The first day we had losses on all of them. Now they're all increasing, the lowest gained 2g. We gave them subq fluids, andnow every evening and morning we're giving them .1 ml metro, .1 ml karo syrup, .5 ml pedialyte, and .1 ml b-12. We also gave a gentle dewormer. I am terrified, for my resident cats too. Does everyone with foster neonates run into this? Are my resident cats safe too?
We did change mom's wet food from royal canine mom and baby to friskies, because she stopped eating the royal. Today the diarhea is a darker brown.

Attachments

Nebaug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How old are they? I’m thinking that deworming is a culprit

Nebaug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There is your problem, they are to young to be dewormed. Diarrhea did not start because of worms and at 21 days mom should be still cleaning them. Once they start eating some sorts of solid food change in stool is common resulting in short periods of diarrhea while young body adjust to food, it’s typically the time they start using litter box. Keep them hydrated until you get hold of vet. Hopefully someone will come along and advise…… better than me.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If the diarrhea is turning brown that is a good sign. The full course of metronidazole should clear the diarrhea. Metronidazole treats intestinal bacterial infection as well as parasites.

If they still have diarrhea after the full treatment, or it returns, they may have coccidia and need Albon.

Treat the mother cat as well. She transmits parasites, etc. through her milk.

Kitten diarrhea is not normal when fostering, so it’s good they are being treated. I took in a pregnant stray and neither she nor her 4 babies ever had diarrhea.

Kittens are not too young to be wormed. Healthy kittens are usually wormed at 8 weeks when they get their first vaccines.

Keep your resident cats separate from this group and they should stay well.

M Merlin&Banjo'smom

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Merlin&Banjo'smom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If the diarrhea is turning brown that is a good sign. The full course of metronidazole should clear the diarrhea. Metronidazole treats intestinal bacterial infection as well as parasites.

How long before I start seeing results?